Who are you Seahawks D?

LTH

Reaction score
I rewatched the game and yeah, I'm highly disappointed. There was a lot of expectation for this team to look like a team that is going to make a SB run.... that didn't happen this week.

But truthfully, I'm glad that they took a horrible loss like that the very first game. Every player, every coach has to look them self in the mirror and ask the question, who are you really? Let's see how this team responds to adversity. Let's see how the young players come back from this loss. Let's see how the veteran leadership of this team react to this loss in the locker room. Let's see how Carroll and the coaches use this as a learning/teaching moment. Let's see how Carroll adjusts the scheme to fix the inefficiencies. How this team responds to this loss is going to tell you a lot about this team and its leadership.

Are the Rams as bad as everyone says they are? Stafford put on a show! A lot of times the coverage was really good and Stafford hit some amazing shoestring throws he is an amazing QB. Before we make the determination of how good or bad the Rams are, let's see what they do against the Niners and let's see what the Seahawks do against the Lions. Most people thought the Rams were going to be horrible and the Hawks were going to win this game... that didn't happen. The Rams came in on the road with NOTHING to lose and with a chip on their shoulder exactly like they should have. They made great use of their personal and McVay shredded the Hawks in part because he is a great coach, he did what he was supposed to do. I'm positive that he used the fact that almost EVERYBODY thought the Rams were bottom dwellers and almost everyone looked past the Rams. Maybe the Rams are better than people think we will see.

Hopefully we will get spoon and Adams back this week. Hopefully the Hawks will put together a game plan and Give Detroit a game.

This year I kind of bought into the Hype a bit because I so badly wanted them to be great. But in the back of my mind, I knew that it was going to take the Hawks a few games to find their identity and find their groove. I really believed they were going to get off to a slower start, but I never thought they were going to get rolled like they did.... It's all about the vets playing to potential and the rookies finding a way to contribute in this season. They just need to gel IMO and i think it just takes some time.

I really don't like the fact the starters didn't get any playing time in preseason. I'm hoping that this factor has some merit. I'm hoping that they just looked past the Rams and didn't play well because it was the first game. I just think it's to early to tell how good this team is going to be. I know a lot of people have already given up on this team. I have NOT, although I am extremely disappointed in this first game.

Before you judge them to harshly lets see how they respond to the loss. lets give them 3-4 games to fall into it and see where it goes.

I know there are going to be a ton of people that disagree with me.... and thats ok. lets see where it goes.

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We've seen enough Seahawk games the past 5 years. We know exactly what defense we will have. Pete won't change that.

The goal of the defense is not to give up the big play.
We are the literal embodiment of Bend But Don't Break.
We focus more on limiting risk than ending the possession.

In fact, our philosophy is that more often than not, if you force teams to execute and not make mistakes - they will make enough mistakes to end the drive.

So we don't try to end the possession, we try to force teams to convert 3rd downs and march across the field. Long fields and long drives are the expectation. If you score, you went 60+ yds to do it.

We are banking on your WR missing the route, dropping the pass, or OL missing a block. We aren't trying to force failure, just waiting on you to make a mistake.

We protect the sidelines and the long passes, but to do that, we give up the middle. Which we feel is a worthwhile risk. We are Ok giving up 3 to 5 yds in a pass, even 7.
That said, if you are patient, execute, and able to convert multiple 3rd downs in a drive? You are probably going to score on us but you will get less scoring drives because each drive will eat your clock.

You're likely to reach the red zone but you will have to work for it.
Question is, with this offense, is that kind of defense at all viable?
Doesn't look like it.

Also:
The Rams aren't that good. Their OL is still laughable, RB and WR pedestrian, same with LBs & secondary, and their QB is worse than we made him look.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
We've seen enough Seahawk games the past 5 years. We know exactly what defense we will have. Pete won't change that.

The goal of the defense is not to give up the big play.
We are the literal embodiment of Bend But Don't Break.
We focus more on limiting risk than ending the possession.

In fact, our philosophy is that more often than not, if you force teams to execute and not make mistakes - they will make enough mistakes to end the drive.

So we don't try to end the possession, we try to force teams to convert 3rd downs and march across the field. Long fields and long drives are the expectation. If you score, you went 60+ yds to do it.

We are banking on your WR missing the route, dropping the pass, or OL missing a block. We aren't trying to force failure, just waiting on you to make a mistake.

We protect the sidelines and the long passes, but to do that, we give up the middle. Which we feel is a worthwhile risk. We are Ok giving up 3 to 5 yds in a pass, even 7.
That said, if you are patient, execute, and able to convert multiple 3rd downs in a drive? You are probably going to score on us but you will get less scoring drives because each drive will eat your clock.

You're likely to reach the red zone but you will have to work for it.
Question is, with this offense, is that kind of defense at all viable?
Doesn't look like it.

Also:
The Rams aren't that good. Their OL is still laughable, RB and WR pedestrian, same with LBs & secondary, and their QB is worse than we made him look.

I think Stafford is underrated because with Rodgers out of the conference he moves up into the top five IMO. With that said the Rams OL isn't that good which only raises the concern with the Hawks front seven. However, I think the front seven would do better if they were able to stunt more. Also, the Rams WRs are well suited for the system McVay runs which schemes them open and Staffod is able to hit tight windows.

Tonight will be an interesting matchup. Flores' Vikings defensively may play bear fronts against the Eagles O and Jalen Hurts while the Eagles DC DeSai will have to figure out a way to stop Jefferson from going off as OConnell is going to run a lot of rubs, crossers, bootlegs and play action with Cousins.

It will be an interesting chess match and point to what other NFC foes are doing on defense and what the Hawks can learn from interconference rivals to improve.