The 2013 Team

Largent80

Reaction score
Was 2-2 in their final 4 games of the regular season.

We all know how it ended up.

Talking about the ups and downs his team has been through this season, Carroll last week mentioned that his 2013 team went 2-2 over its final four games, only to eventually win the Super Bowl. And in fact recent history suggests that the hot teams heading into the playoffs aren’t always the ones that win titles.
Over the past 10 seasons, the eventual Super Bowl champions are a combined 21-19 over their final four regular-season games, and every one of those teams lost at least one of their final four games. And yes, a few of those losses were by teams who had playoff seeding wrapped up, but most came in meaningful games by teams that managed to get on track when it mattered most. Included on that list of recent champions are two teams that finished the regular season 1-3, and five others that finished 2-2, which happens to be Seattle’s record over the last four games.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/01/05 ... sday-press

themunn

Reaction score
And just to recall that us going 2-2 wasn't because we could take it easy with the 1 seed wrapped up - we still needed to beat the Rams in the final game to sew it up, otherwise SF would have won the division and we would have been the 5 seed. We lost at home against the Cardinals in the 2nd last game of the season too. Familiar.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Largent80":1ey4kkin said:
Was 2-2 in their final 4 games of the regular season.

We all know how it ended up.

Talking about the ups and downs his team has been through this season, Carroll last week mentioned that his 2013 team went 2-2 over its final four games, only to eventually win the Super Bowl. And in fact recent history suggests that the hot teams heading into the playoffs aren’t always the ones that win titles.
Over the past 10 seasons, the eventual Super Bowl champions are a combined 21-19 over their final four regular-season games, and every one of those teams lost at least one of their final four games. And yes, a few of those losses were by teams who had playoff seeding wrapped up, but most came in meaningful games by teams that managed to get on track when it mattered most. Included on that list of recent champions are two teams that finished the regular season 1-3, and five others that finished 2-2, which happens to be Seattle’s record over the last four games.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/01/05 ... sday-press

AND they lost 2 of their final 3 Division Games of the season. Lynch, didn't have 100yd game between week 10 and the playoff game against the Aints.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Was there "fans" calling the season over after week two of that season as well?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Jimjones0384":3knswhf9 said:

No. It was a perfect preseason followed by our very first 4-0 start in history. We were stoked and shocked.

There were, however, a lot of fans calling the 2005 season over after the 2-2 start that year.

kmeleon

Reaction score
I believe the old post was titled "2-2 is a disaster" in 2005 on the old PI message board :mrgreen:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
In those 2 losses (SF and AZ), the defense only allowed 19 and 17 points.

The 38 to GB, 34 to AZ and 23 to SF is what makes me worried.

That defense also had Earl.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
The year Zona went all the way to the Bowl with Warner, they were terrible in December. They even got blown out bad by some team.

At the end of the day, we have the most talented roster by far!

cymatica

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":d6z5a94o said:

This. The defense had great depth that year, and the o-line was average at least. We had a great running game, defense, 1st rd bye, and homefield. Now the o-line is a mess, defense is suspect and thin, no bye, 1 road game at least, and the competition is tougher.

Apples to oranges

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's pretty much the only similarities I see between the two teams.

That 2013 team had a nasty defense that only gave up barely 2 TD's a game, and a punishing run game with Marshawn in his prime that destroyed teams in the 4th quarter.

This team has holes in the defense, and an offense that is average at best with no identity whatsoever just trying to survive.

So sorry, your comparison gives me no solace. I don't see a team ready to make a run, that should have happened a month ago. I see a team hanging on for dear life.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Offensive line be damned the success or failure of this team will ride on the arm of #3. We need Wilson to add another chapter to his already legendary Seattle postseason career.

RussB

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":375sw9ma said:

Pretty much this, its not that they lost what worries me. Its the fashion they lost in. Giving up over 30 points at home is a red flag going into a home playoff game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
cymatica":3s2fcjpg said:
FlyingGreg":3s2fcjpg said:

This. The defense had great depth that year, and the o-line was average at least.

It wasn't.

It was actually worst in the league at both power run success and adjusted sack rate, according to Football Outsiders.

Earl Thomas, though, is a bigger difference.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fln97a9 said:
That's pretty much the only similarities I see between the two teams.

That 2013 team had a nasty defense that only gave up barely 2 TD's a game, and a punishing run game with Marshawn in his prime that destroyed teams in the 4th quarter.

This team has holes in the defense, and an offense that is average at best with no identity whatsoever just trying to survive.

So sorry, your comparison gives me no solace. I don't see a team ready to make a run, that should have happened a month ago. I see a team hanging on for dear life.

The article doesn't just compare the Seahawks, it compares all teams records.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":27n7i1qs said:
Jimjones0384":27n7i1qs said:

No. It was a perfect preseason followed by our very first 4-0 start in history. We were stoked and shocked.

There were, however, a lot of fans calling the 2005 season over after the 2-2 start that year.

There was actually. I remember a specific poster who is still around today that proclaimed our season over in the first half of the week 2 Niner game at home after Okung went down with an injury. This person even went so far as to say they ripped their Wilson jersey off in disgust.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The 2013 team ended up with better seeding, no doubt.

The number of 3rd seed SB victors means we're bucking some pretty serious history should we make it to the dance.

Our Defense in 13 was just so stifling across the positions, it seemed we could count in it coming through against even good teams. I don't get the same vibe this year, though (even with Earl out), our playmakers are many.

I most definitely don't feel as confident as I did at the start of the 2013 playoffs...

cymatica

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7q2a46k4 said:
cymatica":7q2a46k4 said:
FlyingGreg":7q2a46k4 said:

This. The defense had great depth that year, and the o-line was average at least.

It wasn't.

It was actually worst in the league at both power run success and adjusted sack rate, according to Football Outsiders.

Earl Thomas, though, is a bigger difference.

By statistics maybe, but with Lynch and Wilson back there the results were way better than this year. Wilson was also holding onto the ball longer. I bet if you look up qb hurries and pressure it's worse this year. The run blocking was probably the same, Lynch and Robinson made it work, combined with the zone read it got results.

But that defense and special teams sure allowed them to play their "be safe out there" offense. They need to adapt and get agressive on offense. Attack weaknesses early. Help the defense out and give them some confidence that they can play more loose.