FG-Who is new Seahawks starting free safety Steven Terrell?

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/11/2...free-safety-steven-terrell-earl-thomas-injury

What can I tell you about Steven Terrell that you don’t already know?

Terrell made 24 starts at Texas A&M, recording 61 tackles and two interceptions as a senior. It’s not fair to just say “Terrell wasn’t drafted so he must not have been that great” though because he had dozens of teammates who will never even get close to the NFL. Terrell didn’t get to be one of the 250-some players drafted in 2013, but he did have something very special:

Speed.

At his Aggies pro day (funny enough, with Moore and Nwachukwu), Terrell posted a 40-time of 4.36. He followed it up with a 4.35. [vine]bwWQgg0xpuz[/vine]

(I don’t know why, but NFLDraftScout has a 40 low of his at 4.24. That would be incredible, but I don’t know if there’s an actual source for this, I can’t find one.)

The fastest player at the 2013 NFL Combine was Olympic athlete Marquise Goodwin, who ran a 4.27. Then three players ran a 4.34: Texas A&M teammate Ryan Swope, Tavon Austin, and Onterio McCalebb. That would have made Terrell the fifth-fastest player at the combine, only a fraction behind those three, and lagging a little bit behind one of the fastest men in the world. (Unless someone can source that 4.24, then Terrell is faster than the fastest guy in the league maybe.)

At his Texas pro day in 2010, Earl Thomas ran a 4.37, and some say it was a 4.35. (Strangely, he pulled a hamstring on his pro day.) Height (5’10), weight (between 197-207), and speed, they are almost the same. There are other factors of course that made Thomas one of the greatest draft prospects of all-time at the position (depending who you ask, obviously) but let’s not overlook that Terrell wouldn’t be the first secondary player in Seattle to come out of obscurity to become a good or great player.

In fact, that’s the case with literally every single one of them under Carroll, except for Thomas.

Kam Chancellor. DeShawn Shead. Byron Maxwell. Brandon Browner. Ron Parker. Jeremy Lane. More examples. Chris Maragos is doing fine with Philly and got an extension recently. Walter Thurmond. Jeron Johnson. Others.

Terrell signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2013 to play for Gus Bradley and was released during cutdowns to 53 players. He was signed to the practice squad, then later signed with the Houston Texans in December. The Texans let him go and the Seahawks picked him up in July of 2014. He was released during final cuts but Seattle added him to the practice squad, then promoted him to the active roster in October of that year. He’s been so important to the team, despite getting almost no snaps, that they’ve mostly protected him ever since. Think about how many guys they don’t do that for, that they just churn through the practice squad.

Pete Carroll’s been waiting for this moment with almost as much anticipation as Terrell has, I’m sure.