Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Extend him before the 2017 season.

Votes: 69 71.9%
  • Cut/trade him in offseason.

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Now that we are finally seeing the Wilson to Graham combo take flight, what would you do for 2017 and beyond?

If you're unaware of his contract ramifications.. Graham is poised to make 10M next season in the final year of his deal. In 2018 he becomes an unrestricted FA at age 31.

So what would you do going forward with Jimmy Graham?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would try to extend him for another 2-3 years if Schneider can convince Graham and his agent to stay around the same cap number.

Might be hard, cause Graham's only 29, and probably could get a 4-5 year monster contract if he hits free agency. But luckily like what happened in NO, we could franchise him at a much lower number for TE's if it came to that.

Bottom line for me, and I've said this all along, I liked the Unger trade and knew it would start paying off once the chemistry was there and Graham was healthy. Just hadn't happened yet.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3408m0mn said:
I would try to extend him for another 2-3 years if Schneider can convince Graham and his agent to stay around the same cap number.

Might be hard, cause Graham's only 29, and probably could get a 4-5 year monster contract if he hits free agency. But luckily like what happened in NO, we could franchise him at a much lower number for TE's if it came to that.

Bottom line for me, and I've said this all along, I liked the Unger trade and knew it would start paying off once the chemistry was there and Graham was healthy. Just hadn't happened yet.

His franchise tag amount in 2018 would be for $12 million (the higher amount of either: 120% of his 2017 cap hit, or the TE franchise tag). I'd assume the $12 would be larger than the TE tag in '18.

I'd rather extend him after the season in the hope he retires a seahawk. What an animal last night.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Extend.

More guarantees (he has none and with recent patella tendon rupture he's going to want those). Lower cap hit next year.

His style of play and physical gifts should mean he's a mismatch player well into his 30s. Assuming health of course. There shouldn't be the typical apprehension to extend due to age.

Basically the factors line up nicely.

1. Last year of deal? Check
2. Motivation for player to extend? Check
3. Expected long term value? Check
4. Key/Core player on team? Check

Should really be a no brainer. And help pave the way for a Bennett extension which is also expected. By being able to manipulate cap spend off a high figure 10m value currently.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Extend. We're looking at around 30 million in cap space next from what I've read.

Spread his cap hit out a little bit, get Bennett signed (like Atylla said), and lock him up for the rest of his career.

You could see how it should work last night; they targeted Baldwin at first, the defense flexed over that way, and Graham gutted them up the middle.

Also gotta love his catch range and hands. Good grief on those 2 TD receptions.

UK_Hawk

Reaction score
Extend. Feels like we're just starting to see what he can offer.

justafan

Reaction score
For me it depends on the development of players like Fant, Glow,Vannett,Reed and even Britts continued improvement.

I wouldnt sacrifice the Oline for a finesse TE especially if Vannett develops intro the type of TE that this offense needs and is worth signing to a new contract in 3 years.I just put more value into the tough,physical meat and potatoes player than a pass catching TE. Now if he puts his heart into blocking and becomes a complete TE I would.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If Cable and Bevell stay then I say cut him. They could use the money for Oline help/HB help. They have shown that they are more effective when they implement a power running type of attack.

Fade

Reaction score
Extend. On the open market desperate teams with lots of cap space do desperate things. He would garner $15M+ APY on the open market, easy.

Do an extension for 5 years $60M with a nice signing bonus which would be fair. On the open market he would be offered something like 5 years $80M, if not more.

LOL @ people thinking spending money on the O-Line will fix it. When Seattle had one of the most expensive O-Lines in the league they were still terrible. (RW & Lynch masked them.) So you would lose Jimmy, and then still suck on the O-Line. Great Idea.

O-Lines are built through the draft. Free Agency is for stop gaps, or short term veterans looking to chase a ring on the cheap.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
They paid Marshawn $12M in the hope he could stay on top. If they figure Graham is potentially that important too, they will for sure make an offer that large.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely 100% extend the man. He has shown when healthy what he is capable of. He's a game changer. The type of player any team in their right minds would clamor over to have on their roster.

6'7" beast with soft hands with a 747 wingspan and game changing play making ability. You don't let those guys go.

And now that Russell is obviously building trust and chemistry with him? It's a no-brainer.

Largent80

Reaction score
He is a once in a lifetime player and defies logic from his injury last year. EXTEND him easily.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Sorry folks, word on the street, after Supernaturally coming back to the game in arguably BETTER shape...and after watching those 2 one handed TD's last week, Marvel/Disney has 'secretly' bought ALL rights to JG and are in the beginning stages of writing the to be named Netflix series. He's gone after this season...

:sarcasm_off:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Without a doubt extend that man. He's a HOF talent with insane athletic ability, incredible drive to come back from a horrible injury and makes some of the finest catches in the league.

How there are more than a few people that still say to cut him is beyond comprehension.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'd like to see an extension to have more money to play with next year. Wilson is going to want him around since they are good friends and they are really starting to find that chemistry on the field too.

Latest posts