Scoring Defense

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Considering the offenses we've played, can it be true that we're still second on the Scoring Defense list at 1pt/g behind Minny?

=>Of the top 10 best offenses, we've played the number 1 (Falcons), 2 (Saints), 6 (Patriots), 9 (Bills) so far.

=>In the next several weeks, we play the 10 (Eagles), 11 (Packers), 12 (Panthers), and 13 (Bucs). That makes 8 of the top 13 by season's end, if things continue as they are now.

=>And although they don't score as many points (20th in pts/g, one place ahead of us), the Cardinals have a top 10 Yard/game average.

Where do you think we'll be at the end of the season with this list of great offenses we're playing? Will games against SF and the Rams lower our averages enough to get the #1 again?

Don't get me wrong, I care far more about post-season win stats than scoring D, but our consistency over the past several years causes me to monitor this stat a bit more than I would otherwise.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I really don't know how it will all shake out--but if we're number one for a fifth straight year, you can go ahead and say it, this is the greatest defensive unit of all time. Include several hall of fame players. I can't wait to see where it all ends up.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But can we take the ranking out of the Viking's hands? Making up almost one point/game is quite a bit at this stage in the season.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":316yqd12 said:
But can we take the ranking out of the Viking's hands? Making up almost one point/game is quite a bit at this stage in the season.

One good shutout should do it. San Francisco anyone???

Hawknballs

Reaction score
HawkGA":306fr3r9 said:
Ad Hawk":306fr3r9 said:

Haha. Probably.

Kaeperdink loves playing the Seahawks in Seattle and throwing them the ball.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not harder than you'd think.

First 5 weeks, Minnesota hadn't allowed 20 points in any game (avg. 12.6 per game)

Last 4 weeks they've not allowed less than 20 points in any game (22.5 per game).

Their offense is pretty weak. And their schedule probably has 4 more 20+ opponents. Of the three that might go under, two are on the road (Jax and GB).

I still see Minnesota regressing the next 3 games. So it's not altogether improbable. If Seattle continues to build momentum on both sides, it can happen by end of month.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ec14o2cw said:
Not harder than you'd think.

First 5 weeks, Minnesota hadn't allowed 20 points in any game (avg. 12.6 per game)

Last 4 weeks they've not allowed less than 20 points in any game (22.5 per game).

Their offense is pretty weak. And their schedule probably has 4 more 20+ opponents. Of the three that might go under, two are on the road (Jax and GB).

I still see Minnesota regressing the next 3 games. So it's not altogether improbable. If Seattle continues to build momentum on both sides, it can happen by end of month.

Thanks for thee numbers, Attyla. My fear is that our schedule also contains some teams with scoring potential. Wentz, Newton, Rogers, and Winston can all drive the ball downfield. And every Cardinals game worries me, though this year it probably shouldn't.

If our 3rd down D can get off the field just a bit more frequently, it would probably help this stat, too. Our offense tends to like getting in to 3rd down situations for some reason, but not all teams have such a short-yardage schedule, I realize.

I'll be happy if we hold the Eagles to under 20pts; they have a fairly balanced offense.

12thbrah

Reaction score
We don't even have Michael Bennett right now so anything is possible.

Laloosh

Reaction score
HawkGA":12zc1ii2 said:
Ad Hawk":12zc1ii2 said:

That Rams offense will not score a TD.