This team has nothing to hang its head about

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We were a #6 going into a #1 and we almost came back from a 31 point deficit.

You could tell the field conditions and the 10am time slot affected this team. But, if you are the wildcard - you get the crappy slot. That is why you need a greater sense of urgency in winnable games, and why you need to produce in OT when you have the chance. But either way, with their 1 loss record...we would have faced Carolina eventually on their home field and still had to deal with the reality that sloppy grass fields give us fits. Not sure it would have mattered, this was their year to beat us, since they did it to us twice.

Still, considering the key losses throughout the year, this team played a hell of a string. And again, it never folded the tents until that game ended, which is rare for a team down by 31 in any game.

We also got beat by a team that only lost 1 game.

So what are the takeaways from the season?

We have a great new receiver that actually allows us to stretch the field.

We have a new RB that is just as much of a threat (in a different way) as the guy he had to cover for.

Wilson is able to carry this team on offense if need be. We no longer have to hear that if you can score 24+ on this team you can beat them.

Remember all those people who said that if Baldwin was on a different team he would put up great #s? Well now we are showing Baldwin can be the guy doing that on this team. Baldwin, Kearse and Lockett are as competitive a WR group as any out there.

KJ Wright looks like a star himself, remember when he was extended and everyone flipped out ? Said why him? Why so much? Now we know.

We admittedly have some holes, and the defense is going to lose some guys but this offense is going to get better. And Wilson has shown he can be a guy that keeps the Seahawks dangerous for quite some time.

This team isn't going away.

This is a team that showed it could make the jump from winning with all-everything guys on defense, to letting Wilson and the offense carry this team when you inevitably lose pieces to FA as cheap contracts turn into guys you cannot afford to keep.

Sure they lost on the road to a team that was ranked far ahead of them. But there are a lot of pieces in place that indicate we are still going to be blessed with some pretty damned good football teams for the next several years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I admire your post TW, but IMO this team has EVERYTHING to hang it's head about.

2015 is the year of a wasted opportunity. No excuses going into the season, we had more talent than any roster in the NFL. We had an elite QB, we had the motivation to right that SB loss.

If our roster was decimated by injury to the point of a 10-6 season? Then yeah, nothing to hang our head.

But that wasn't the case, we went 10-6 for other non football reasons. No excuses, our window was there and we didn't capitalize. Period.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1igqvz2s said:
I admire your post TW, but IMO this team has EVERYTHING to hang it's head about.

2015 is the year of a wasted opportunity. No excuses going into the season, we had more talent than any roster in the NFL. We had an elite QB, we had the motivation to right that SB loss.

If our roster was decimated by injury to the point of a 10-6 season? Then yeah, nothing to hang our head.

But that wasn't the case, we went 10-6 for other non football reasons. No excuses, our window was there and we didn't capitalize. Period.

Problem is some of those reasons are on the coaches, waiting so long to change the offense, and then reverting back in the playoffs until it was to late.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good post TH, never mind Sgt...He's perpetually grumpy. :16:

RussB

Reaction score
They just made too many mistakes early, letting stewart bust that big run. Then the two interceptions set up easy scores. If not for that, they probably would have won that game. I still think hawks are a better team than carolina but they beat us fair and square.

Onto next season and getting the #1 seed again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":1afxmg8w said:
Good post TH, never mind Sgt...He's perpetually grumpy. :16:

I'm passionate!

Sorry man, I said I'm not a rosey rah rah guy. Been a fan too long and seen too much bad football to not be pissed off at us wasting a year with the talent on this football team.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Largent,

Even if we do not make those mistakes, do you see us winning in Carolina against them?

We CAN beat them. But this year, with the team we fielded - I don't see any way we could beat them short of some weird "Wilson scrambling miracle pass TD", which we already got.

That team beat us twice. By any measure they are better than us this year. With Rawls and the other pieces back? Maybe .

But blaming it on the earlier season miscues does not pass the smell test when you consider that even IF we win those games (lets just say the Bengals and the Rams games as a for instance), we still end up playing Carolina in Carolina. MAYBE we avoid the 10am thing, but again Carolina beat us in our house in our time zone too. At some point you have to concede they are paper to our rock this year.

(* I still think that if we have Unger, we can run on them, keep our defense off the field and keep the game closer to where Wilson late game magic might have made the difference. That Unger trade devastated us. Sure he had problems staying healthy, but all we needed was for him to be healthy in the playoff games against the teams we had to beat.

I really hate that this team treats the OL like it can just go to the beach, pickup a few guys playing volleyball and expect them to be starting OL against some of the good DLs in the game. Then everyone gets upset at Cable, but our approach to the OL in treating it like almost a throwaway position is bizarre. Teams with great DLs like the Rams killed us for it, and another team with a great DL, the Panthers, also handled us because of it.

But we didn't have Unger and you know what they say about spilled milk....)

Regardless, this season was less about what this team did not do, and more about what the other team did.

It does not mean that this team is in danger of falling into the mud anytime soon. We simply have a very good adversary that we have to compete with for the NFC chair if we want to reach the SB now.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree. There's some fundamental changes that need to be made (i.e. how we approach the OL) in order to remain at the top of the NFC pecking order, not to mention key front office decisions this off season with players hitting UFA status but all-in-all, this is a team with the coaching and talent to remain contenders for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts