How to improve Wilson's game...

jake206

Reaction score
From what I understand, Pete's going to teach him the game from a defensive standpoint this offseason. I hope he also learns about clock management, because that was a huge weakness in his game.

Davidess

Reaction score
I honestly think they should do more up-tempo offense. they've seemed to go to that more often when the offense isn't clicking with their norm.

something that would help to is definitely understanding defenses but also getting better protection. we saw what happened when the Oline played better (or maybe it was the Dline we faced playing poorly who knows) RW was on a hot streak.

its going to need a shared improvement from both RW and the oline if we want to see this offense flourish.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
jake206":7lsktp14 said:
From what I understand, Pete's going to teach him the game from a defensive standpoint this offseason. I hope he also learns about clock management, because that was a huge weakness in his game.
I sure hope Pete isn't the one teaching him clock management? Defense for sure but please find some one who can teach both of them clock management.

These are good things for Russell to work on for sure but the best thing Pete can do for him is get him protected.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Davidess":283t2lnk said:
I honestly think they should do more up-tempo offense. they've seemed to go to that more often when the offense isn't clicking with their norm.

something that would help to is definitely understanding defenses but also getting better protection. we saw what happened when the Oline played better (or maybe it was the Dline we faced playing poorly who knows) RW was on a hot streak.

its going to need a shared improvement from both RW and the oline if we want to see this offense flourish.

I agree with the up tempo comment. We just don't have the OL to over power teams on the ground like we'd like to, so not necessarily going No Huddle, but getting to the line a bit quicker in the run game, then giving Wilson more time to scan the defense and see what they're going to do would really help. This would force teams to either stay in base personnel, or run their guys on and off quickly to make substitutions. Making guys really hustle on and off the field is an under rated way of tired a defense out, especially the DL where most teams like to rotate situational personnel.

It's a toss up, because we really need to improve our interior OL. If we were more stout up the middle, we could continue on with our previous offensive philosophy. Getting almost immediate pressure up the middle is way too easy for our opponents, and it's the quickest way to kill our offense. Upgrading that would help Wilson (as we've seen) and also help our run game, but it's not just that easy to draft a couple of guys or go grab some free agents. Most of the league needs interior OL help, just go look at any draft expert's analysis of all the NFL teams; almost all of them list OL one way or another.

Up tempo might just be the way to mask some OL deficiencies.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Give him an OLine. Our receivers are superior than CAR, but due to Cam having all day to throw, the receivers can routinely get open. With us it's always praying Russell gets a few seconds to survey the field and throw the ball without getting killed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1jzbau5h said:
Give him an OLine..........With us it's always praying Russell gets a few seconds to survey the field and throw the ball without getting killed.
Yep, an o-line that can actually pass block, especially in the interior is easily the number one thing that would improve RW's game.

Are there things he can still improve? Of course there are. But nothing will get him to the promised land of QBs faster than a good pocket most of the time.

Latest posts