Where was Bennett's Market Before Re-signing?

Basis4day

Reaction score
These offers for pass rushers are pretty crazy.

Refresh my memory.

Why wasn't Bennett's market stronger when Free Agency opened in 2014?

Not looking to discuss re-doing his contract now, want to know why other teams didn't offer an absurd amount of money then.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Well, Bennett was older than both Vernon and Jackson who got the big money so there is that. Also the Salary cap was smaller which does contribute some too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nobody knew how good he was, and iirc, there wasn't a lot of call space available and there was a glut of DL at the time. Just like this year with all the DTs in the draft, after the initial run over payment, the DT market will dry up.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
ivotuk":t30xwxk4 said:
Nobody knew how good he was, and iirc, there wasn't a lot of call space available and there was a glut of DL at the time. Just like this year with all the DTs in the draft, after the initial run over payment, the DT market will dry up.

I'm talking the year after we won the SB, not when he signed his 1 year prove it deal. People absolutely knew how good he was.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He was sought after, but I think there was still a perception in the league that he might be benefiting from a really deep DL and Seattle's rotation. He did not make a Pro Bowl. His numbers were good but not terrific. In fact, he wasn't even a starter that year. Obviously, as he's become one of the team's leaders, his attributes are easier to notice and assign value to. If we underpaid, it wasn't by much based on the market at the time.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3p0utwvm said:
He was sought after, but I think there was still a perception in the league that he might be benefiting from a really deep DL and Seattle's rotation. He did not make a Pro Bowl. His numbers were good but not terrific. In fact, he wasn't even a starter that year. Obviously, as he's become one of the team's leaders, his attributes are easier to notice and assign value to. If we underpaid, it wasn't by much based on the market at the time.

I can definitely see that from a fan's perspective. I'd think the tape would tell the story for him to actual teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the fact that there is a lack of edge rushers in the draft, and the cap has gone up significantly the last few years.

Add to that a few teams with over 60 million to burn, and they HAVE to burn it, and you have what you see.

It also helps that the Broncos won the Super Bowl with edge rush and good secondary play. It's a copy cat league and now everyone just HAS to have edge rushers. Kind of like how the DE market heated up after the Giants won their Super Bowls. Those were traditional 4-3 DE's, now the market is off the chain for the stand up edge guys in a 3-4, which is what Denver runs. It's not a coincidence.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":cahlffip said:
DavidSeven":cahlffip said:

I can definitely see that from a fan's perspective. I'd think the tape would tell the story for him to actual teams.

Totally agree, but then again, you'd think the tape would've prevented us from stealing away Avril and Bennett from everyone else in the first place.

Maybe we give teams too much credit.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3u1nnfu3 said:
Basis4day":3u1nnfu3 said:
DavidSeven":3u1nnfu3 said:

Totally agree, but then again, you'd think the tape would've prevented us from stealing away Avril and Bennett from everyone else in the first place.

Maybe we give teams too much credit.

No, they all always make great decisions when spending FA money.

Seymour

Reaction score
What we are seeing today is an over reaction to teams with top D's (and pass rush) winning 2 of the last 3 superbowls.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":8u2fsdrf said:
What we are seeing today is an over reaction to teams with top D's (and pass rush) winning 2 of the last 3 superbowls.

Truth!!!!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
What is even more crazy is Osweiler turning down $16M per year with world champs for $18M in the sun with JJ.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Is it weird that me a fairly large football fan, had no idea who Olivier Vernon was before yesterday? How can you pay a pass rusher who is supposed to flash and get the sexy sack numbers quarterback money and I had no clue who he was?

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2edtoyez said:
Is it weird that me a fairly large football fan, had no idea who Olivier Vernon was before yesterday? How can you pay a pass rusher who is supposed to flash and get the sexy sack numbers quarterback money and I had no clue who he was?

Suh and Wake were the bigger names on Miami. I imagine other fanbases felt the same about Chris Clemons a few years ago.