Kyle Shanahan… I'm Beginning to Have My Doubts

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":3na2310c said:
Marvin49":3na2310c said:
So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

The 49ers approved writers list rears it's ugly head.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

The Cohns made their entire careers off of being negative. They are collectively the Skip Bayless of the Bay Area.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2bz4ecnx said:
Maulbert":2bz4ecnx said:
Marvin49":2bz4ecnx said:

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

The Cohns made their entire careers off of being negative. They are collectively the Skip Bayless of the Bay Area.

I remember Lowell off the Sporting Green where he used to have a top column in the 1980s I wasn't really a fan.

So Lowell eventually got another gig at Santa Rosa Press Democrat and when Harbs got the ax he went off on how Jeb got handed all his privileges while sliding down, in his words, "his mother's birth canal."

The PD pulled that pretty quickly and soon after that Lowell started posting about places that he liked to eat.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":31yt0qix said:
Marvin49":31yt0qix said:
Maulbert":31yt0qix said:
Marvin49":31yt0qix said:

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.

Classic Marv.

Yup.

Ninernation are fans.

I remember Lowell off the Sporting Green where he used to have a top column in the 1980s I wasn't really a fan.

So Lowell eventually got another gig at Santa Rosa Press Democrat and when Harbs got the ax he went off on how Jeb got handed all his privileges while sliding down, in his words, "his mother's birth canal."

The PD pulled that pretty quickly and soon after that Lowell started posting about places that he liked to eat.

I HATED Lowell Cohn. Wasn't even his inaccurate takes either. Its his whiny voice and holier than thou attitude. You should hear Damon Bruce talk about him LOL.

It funny, people think I just don't like people who talk negatively about the 49ers. That's not it at all. I don't like people who sell a false narrative for clicks. That's it. They INTENTONALLY choose a take that's controversial. Has nothing to do with Journalism.

Damon Bruce on 95.7 has CRUSHED the Niners for years, PARTICULARLY on issues surrounding the stadium. He called them the "39ers" when they fired Harbaugh, criticising Jed for being Cheap. I don't always agree with him, but what he has NOT done tho is taken a position simply to get him attention. That's the Cohns in a nutshell. Peeps here make the comment about the "approved writers list", but from the VERY BEGINNING, the guys I've talked about like this were Tim Kawakami and the Cohns. That's it. I can tell you within a few seconds of reading an articly if it was one of the Cohns who wrote it. Tim has actually gotten better since being a part of the Athletic.

It also works the other way around. I can't stand Tim Ryan (49ers radio color guy) because he is SUCH a homer its painful.

The best guys are still the Matts...Maiocco and Barrows. Most often its just the facts and if there is any opinion, its typically not incendiary in either direction. Maiocco tho was pretty hard on the Niners after the Miami loss.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
As far as commentators Damon's one of the best on radio/TV. Certainly more interesting than Greg Papa or Laura Britt for example.

As far as print commentators, yeah the Matts. Kawakami was often derided in past years for taking sides for clicks but I found him journalistically sound. The Cohns are on an island there in Wine Country.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1krcwhfp said:
As far as commentators Damon's one of the best on radio/TV. Certainly more interesting than Greg Papa or Laura Britt for example.

As far as print commentators, yeah the Matts. Kawakami was often derided in past years for taking sides for clicks but I found him journalistically sound. The Cohns are on an island there in Wine Country.

I'd say that's correct, particularly on Kawakami of late.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Look, Brunskill was pretty good at tackle. And McG is looking like that's not his position of late.

Has McG played guard?

Should they just switch them?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2o1u4vbw said:
Look, Brunskill was pretty good at tackle. And McG is looking like that's not his position of late.

Has McG played guard?

Should they just switch them?

McGlinchey played guard vs the Vikings in week 1 of his rookie year after they got ravaged by injures. He hadn't played the position since High School. It didn't go well.

I dunno. If things don't improve I'm sure they will look at some lineup changes. McGlinchey was playing really well toward the end of last year. Not sure what happened.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Sunday night is a must win for the Niners, and their offense will be almost fully healthy. Missing half their defense, but I think they will show up Sunday night. Their season is over if they lose this game with the upcoming schedule.

For the Rams, it's already our fourth road game and fourth in five weeks - those two factors combined, I get why the Rams are favored, but I think the Niners should win

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":chidkf86 said:
Sunday night is a must win for the Niners, and their offense will be almost fully healthy. Missing half their defense, but I think they will show up Sunday night. Their season is over if they lose this game with the upcoming schedule.

For the Rams, it's already our fourth road game and fourth in five weeks - those two factors combined, I get why the Rams are favored, but I think the Niners should win

I mean, I HOPE you are right, but I think the Rams are going to get up on the scoreboard against the decimated D, forcing the O to pass to catch up and exposing their poor protection and force them away from their strength, the run game.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":3arwa3om said:
Ramfan128":3arwa3om said:

I mean, I HOPE you are right, but I think the Rams are going to get up on the scoreboard against the decimated D, forcing the O to pass to catch up and exposing their poor protection and force them away from their strength, the run game.

