I think it's pretty simple, DONT turn it over

gowazzu02

Reaction score
We need to not start ice cold. But even if we're not scoring a ton early. Do not give atl the short field and allow them to jump out quick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think that's a recipe for every game, don't turn it over.

But yes, especially in the playoffs, and especially on the road in the playoffs. You never want to give the other team's fans a reason to get fired up.

As far as starting cold, I'll say the same thing I said for last week's game, and it happened. I don't care if we score a bunch of points in the first half, but I do want to see long sustained drives with success running the ball and converting on 3rd down. Which we saw last Saturday.

Cause it wears the defense down for even more success in the 2nd half.......and most importantly it keeps Ryan and company on the sidelines. If Russell and the offense go out and crap the bed the entire first half with 3 and out's? Then we're in big trouble.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ea98h9s2 said:
I think that's a recipe for every game, don't turn it over.

But yes, especially in the playoffs, and especially on the road in the playoffs. You never want to give the other team's fans a reason to get fired up.

As far as starting cold, I'll say the same thing I said for last week's game, and it happened. I don't care if we score a bunch of points in the first half, but I do want to see long sustained drives with success running the ball and converting on 3rd down. Which we saw last Saturday.

Cause it wears the defense down for even more success in the 2nd half.......and most importantly it keeps Ryan and company on the sidelines. If Russell and the offense go out and crap the bed the entire first half with 3 and out's? Then we're in big trouble.

Great point. I agree getting the run game going and keeping our D off the field is huge. Look at what being on the field all day did to the greatest college D ever assembled in Mondays Natty. Clemson dropped 21 on them in the 4th qtr.

Gotta keep our D fresh, gotta keep Matty Ice in a ball cap.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
We need to smash Matt Ryan into next week and getting him hearing footsteps. If he has time to dictate the pace of the offense I think we will be in trouble.

mikeak

Reaction score
another key will be to score more than them!

Turnovers or not isn't the biggest thing to me. Sustained drives taking time off the clock and if we turn it over not to do it on our side of the field - those are the key items.

and not kicking 3 from the redzone.......

mistaowen

Reaction score
Offense will have to sustain drives. No holding on first downs, no OPI pick plays, no false starts. This offense has shown a holding call on first down basically results in a punt.

Falcons can be run on, I hope the running game resurgence shows up again this week.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Falcons feast off turnovers. They will give up points and big plays but the key is to limit their possessions on offense, which is clearly their strength as a team.

So yes they must avoid the patented slow start and protect the ball for them to have a shot at the upset.

xgeoff

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":50zc1fvq said:
We need to smash Matt Ryan into next week and getting him hearing footsteps. If he has time to dictate the pace of the offense I think we will be in trouble.

This is what I think as well. It's fine if we don't turn it over but if Ryan has all day to throw then it won't matter, we'll get picked apart.

Key on Defense is pressure.

Key on Offense is controlling the line of scrimmage. Our RB's need to make it at least to the line of scrimmage before getting hit. Russ has to have a few seconds to find receivers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The desire to avoid turning the ball over is a large part of why we start slow. Wilson doesn't want to risk interceptions and holds on to a lot of throws. That's also a contributor to why he gets sacked a lot; it's just a result of his style, a consequence of his conservatism. Having never missed the playoffs under him, I'm not sure I'm in a complaining mood.

Largent80

Reaction score
Historically we start slow, so I'm going to try and not blow a gasket if / when it happens again.

But yeah, we can't be giving them free chances to score, nor can they.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Don't throw slants or jump balls into double coverage to Kearse and they should be fine.