A couple of quick hits

Rob12

Reaction score
The Seahawks need a legitimate back up QB. I like Boykin a lot, but he has no business being a RW injury away from running this offense. Does anyone truly feel comfortable with that? I mean, honestly?

I thought Britt and Glowinski looked great. Sowell was OK. Webb and Evans looked terrible.

Keenan Lambert might have made a case over Terrell. He was all over the place.

Pope deserves to make the team over Collins. I don't expect that to happen. Collins is slow until he gets space. Terrible fit for the ZBS, IMO.

Tharold Simon is not a good football player right now.

Jordan Hill, sad as it is, can't be counted on. Tweaked hamstring. I just don't think he deserves a spot on the 53.

That's it for now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rob12":1c6567ne said:
The Seahawks need a legitimate back up QB. I like Boykin a lot, but he has no business being a RW injury away from running this offense. Does anyone truly feel comfortable with that? I mean, honestly?

I thought Britt and Glowinski looked great. Sowell was OK. Webb and Evans looked terrible.

Pope deserves to make the team over Collins. I don't expect that to happen. Collins is slow until he gets space. Terrible fit for the ZBS, IMO.

Jordan Hill, sad as it is, can't be counted on. Tweaked hamstring. I just don't think he deserves a spot on the 53.

That's it for now.
To be honest, I feel better with Boykin as the back up than I have over T-Jack over the past couple of years. Boykin is not a finished product yet, he is raw and needs to develop. A "veteran statue type" with this o-line would be the worst case scenario with this O-line IMHO.

I agree with you 110% of Simon, all hype, zero substance.

getnasty

Reaction score
I have no problem rolling with Boykin. His OL was horrible last night, had TJACK been in the same situation were probably looking at 6 sacks instead of 2

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Trouble is with a veteran option I've not seen many that are head and shoulders above Boykin. Certainly ones that are available and not going to impact significantly against the cap.

Might as well go with the cheap option and see if we can develop him. If RW went down we would be pretty screwed anyway.

dogorama

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ewkab04 said:
Rob12":3ewkab04 said:

That's it for now.
To be honest, I feel better with Boykin as the back up than I have over T-Jack over the past couple of years. Boykin is not a finished product yet, he is raw and needs to develop. A "veteran statue type" with this o-line would be the worst case scenario with this O-line IMHO.

I agree with you 110% of Simon, all hype, zero substance.

Developing a QB is something you do when you have three QB's on your roster. When you have two QB's the second QB needs to be competent enough to come in and play at a moment's notice, Boykin is not.

Simon doesn't matter, we have good DB's.

Our biggest problem is we have no right tackle. Gilliam has nine days to seriously pick up his game or we are in serious doo-doo.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tye Smith looked horrible. Grabbing, clutching and not turning around to the ball. Very poor technique. Simon is a dump truck

That assembly of O-linewas the worst play the f the pre season Boykin can't and shouldn't be blamed for a poor performance many defenders in the backfield before the ball even arrived.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
He would have looked a lot more comfortable if he had played more than one series with the first team offense. His one pass attempt behind the first team offensive line was batted down on 3rd down. I think he was trying to give Kenny Lawler a chance to go up and convert the first down. Then the first team offense went out after the 2nd series, and it turned into a real shit show. Odhiambo and Webb were burned badly on the first sack with pressure coming immediately in both directions. I think Webb simply blew his assignment on the 2nd sack. On the next series, we got Evans' false start. Now it's 3rd and 10, and he once again faces immediate pressure coming from both directions. It's tough for a QB to stay composed when playing behind a line like that. At that point, they had punted three times and had taken the safety due to the intentional grounding in the end zone; yet, none of it can fairly be pinned on Boykin. The next series, Boykin finally got some protection and made a nice play on 3rd and 10, connecting low to Brandon Williams across the first down marker:

3oz8xUpp3zl6ZyDkTm.gif

He smartly finds Williams again on the next play, and then he eludes the pressure and scrambles for another first down. Unfortunately, he stayed inbounds and there just wasn't enough time to make something happen before the end of the first half. Not going out of bounds on that play, and perhaps failing to adjust the protection pre-snap, were the only glaring mistakes by Boykin. After that, he was mostly just handing the ball off to Pope and Collins.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2v5gpaa7 said:
He smartly finds Williams again on the next play, and then he eludes the pressure and scrambles for another first down. Unfortunately, he stayed inbounds and there just wasn't enough time to make something happen before the end of the first half. Not going out of bounds on that play, and perhaps failing to adjust the protection pre-snap, were the only glaring mistakes by Boykin. After that, he was mostly just handing the ball off to Pope and Collins.

