Wilson is like the Brett Favre of this era

RussB

Reaction score
Both guy were very physically and mentally tough, if im correct favre didnt miss a single game in his whole career and took a beating in games. Both guys have made a career off of spectacular improv plays. Anyone else notice how similiar both guys are?

andyh64000

Reaction score
RussB":2oi5ilgi said:
Both guy were very physically and mentally tough, if im correct favre didnt miss a single game in his whole career and took a beating in games. Both guys have made a career off of spectacular improv plays. Anyone else notice how similiar both guys are?

Except the Favre was a gunslinger who would take (and often make) tons of chances whereas Russ is more on the careful side and almost never just throws a ball up for grabs.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't find anything similar with Wilson and Favre except they both played QB in Wisconsin.

There really isn't a good comparison for the way Wilson plays QB. It's unique.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wilson is also much more in tune with his Coaching............Holmgren wanted to strangle Favre at times for going off script and taking wild and unnecessary chances.
Favre was fun to watch, but not very good at being disciplined....Definitely a one of a kind, and that is what Russell Wilson is going to be revered for being when it comes time to hang up his cleats.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Basis4day":1s9br8ii said:
I don't find anything similar with Wilson and Favre except they both played QB in Wisconsin.

Steve Young.

SeaChat

Reaction score
3wilson13sRussell Wilson is a really rare bird. Everyone was trying to write him off before he ever found his way into the NFL. I remember during the draft, I had read his stats from college and saw that he clearly had not let his size become a deterrent for him there and I was convinced that he wouldn't let it be one in the NFL either. If anything he has used his size and all the nay sayers as motivation to push himself to places no common man could or would anyways, .

What I see in Russell is a guy with one hell of a work ethic. He is as good as he is because he works ten times harder than someone else would at his position with his, what a lot of people, believe to be handicap, i.e. size, and as a result is ten times more durable and ten times better at his craft than most of the others out there playing his position.

He has a very strong faith base that keeps him centered and focused. He needs to be careful that he doesn't get so heavenly bound that that he becomes of no earthly good, but I think he has found his balance in that act, and uses his faith as one of many driving forces in his life.

He is convinced that one day he will be recognized as one of, or the greatest Quarter Back in NFL History, with more Super Bowl wins under his belt than any other. Including Brett Favre. He could be right.

The one thing that has worried me some, is his injuries this season. As a former coach (boxing) I saw that my fighters, when in superb physical condition, were not easily injured, but if they slacked off or decided that they just needed to train hard enough to be in shape to compete, that was when they started getting injured. I can't help but wonder if earlier in the season, that Russell didn't conclude that he didn't need to work himself as hard physically as he had in past years, and concurred that improvement on his skills would suffice and bring him the same or better results than in past seasons, and opened him up to injuries as a result.

If that were the case, I hope he has recognized that in himself and turned the conditioning dial back up on high for the rest of the season. I'm not saying that every player that gets hurt out there isn't in good shape and isn't working hard enough, I am saying that it's been my experience, that athletes who work themselves beyond the norm experience much fewer injuries and much less serious injuries when they do.

I remember listening to an interview with Michael Jordan, and one of his responses was that he was no better player than the majority of the other guys on the court, what separated him from all the others was that he worked harder at his craft than anyone else he'd ever known, before or since, and that a lot of players could be as great as him if they were willing to make that kind of a sacrifice. I think Russell is one of those players.

In summary, if Russell want's to achieve these goals he has set for himself, I think they are very much attainable for him, God has blessed him with all that he needs to succeed, he only needs to do the work necessary to get there and I think he will. He may or may not beat Brett's record, but he will leave one heck of a mark in NFL Quarter Back history.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RussB":204p0v1g said:
Wrong.

sent from the charred remains of a note 7 using tapatalk

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Basis4day":1e0w5n4e said:

I was just talking about the toughness. Favre was probably the toughest QB in history he never missed a game no matter how bad he got beat up. Thats what i was comparing, wilson is a tough SOB and isnt rattled easily just like Favre was. LIke in the NFC championship game against the packers, he threw 3 or for picks and and got hit really hard then came back and threw the game winning TD in OT.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":nchl6y1f said:
JSeahawks":nchl6y1f said:
Basis4day":nchl6y1f said:

Steve Young.

Fran Tarkenton. Steve Young was fragile.

Perhaps Staubach too. Both highly intelligent, efficient, great runners, calm under fire and at their best on the big stage. And both class acts also. I can also see Wilson following in Staubach's steps as a highly successful businessman.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Favre would also have a couple games every season that were truly awful. Wilson has had a couple of horrible games, but nothing like what Favre's trend was in that regard; and they're not very similar players in many ways, IMO.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":14z0yoa4 said:

I'm a huge Favre fan. Bigly. BUT this is true, Wilson is not much like Favre.

The closest comparison to greatness I know of is probably Steve Young. I suspect they will follow similar paths as Russell ages and matures.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He's Rock Lee, if anyone who's ever seen the anime Naruto knows what I mean.

Like Pacific101 says, that he has to work 10x harder than everyone else because of his size limitation. He wasn't born with the physical tools of a Cam Newton. To be as great as he has been he almost has to be perfect or even near perfect, and even with all those records breaking, he's still not defined as a pocket passing QB by most because he decides to take off here and there.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Nothing like Favre. Wilson would never text someone a pic of his junk.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Wilson is Wilson. There are no comparisons. He's truly unique. One of a kind.

sent from the charred remains of a note 7 using tapatalk

Osprey

Reaction score
RussB":3eykdndg said:
I was just talking about the toughness. Favre was probably the toughest QB in history he never missed a game no matter how bad he got beat up.

IMHO taking Vicodin by the handful disqualifies you from the toughest title. Are you really gritting it out when you're stoned out of your mind?

erik2690

Reaction score
pacific101":8n70seqd said:
The one thing that has worried me some, is his injuries this season. As a former coach (boxing) I saw that my fighters, when in superb physical condition, were not easily injured, but if they slacked off or decided that they just needed to train hard enough to be in shape to compete, that was when they started getting injured. I can't help but wonder if earlier in the season, that Russell didn't conclude that he didn't need to work himself as hard physically as he had in past years, and concurred that improvement on his skills would suffice and bring him the same or better results than in past seasons, and opened him up to injuries as a result.

This is what we call anecdotal. In a fairly extreme way. Did we not watch the plays he got hurt on? There's nothing about those injuries that logically leads back to a lack of effort and to try to draw that line seems silly.

When I was coaching soccer I saw that players who wore Uggs really didn't get injured much. The players who didn't were more likely to have problems. Before the 2008 season Tom Brady wasn't wearing his Uggs as often. Week 1 torn ACL.

Or injuries can happen to any human body or something.

Latest posts