What's interesting is the symmetry to last year. Week 6 both years, the NFC West team everyone slept on up two games on the defending NFC champs. I obviously hope I'm wrong and we effectively end the Niners season Sunday Night, but I also am not going to let that define the Rams season. Even if we lose, 4-2 is a great start.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Whelp, they have a pulse.

Interesting takeaways from that game.

-The 49ers can play defense (muh injuries was just an excuse.)

-There offensive line looked great, and shutout Aaron Donald. (another supposed excuse.)

-Kyle had an amazing opening script, that protected his QB, while also simultaneously built up his confidence.

-Getting blown out by the Dolphins was the best thing to happen to them. It lit some fires and snapped them out of their malaise. My evaluation was it wasn't the injuries, or the O-Line, or other excuses, etc… No, focus and desire was the primary culprit to their haphazard play.

-Was this a one off? Or is this how they're going to play the rest of the season?

D

DomeHawk

Fade":1f6xvlad said:

-There offensive line looked great, and shutout Aaron Donald. (another supposed excuse.)

-Kyle had an amazing opening script, that protected his QB, while also simultaneously built up his confidence.

-Getting blown out by the Dolphins was the best thing to happen to them. It lit some fires and snapped them out of their malaise. My evaluation was it wasn't the injuries, or the O-Line, or other excuses, etc… No, focus and desire was the primary culprit to their haphazard play.

-Was this a one off? Or is this how they're going to play the rest of the season?

Well, first of all the Dolphins are showing that they are not the weak team the media and others here have portrayed them to be. Sunday was a good day for us as the Rams lost and another opponent, GB, lost also. If current trends continue it is likely that GB would be the largest obstacle to reaching the SB.

SF still has weapons and good coaching, can't count anyone out at this juncture.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Stanley

Reaction score
Lol at comparing your injuries to the 9ers.

If Wilson wasn’t scrambling and throwing bombs at a ridiculous rate, you wouldn’t be where you are now. Can you keep it up? That’s the key because your defense is garbage.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How cute, downplaying the Hawks 5-0 record. Good luck with that.
I love the salty tears of a "faithful" Niner fan.

chris98251

Reaction score
Stanley":2x3o4tl4 said:
Lol at comparing your injuries to the 9ers.

If Wilson wasn’t scrambling and throwing bombs at a ridiculous rate, you wouldn’t be where you are now. Can you keep it up? That’s the key because your defense is garbage.

If Montana didn't have Walsh as a coach you would have no rust in the cabinet either, been how many years and some of you guys still don't get it, it's what he does, it's how he works, it's his signature style of play.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":299bik31 said:

Injuries were NOT just an excuse.

Watch the Dolphins game. Fitz went after the same DB over, and over, and over , and over. He simply could not make a play. He was also penalized on PI and PF (horse collar). They finally had to remove him from the game and put in Witherspoon who was only active to play in the event of an emergency. Dude allowed like 130 yards, a TD, a PI and a PF....and he was removed from the game before halftime. No joke...they started their SEVENTH corner.

Simply getting Moseley back was HUGE.

What IS notable is that Verrett has been great. It will be interesting when Sherman and Williams get back (Williams in the slot). If Sherm is close to what he was, Sherman and Verrett is pretty damn good. Problem is that they still can't apply pressure without Bosa or Ford.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marv, after the get-right game with Rams I am seeing our 11/1 matchup as...well a tossup.

We have no Jadaveon Clowney type and you guys don't have Bosa. We have Carson but under him an aging Hyde and then Homer, whom no one likes, whereas you have this Hasty character. Your RB position is probably superior there and that's by deliberate design of Shan.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1vkqlw49 said:
Marv, after the get-right game with Rams I am seeing our 11/1 matchup as...well a tossup.

We have no Jadaveon Clowney type and you guys don't have Bosa. We have Carson but under him an aging Hyde and then Homer, whom no one likes, whereas you have this Hasty character. Your RB position is probably superior there and that's by deliberate design of Shan.

Nah.

1) Yes Clowney is good, but IMO Bosa was far better. Clowney is a very, very good overall defender, but he's never been the elite pass rusher he was billed to be. I do agree though that Seattle has some issues with its pass rush.

2) RB position not so good right now. Mostert just went on IR. Coleman already on IR. McKinnon....eh....jury out on that one. Hasty? He looked ok last night, but what you saw is essentially his entire NFL career. Carson is far, far better than any RB the 49ers can currently put on the field.

EDIT: Oh. Joy. Not just Mostert, but Ben Garland, their BACKUP Center. They are now on their third string center. I think that's now 20 players on IR.

Trent Williams and Jaquiski Tartt also hurt and unknown if they play on sunday. I mean at some point you just have to laugh, right?