I thought it was a daft move to not go out of bounds but if you look closely he actually slips.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I had some flashbacks of "David Greene" from some of Boykin's play last night. The biggest concern for me was that the Seahawks special teams were awful at best last night. The depth on the special teams is not good. It seems the Raiders were getting chunks of yardage on punt and kickoff returns. Need to clean that up.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Troymane Pope, Keenan Lambert and DeAndre Elliott are my 3 longshots that I really hope make the roster. Cut Simon and Collins.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I agree with the original poster -- we can not afford to go into the season with Trevone as our primary backup. Develop him on the PS and bring in Tarvaris. T-Jack is not a statue as some on here falsely claim and he transitions just fine into the rhythm of our offense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Our backup OL looks terrible. Latham for the Raiders owned his man every other play. He looked like Frank Clark last year.

I didn't like what I saw from Boykin, but I think he'd play better behind our starting OL, with our starting RB's. Just our line and RB's would keep him on schedule, so he wouldn't have to force things in the passing game. The Raiders brought pressure off the edge a lot and he didn't look ready for it.

Not sure any of the younger WRs stood out last night. I guess maybe McEvoy makes the team. Did Kasen Williams even play ?

Rule

Reaction score
Hey Tom Cable. Here's some scrubs, turn them into starting calibur offensive lineman by week 1. Thanks.

Treating Cable like some kind of magician is ludicrous. Invest tens of millions in the QB but scraps on the OL protecting him. Such a horrible philosophy. I love Petey & John, but I just for the life of me cannot figure out why they can't figure it out. Do we just have sh!tty coaches who can't develop or draft for that position?

RW put on tons of muscle and I don't blame him. He will be hurt this year, guaranteed.

titan3131

Reaction score
i think its time to cut bait with the trash draft of 2014.

Simon, KPL, Hill. All are below average and deadweight.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":2kasjaf5 said:
Our backup OL looks terrible. Latham for the Raiders owned his man every other play. He looked like Frank Clark last year.

I didn't like what I saw from Boykin, but I think he'd play better behind our starting OL, with our starting RB's. Just our line and RB's would keep him on schedule, so he wouldn't have to force things in the passing game. The Raiders brought pressure off the edge a lot and he didn't look ready for it.

Not sure any of the younger WRs stood out last night. I guess maybe McEvoy makes the team. Did Kasen Williams even play ?
No Kasen, nore McEvoy last night. Not sure if either is going on PUP at this point.

gabel

Reaction score
I guess I saw it different from everyone else I think Boykin proved that he is not an NFL Quarterback. It's a tough job and he process plays way to slowly. It was painful to watch. I think the backup QB is not currently on the roster.

Kevin Pierre-Louis reminds me Aaron Curry, all the talent in the world, just can't make a play.

Keenan Lambert came to play. He was by far the best special teams player last night and that's how you make the team.

Simon looks much stronger but appears to have lost a step. He looked terrible.

Kache Palicio wow where did this kid come from he looks like a player.

I really really like Pope he looks like he is fired out of a cannon when he breaks free. Not sure he will make the team.

George Fant lots of potential I guess, almost got beat more times than Terry Poole.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm perfectly fine going into the season with Boykin as our backup/ developmental QB. He is an adequate QB who will work behind our line in a similar manner to Wilson. He's a better fit than any of the available options and isn't much worse than the various backups around the league. He is cheap. Just look at the backups around the league. Who would you take over Boykin?

Here is a more or less complete list of all the backup QB's in the league, and a rough breakdown of where I see them in comparison to Boykin. Most really aren't definitively better, and the ones that are simply aren't going to be available.

Would definitely take over Boykin
  • Drew Stanton
    Mike Glennon
    Shaun Hill
    Carson Wentz
    Paxton Lynch
    EJ Manuel
    Blain Gabbert
    Colin Kaepernick (ignoring any political qualms)

Probably would take over Boykin
  • AJ McCarron
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Kellen Clemens
    Zach Mettenberger
    Matt Cassel
    Case Keenum
    Jimmy Garoppolo

Probably on par with Boykin
  • Ryan Mallett
    Josh Johnson
    Colt McCoy
    Matt Barkley
    Geno Smith
    Brandon Weeden
    Landry Jones
    Luke McCown
    Cardale Jones
    Chad Henne
    Derek Anderson
    Matt McGloin
    Josh McCown
    Brian Hoyer
    Chase Daniel
    Matt Schaub

Simply wouldn't take over Boykin
  • Ryan Nassib
    Logan Thomas
    Brandon Allen
    Ryan Griffin
    Joe Webb
    Jacoby Brissett
    Sean Mannion
    Nate Sudfeld
    Connor Cook
    Garrett Grayson
    Tom Savage
    Alex Tanney
    Christian Hackenberg
    Bryce Petty
    Sean Renfree
    David Fales
    Cody Kessler
    Aaron Murray
    Kevin Hogan
    Trevor Siemian
    Brett Hundley
    Marquise Williams
    Taylor Heinicke
    Dan Orlovsky
    Jake Rudock
    Keith Wenning
    Jameill Showers
    Jerrod Johnson
    Thad Lewis
    Scott Tolzien
    Stephen Morris
    Matt Moore
    Brandon Doughty

Of course nobody is going to completely agree with my groupings, but the general idea holds. Boykin as a backup really doesn't leave us much worse off than we would be with the vast majority of other NFL backup QBs.

And it's time to give the T Jack delusion a rest. He gives us less than Boykin and costs more. I wouldn't bring him in.

Own The West

Reaction score
The OP's right. Boykin sucks. Maybe Hackenberg will be available next week. </sarcasm>

If anyone thinks we're a playoff team without Wilson, then great, let's go find a scrapheap vet to manage games in his absence. Otherwise, I think it's great that we got another Seneca Wallace that's raw, but can still make plays when the starter goes down. Also, the more reps Boykin gets, the fewer mistakes he'll make. I call that a good investment.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1v0sad3t said:
I'm perfectly fine going into the season with Boykin as our backup/ developmental QB. He is an adequate QB who will work behind our line in a similar manner to Wilson. He's a better fit than any of the available options and isn't much worse than the various backups around the league. He is cheap. Just look at the backups around the league. Who would you take over Boykin?

Here is a more or less complete list of all the backup QB's in the league, and a rough breakdown of where I see them in comparison to Boykin. Most really aren't definitively better, and the ones that are simply aren't going to be available.

Would definitely take over Boykin
  • Drew Stanton
    Mike Glennon
    Shaun Hill
    Carson Wentz
    Paxton Lynch
    EJ Manuel
    Blain Gabbert
    Colin Kaepernick (ignoring any political qualms)

Probably would take over Boykin
  • AJ McCarron
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Kellen Clemens
    Zach Mettenberger
    Matt Cassel
    Case Keenum
    Jimmy Garoppolo

Probably on par with Boykin
  • Ryan Mallett
    Josh Johnson
    Colt McCoy
    Matt Barkley
    Geno Smith
    Brandon Weeden
    Landry Jones
    Luke McCown
    Cardale Jones
    Chad Henne
    Derek Anderson
    Matt McGloin
    Josh McCown
    Brian Hoyer
    Chase Daniel
    Matt Schaub

Simply wouldn't take over Boykin
  • Ryan Nassib
    Logan Thomas
    Brandon Allen
    Ryan Griffin
    Joe Webb
    Jacoby Brissett
    Sean Mannion
    Nate Sudfeld
    Connor Cook
    Garrett Grayson
    Tom Savage
    Alex Tanney
    Christian Hackenberg
    Bryce Petty
    Sean Renfree
    David Fales
    Cody Kessler
    Aaron Murray
    Kevin Hogan
    Trevor Siemian
    Brett Hundley
    Marquise Williams
    Taylor Heinicke
    Dan Orlovsky
    Jake Rudock
    Keith Wenning
    Jameill Showers
    Jerrod Johnson
    Thad Lewis
    Scott Tolzien
    Stephen Morris
    Matt Moore
    Brandon Doughty

Of course nobody is going to completely agree with my groupings, but the general idea holds. Boykin as a backup really doesn't leave us much worse off than we would be with the vast majority of other NFL backup QBs.

And it's time to give the T Jack delusion a rest. He gives us less than Boykin and costs more. I wouldn't bring him in.
Tarvaris was Pete's guy the past 3 years, so by eliminating him so vociferously, I guess you are saying he erred in judgement. I believe Pete knew what he was doing and for that very reason I'm saying Tarvaris has a legitimate shot to land back on our roster over a rookie converting under 50 percent of his passes and giving opponents points by bad decision making. He can't be the guy one ankle sprain from leading our offense.

kearly

Reaction score
Agreed with the OP on all thoughts.

I still want Boykin to stick around long term, but he's clearly a project at this point and should be a #3 QB this season. If Sanchez gets cut and is dirt cheap, I'd prefer him as a short term #2 to the present version of Boykin. I bet Seattle could get Mike Glennon pretty cheap in a trade as Glennon is a pending FA after the season. There are some options out there, I hope JS is kicking the tires.

It sucks that Tjack's offseason incident has a real chance to hurt the Seahawks. Tjack would be our #2 QB right now otherwise.