QB market, Feeling good about having RW locked up longterm

gowazzu02

Reaction score
With the news that Osweiler just got 4 years 72 million from Houston. And seeing Case Keenum get a 1st round tenure, it makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing we have RW locked up for years. The QB market is exploding. Not long until we see 30 per year.

Edited, I meant keenum not foles. Darn Rams qbs all look alike.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Absolutely. Dodged a huge (YUUUUUGE) bullet.

12thbrah

Reaction score
No doubt. Hopefully we can win at least 1 or 2 more Superb Owls before his next extension comes up.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I just said this to my Dad when I saw the Osweiler signing.

So glad the Hawks locked up Wilson last year. It could have been disastrous if he got to flirt with free agency this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Russell is probably wishing he had bet on himself at this point. We should all be glad he didn't.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Yeah Hasselbeck and I said the same thing in the Osweiler thread on the NFL Forum. Russ is now a bargain folks. That said, he may be the first 30 mil per guy when this contract runs out if he can win another Owl or two between now and then.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The NFL has lost its collective mind. I understand breaking the bank for a Top-12 QB, but these teams are now selling the farm for replacement-level players.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
DavidSeven":16zm4nmy said:
The NFL has lost its collective mind. I understand breaking the bank for a Top-12 QB, but these teams are now selling the farm for replacement-level players.

Oh, I dunno. With Brock, the Texans just ensured they'll be a solid contender for the Wild Card slot in that division. #Winning.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":32wtlm29 said:
Russell is probably wishing he had bet on himself at this point. We should all be glad he didn't.

To me, RW seems cognizant that he has a good thing going in Seattle even if he's not extracting top dollar.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
With all the spending, aren't teams required to spend upwards of 90% of their salary cap now? Couldn't that explain a few of the reasons for the high priced signings?

Sac

Reaction score
Jesus. For anyone not paying attention, RW is the absolute truth at QB. The real deal. If we could extend him again at 35/yr right now, I would. And it would be worth it.

Fade

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":7vkcnkjr said:
With all the spending, aren't teams required to spend upwards of 90% of their salary cap now? Couldn't that explain a few of the reasons for the high priced signings?

Only justifiable for the Raiders & Jaguars. Everyone else it is desperation.

Rob12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1jr4i14s said:

Agreed, I don't see how any of this is sustainable. These contracts are ridiculous.

That Barron contract? Wow.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Russell knew he could have refused to sign a contract, made things messy, and ultimately signed for a lot more money in free agency. But it would have hurt the team. I'm really happy they reached a compromise in which Russell is still one of the highest paid QBs, but they saved enough money to remain competitive.

erik2690

Reaction score
Maybe this will change a bit but all the cap sites have him at 12th in cap hit among QBs for next year. Cap hit is far more important than APY in terms of signing guys. 12th is very reasonable and it only goes up by like 300k next year and the cap goes up by another 10+ mil likely. Guys like Tannehill and Bradford have bigger 2017 cap hits. All of these numbers can change as guys renegotiate and such, but it seems to suggest that it isn't a hugely burdensome contract particularly in the next 2 years. By the time he gets his big bump in cap hit in 2018 (still just tied with what Matt Ryan's and Newton's hit is scheduled as) I feel like they will already be looking at how to spread it out over more years or the market will make the 21+ cap hit still a good deal. Obviously it all depends on production, but based on everything we've seen it looks like a good deal. I'm no expert so maybe all of this isn't the best way to analyze the situation, but if it is it seems positive.

I don't have as high an opinion of Luck as many, but he could maybe drive things up. Isn't the owner making comments already about how they are going to back up the truck?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
erik2690":2p39jmec said:
Maybe this will change a bit but all the cap sites have him at 12th in cap hit among QBs for next year. Cap hit is far more important than APY in terms of signing guys. 12th is very reasonable and it only goes up by like 300k next year and the cap goes up by another 10+ mil likely. Guys like Tannehill and Bradford have bigger 2017 cap hits. All of these numbers can change as guys renegotiate and such, but it seems to suggest that it isn't a hugely burdensome contract particularly in the next 2 years. By the time he gets his big bump in cap hit in 2018 (still just tied with what Matt Ryan's and Newton's hit is scheduled as) I feel like they will already be looking at how to spread it out over more years or the market will make the 21+ cap hit still a good deal. Obviously it all depends on production, but based on everything we've seen it looks like a good deal. I'm no expert so maybe all of this isn't the best way to analyze the situation, but if it is it seems positive.

I don't have as high an opinion of Luck as many, but he could maybe drive things up. Isn't the owner making comments already about how they are going to back up the truck?

Yes, Russell's cap hits are fairly reasonable, because the team made sure to hold strong to its position that the contract would be based on new money and his signing bonus would be prorated in the final year of his rookie deal. His agent Mark Rodgers was initially very resistant to this idea of not tearing up his final year and starting anew. I explicitly remember him scoffing at the notion that new money should be treated differently. If Russell's agent had his way, this would have led to much higher cap hits for Russell.

erik2690

Reaction score
hawknation2016":a9mil4kh said:
Yes, Russell's cap hits are fairly reasonable, because the team made sure to hold strong to its position that the contract would be based on new money and his signing bonus would be prorated in the final year of his rookie deal. His agent Mark Rodgers was initially very resistant to this idea of not tearing up his final year and starting anew. I explicitly remember him scoffing at the notion that new money should be treated differently. If Russell's agent had his way, this would have led to much higher cap hits for Russell.

Yeah I'm sure they did want that. Not sure how deep in to negotiation that was a sticking point though. I feel like Clayton even a few weeks before the signing was saying that was off the table and wasn't the hold up. I get from their perspective trying it, but it always seemed unlikely b/c that would be like giving him some of the take of true free agency while not taking on the risks of hitting the end of his deal right?

sutz

Reaction score
Time for the annual "OMG salaries are out of control!" thread, I see. :laugh: