Daniel Patrick Quinn

NINEster

Reaction score
Knows not only the 11 moving pieces anchored by Robert Wagner, but knows Wilson's tendencies from practice. He even knows wind patterns and weather trends at Qwest Field.

Discuss whether any of this has impact for this coming Sunday.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
From my personal standpoint, I'd have to think that Quinn's familiarity would have some impact. Then again ... it may not. I've posted this before ... but allow me to do so again.

Pete Carroll was on with 710 ESPN’s Brock and Salk the day after the Seahawks 42-13 victory over the 49ers on Christmas Eve back in 2012 (12/24/2012). During that interview, he gave some fascinating insights not only on the Seahawk Offense as a whole … but on his overall mentality as a coach. For those who might actually want to listen to the interview itself (maybe as you read it), go ahead and click on the link at the bottom of the transcript. I've highlighted some key comments Carroll made during that interview that I found pretty insightful …

Huard: “… and you watch those plays last night. Those are some of the same plays -- tell me if I’m wrong here. Was the touchdown to Baldwin not the same similar concept as the throw to Charlie Martin Week 1 on the corner route in Arizona? Are they some of the same concepts and plays you’re running?”

Carroll: “Yeah, you’d be surprised how similar those are. I mean, there’s subtleties on how we move stuff around. There’s splits and things like that. But, yeah – had we, we’re so much better now – we would have won the Arizona game. They wouldn’t have been able to keep us out on 3 shots to get in – I mean, there’s just no way. We’re so much more efficient. That’s a great throw by Russell. You know, they’ve got a little combination coverage there on the guys right there. They jumped the heck out of Golden because he’s caught the Chicago touchdown and he caught one – you know, Carolina – caught a couple of those and made some big plays on that route. Which, it’s just a matter of reading it out for the quarterback. And on the combo they wind out inside of the corner route and they couldn’t catch up – he throws a great throw to the back flag – and a great catch, you know. So, that’s just getting better – them improving and understanding – they’ve thrown hundreds of those now. When we used to throw about 10 or 20 of them – now we’ve thrown hundreds, so it makes a difference in our ability to execute.”

Huard: “So in some ways that is the essence of efficiency right?”

Carroll: “We can’t make up new plays week in and week out across the board. There’s just no way. There’s little things that we do – little wrinkles that you put in and stuff, but basically you continue to function with your basic stuff. We’ve run inside-outside zone forever. Those are the same blocking schemes forever and ever and ever and we try to – when the defense breaks down, we make a big play because we’re so consistent. And that’s what makes Tom [Cable] such a big difference on our team because of his commitment to the running game in that fashion. And so, you’re seeing the same plays. You’re seeing the same calls for the most part – with wrinkles and formations and shifts and motions and things to make sure that the opponent doesn’t know that they’re coming.”

Salk: “The fact that you’re running a lot of the same plays and different formations – does that give you some of the time to work on the Pistol and develop that? Does it give you a little extra time?”

Carroll:“Yeah a little bit. A little bit. But we still don’t have that much time. One of the things that you really want to do in football is you want to have things that your opponent knows that you like. You want them to have to stop things because when they have to make their efforts to stop things – they become vulnerable. Until YOU know what you know -- and THEY know what you know – you can’t get to that level. Now that may have been confusing, but that’s really what you WANT people to understand what you’re trying to do – and they try to stop it – and you go ahead and do your things to take advantage of that. So, sometimes you’re not even good enough to get to that point. We are now, so it’s helping us and we’ll continue to grow with good fortune.”

Source:
Pete Carroll on with 710 ESPN’s Brock and Salk – 12/24/12

So, Pete Carroll made it very clear that he WANTS people to be familiar with what the Seahawks do. He WANTS his opponent to understand his tendencies ... because (in Carroll's mind) -- that's when they become vulnerable. Interesting mentality. So in all honesty, I would fully expect Carroll and the entire coaching staff to come up with a game plan that's entirely unique to Atlanta's personnel and to Dan Quinn. Sure Quinn knows Carroll and his staff ... but they know Dan Quinn as well ... so I would expect them to come up with a plan of attack that takes advantage of Quinn's familiarity with them. Should be an interesting chess match, for sure.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Seahawk offense is now firing on all cylinders and Atlanta's D doesn't match up.

The Seahawk D is playing quite well too.

Quinn can only hope he can find a way to win. While there is a chance, it isn't likely.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I don't think Quinn's knowledge of our Defense will matter. Our D doesn't disguise much. Our 11 just lines up and says "we're here to kick your a$$."

Largent80

Reaction score
Quinn is no different than any other coach. He just has to get players into the holes in our zone defense. Ryan performs poorly when pressured. That will be a key for Seattle.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Yes he does know some of the personnel. We also have a new D coordinator. We also have some new players. I don't think his familiarity with the team will affect much in the game. They will be watching film and breaking it down just like we do. I feel if he relies on what he does know from the past he will get burned badly.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
This team has always made it a point to play pretty much the same way no matter the opponent. They have always said they don't hide what they do. All Atlanta has to do is beat the players. Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably on some occasions.
The difference between Denver and Seattle is not Defense but Offense. The Seahawks actually have an offense.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
I mention this because I saw how the Bills last year swept a better Jets team just because of Rex Ryan.

Now it looks like this year the Jets are worse than the Bills despite beating them, but I always like to track former coaches playing their old team.

Mike Holmgren used to kill the 49ers as a Packer head coach. In fact, I think almost any other coach on that team and SF doesn't get owned as badly.

I'm definitely looking forward to this match up, with or without the Quinn factor.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2kxzaosl said:
This team has always made it a point to play pretty much the same way no matter the opponent. They have always said they don't hide what they do. All Atlanta has to do is beat the players. Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably on some occasions.
The difference between Denver and Seattle is not Defense but Offense. The Seahawks actually have an offense.

I believe you mean defense.

I think it's going to come down to whether Quinn can outfox Cable.

Game will be won or lost on the line. I think ATL has the back 4 to compete, but need to control Michael & contain Wilson first.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The Falcons have given up a lot of points. I think the Denver game, in large part went the way that it did due to Denver's QB.

Erebus

Reaction score
NINEster":3fh4fc5r said:
MD5eahawks":3fh4fc5r said:

Game will be won or lost on the line. I think ATL has the back 4 to compete, but need to control Michael & contain Wilson first.

He was comparing Seattle and Denver, not Seattle and Atlanta.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I don't think it's advantage at all. It has been a few years since he was here.... Players change etc.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Erebus":2yk3pyix said:
NINEster":2yk3pyix said:
MD5eahawks":2yk3pyix said:

He was comparing Seattle and Denver, not Seattle and Atlanta.
Thanks, sometimes what I am saying comes out a little spread. My comparison was to imply that Atlanta had a somewhat easier time with Denver due to Denver's offense not being able to move the ball. Seattle does not have that problem. Or at least they shouldn't.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
The thing I didn't see mentioned is that he knows Michael Bennett's false start triggers. Expect Matt Ryan to be practicing getting free 5 yds all week.

fuego

Reaction score
Laloosh":3pg1asf8 said:
The Falcons have given up a lot of points. I think the Denver game, in large part went the way that it did due to Denver's QB.

We have, but the last two games against Carolina and Denver, before we went into our 'prevent' (which drives most of us Falcons' fans nuts), Carolina only had 10 pts and Denver 6. Our D has really showed up the past two games. So it looks like we are improving there and Quinn and Smith's D is coming together.

Gonna be a good game though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This game is going to come down to individual matchups, like most games do in the NFL. Scheme only gets you so far in the NFL, and casual fans mistake scheme for coaches exploiting individual matchups.

Denver runs a traditional 3-4. They have quick OLBs that rush the QB and larger run stopping ILB's that plug run gaps. Atlanta realized (like the Patriots did in the last AFCC) that Denver's LBers don't cover as well as they do run stop and rush the QB. Coleman had well over 100 yards and their RB duo had 160 yards receiving.

Ryan hasn't been throwing the ball deep consistently, he's mixing it up and throwing underneath, quicker slants, and hitting over the top. He's attacking every level of the defense and yesterday he attacked underneath. They rarely challenged Denver's CB's.

After what I saw in NY against the Jets, I can see them doing the same thing to us. We won't give up the deep ball, which is also a mantra of Denver's defense. It leaves us open underneath.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson doesn't even know what he's going to do next, Doug Baldwin took a hit to the head when he was younger and now can't remember how to drop a football, Michael Bennett pities double teams, Jarran Reed's favourite meal is running backs and rumour has it Frank Clark space-jammed Chris Doleman.

Hawks 41
Falcons 6