Think any of these CB's have the ability to step up?

King Dog

Reaction score
Looking exclusively at our roster - think any of these guys have the ability to step up and be a productive starting NFL corner next season?

Seisay
Simon
Jean Baptiste
Tye Smith
Jordan Farmer
Trovon Reed
Douglas McNeil

firebee

Reaction score
Seisay looked really really good in TC and preseason this year. He's the one that has me the most excited out of the bunch. Simon has the physical tools, but he's a head case and he plays way too undisciplined. I don't see him being anything more than a special teamer. Might make a good replacement for Lockette as a gunner on ST if Lockette doesn't return.

I seriously wonder how much better off we would've been if Seisay could've stayed healthy and replaced Williams early in the year when Lane was out. BTW... Resign Lane. He's proven in the LOB. If we let him go and bring in another high dollar FA that isn't proven in the LOB... SMDH.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Tharold Simon already proved he can be a very solid starter but the question is if he can stay healthy. I can imagine him starting next year if he can avoid getting injured somehow. Tye Smith should also get some consideration. Pete really seems to like him and since he stayed on the 53 man roster the entire year he must see some serious potential in him.

Seisay and McNeill needed some time to grow in our system and this year they might be ready. Not sure at all though. I haven't really seen much tape of the other guys so I have no clue on how they will perform.

1 thing I'm sure about is that this off-season should be interesting to watch our DB group.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Simon? Woo that's a good one!

Dude's more brittle than Samuel L. in Unbreakable.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think it was McNeil that SHerm was talking up and tutoring.
Seems McNeil was a wr during his first camp and now they are converting him to DB.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think each of Simon, Smith and Baptiste are guys who could start for us 2016 and be pretty solid.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If I had to rate:

1. Simon
2. Smith

those are the most likely.

Next tier:

1. Seisay
2. Jean Baptiste

Seisay has a year (but no TC) in the system. SJB is new and a project. But he's been in the league.

Dev tier:

Douglas McNeil
George Farmer
Trovon Reed

Dev guys. Probably PS guys for 2016. Of these, I'd say McNeil is closest but only because he's been here longer. This could be his last year on an NFL roster. He's going to be 28 this year. He's not a young pup.

Ozzy

Reaction score
McGruff":153vlgio said:
I think each of Simon, Smith and Baptiste are guys who could start for us 2016 and be pretty solid.
These are the three that interest me as well. Really hoping Simon can stay healthy.

mikeak

Reaction score
I still have high hopes for Simon but worried about injuries

I believe they can all be converted to OL though.......

London12

Reaction score
How did we actually have Cary Williams ahead of any of these guys? Like a bad dream.

Erebus

Reaction score
King Dog":2z3yd1bn said:
Looking exclusively at our roster - think any of these guys have the ability to step up and be a productive starting NFL corner next season?

Seisay
Simon
Jean Baptiste
Tye Smith
Jordan Farmer
Trovon Reed
Douglas McNeil

I think any of the top four listed could be solid starters, especially given how well Pete develops DBs. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Farmer, Reed, or McNeil become quality depth.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Starting Quality
1. Lane-UFA who I would love to see back at $3-$4 mil/yr
2. Shead- If I understand correctly, Shead's an ERFA. i.e. has only 2 accrued seasons so we should be able to get him back next year for a minimum contract.
3. McCray- balled out in limited game action in replacement of Kam. Solid use of a 5th round pick even if we only have him locked down for 1 more season. Not to mention that he's a core ST player.

Questionable
4. Simon- if healthy and motivated. Mostly healthy.
5. Smith- still TDB. Healthy scratch all year.
6. Jean Baptiste has prototypical seahawks build. If he can learn the technique, he could be a contributor. I wasn't really impressed with his tape from college. Got a draft bump because Seahawks corners were all the rave 2 years ago.

The others are developmental prospects. I did like Douglas McNeil in preseason as a receiver. It'll be interesting to see if he catches on at corner.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
jdemps":248d11zl said:
Starting Quality

3. Seisay- balled out in limited game action in replacement of Kam. Solid use of a 5th round pick even if we only have him locked down for 1 more season. Not to mention that he's a core ST player.

Did I miss something here?

Seisay was acquired for a 6th from Detriot. Was active for one game I believe, but didn't play.

McCray on the other hand...yeah.

jdemps

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3eae58m1 said:
jdemps":3eae58m1 said:
Starting Quality

3. Seisay- balled out in limited game action in replacement of Kam. Solid use of a 5th round pick even if we only have him locked down for 1 more season. Not to mention that he's a core ST player.

Did I miss something here?

Seisay was acquired for a 6th from Detriot. Was active for one game I believe, but didn't play.

McCray on the other hand...yeah.

You're right. I switched Seisay for Mccray in my head. Point still stands. Between him and shead, I thought we improved coverage-wise when Kam was out with a broke behind.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not sold on Simon at all, he is an unhealthy and an undisciplined version of Kelly Jennings IMHO.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2owxhdg4 said:
Not sold on Simon at all, he is an unhealthy and an undisciplined version of Kelly Jennings IMHO.

Whoa. That's a little harsh. I'd take Simon over Jennings all day.

jdemps

Reaction score
fenderbender123":19b3keto said:
Sports Hernia":19b3keto said:

Whoa. That's a little harsh. I'd take Simon over Jennings all day.

Yeah, Simon played a few decent games last year down the stretch.

Jennings was reliably terrible for years and was getting paid 1st round money.

Humble thug beats Captain completion hands down.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Seisay -- really liked what I saw in camp and had convinced myself he was going to start over Williams.. excited to see what he does a year into the system

Simon -- have always liked him and dont really believe in the idea of injury prone..its all just statistics. If he can turn his luck he can contribute.

Jean Baptiste -- literally have no impression of him one way or the other.

Tye Smith -- done red shirting, hoping he has "it"

Jordan Farmer -- dunno
Trovon Reed -- dunno

Douglas McNeil -- he was switched mid training camp I think so had very little chance of doing anything this year..but with a year of defensive under his belt and some natural talent ..plus the size we like.. he could be a dark horse contributor.

Less worried about losing Lane after looking through this..odds are at least 1 guy will be good and another decent from that list..

Latest posts