Head to head record, and the psychology of being dominated

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
I know that history is really only history and past accounts by former (or even current) players shouldn't really have any bearing on the present.

But I do believe something can be said about the psychological effect it has in sports where in the past when one team seems to always have the other's number, that it has an effect in their future games. You can feel it and smell it in the air - the stench of fear and anxiety of the fans/players/coaches/TV announcers etc. vs. the swagger and confidence from the other side.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a season is going for the teams involved but in the past if your team has always been the whipping boy, you just know that the something bad is going to happen to your guys (even if you're up by one or two scores).

And you know that Atlanta fans, no matter what they are saying outwardly, are shittering themselves inwardly. Yes, they have a playoff win against our Seahawks but they nearly blew that game against our boys in Russell Wilson's coming out party.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o-head.htm

Atlanta Falcons head to head vs Seattle Seahawks 15 games 5 wins 10 losses 0.333 % win percentage, plus one playoff win.

You have to know that our team is in their heads. That has to be an advantage.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2f50q22z said:
I know that history is really only history and past accounts by former (or even current) players shouldn't really have any bearing on the present.

But I do believe something can be said about the psychological effect it has in sports where in the past when one team seems to always have the other's number, that it has an effect in their future games. You can feel it and smell it in the air - the stench of fear and anxiety of the fans/players/coaches/TV announcers etc. vs. the swagger and confidence from the other side.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a season is going for the teams involved but in the past if your team has always been the whipping boy, you just know that the something bad is going to happen to your guys (even if you're up by one or two scores).

And you know that Atlanta fans, no matter what they are saying outwardly, are shittering themselves inwardly. Yes, they have a playoff win against our Seahawks but they nearly blew that game against our boys in Russell Wilson's coming out party.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o-head.htm

You have to know that our team is in their heads. That has to be an advantage.

One team is playoff tested, the other one is always playoff resting.