Defense is missing...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I've seen posts that the defense is declining. I've seen posts that they are aging. 4 straight years of leading the league in points scored. This year they were 3rd. So, yeah they have declined, but they are still a good to great defense.

Aging? Well obviously everybody ages. Except for Bennett and Avril, every other major contributor is under 30. One might argue that they are really just hitting their prime.

What I think this defense is really missing is Red Bryant or at least that type of leader. There is lots of leadership on the defense. From the quiet Earl Thomas to the never quiet Michael Bennett. Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Wright, all provide their own special brand of leadership. When Red Bryant was here we would hear of his calming leadership abilities. I remember being surprised by his status as a leader. He just didn't seem that way from the outside. Of course none of us are in the locker room or meetings so we just don't really know.
Maybe just maybe, Big Red was the glue that held them all together. Maybe they are missing that cohesive piece of the puzzle. The one guy who keeps the family on task without fights breaking out over the dinner table.

crosfam

Reaction score
I would bet the house (not really) that we are gonna draft heavy Defense (refresh) to add speed and youth to that side of the ball. We seem fairly set on RB, they just need to stay healthy. Pete just endorsed letting the OL develop. Maybe a big receiver, and some special teams help a return man (to keep Locket alive as a WR). DB, DE, DT, and even LB may be priorities. We may get a TE in the draft as I think Willson will get a big contract to go elsewhere and start (really).

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Gave up a 99 yard drive towards end of 2nd qrtr. Legion of Boom is gone

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Marlin Man":25o7nw6v said:
Gave up a 99 yard drive towards end of 2nd qrtr. Legion of Boom is gone
The legion of boom wasn't even playing. Richard Sherman was playing on a bad MCL, he looked as if he was plodding out there as well when I rewatched the game. Couldn't make quick cuts to keep up with receivers and was very slow in change of direction. Shead got injured during the game, Lane was out at one time I believe, Earl Thomas wasn't even playing. We had a lot of major injuries on the defense. I think it would be foolish to expect the same kind of depth that we had the last few years in this era of salary cap football. Once you pay your big, core players you inevitably lose depth, because you cannot afford to pay everyone. We've lost some really great depth over the years, and we were expecting rookies, and young players to fill in the gaps.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Defense is missing a pass rush, it dissapears for games at a time.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I have been saying it for years...

We need a penetrating DT. We get no push up the gut. We need that pocket collapser.

We get that, our edge rushers become lethal.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1017lw86 said:

*Interior pass rush

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
WmHBonney":dvxuzobz said:
mistaowen":dvxuzobz said:
Chukarhawk":dvxuzobz said:

*Interior pass rush

Yep. The rush makes the LOB. Simple.

Well when you only rush 4 and sit in soft zones all game even if you get close to the QB he just finds an open WR most times.

bighawk

Reaction score
The mindset of being great a couple of years ago that's all they talked about but you don't hear that. This year has been an unusual amount of injuries to key members of the team at all times of the year. The only good that came out of it is rediscovering Richardson as a deep threat and all around receiver. The defense needs more guys like Clemons and Bryant.

bighawk

Reaction score
They were physical and took no mess. The question is to these guys is do they really want to be great?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
bighawk":r6f2xvj1 said:
They were physical and took no mess. The question is to these guys is do they really want to be great?

Do you really think this team is playing with no heart. You must not be watching. The difference between many wins and losses is quite often a play or two. With the injuries we had and our offense sputtering was just to much for them.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
it's not just Big Red. The defense has lost many key players that have not been replaced.

we had 4 legit edge rushers: Chris Clemons, Bruce Irvin. Cliff Avil and Mike Bennett. Frank Clark looks solid, but Cassius Marsh doesn't close the gap of having that fourth speed rusher. And we havent replaced the quick DT, MacDonald. Perhaps Jordan Hill was penciled in as his replacement, but he was injury prone. Perhaps Quinton Jefferson will be the guy.

and no one has replaced Brandon Mebane. Maybe Jarron Reed can improve, but losing Mebane really hurt the run defense.

lbs were hurt too. Bruce Irvin and Malcom Smith were not replaced. Perhaps KPL was slated to be Smiths replacement, but that hasn't panned out. we have no one behind Wagner and Wright. needs some serious upgrade there.

Byron Maxwell. can we trade for him? Shead and Lane were disappointing.

lots of changes since the SB win. This will be a huge draft and free agent year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1dm8cjs4 said:
mistaowen":1dm8cjs4 said:
Chukarhawk":1dm8cjs4 said:

*Interior pass rush

Someone else gets it.

You both are spot on. They banked on Quinton Jefferson to be the "interior pass rush" guy but he got injured and placed on IR. Then they went and got Tony McD. Tony is not a bad player but he's not an interior pass rush DT. Neither is John Jenkins. Nor are Jarran Reed and Atybha Rubin. These are all in the same mold - run stuffers. Mebane at least gave them some pass rush ability, they lost that when Mebane left and never replaced that aspect. Look at the QBs that posed problems for the Seahawks - Rodgers, Brees, Palmer, and Ryan. They played Brady well but really that was not the norm this season.

What they could have done is moved Bennett to DT and put Clark in Bennett's DE sport or vice versa. Those two could have provided an interior pass rush.

blaisio

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but I recall in our dominance we had a big fella (red) who took up space and allowed our Leo (Clemons /Irvin) to run free. There really wasn't any talk of the Leo this year. Is this still the concept? Or do we not have the hybrid Leo position?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Rewatched XLVIII the other day. The biggest difference between now and then, was speed. In that game every single play there were 3 or 4 guys swarming to the tackle as soon as the ball was caught. Now it seems it's an effort to stay with the receiver and drag them down for a minimal YAC. It appears there was more man coverage and less zone but I could be wrong.

adeltaY

Reaction score
It would be so cool to find a way to sign Calais Campbell to a reasonable deal. Imagine him with Bennett and Avril, and Clark coming in on third downs. He could even serve as a mentor for our young DTs, Reed and Jefferson. Dude had a fantastic year, but from reading some Cardinals sites, it seems like the fans want to keep him but doubt Keim will re-sign him. Having a legit interior pass rusher would do wonders for the defense. Imagine our guys being able to collapse the opposing QB's pocket as fast as Russ' collapses on an average down... a man can dream.

crosfam

Reaction score
I don't think spending significant money on aging vets is part of the Seahawks business plan. I think we look for another Frank Clark in the draft, and maybe a few inexpensive FA signings. We do need some fresh, fast blood on defense. DB and DL will probably get significant early attention in the draft this year, IMHO.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
blaisio":2sphht6a said:
Maybe a stupid question, but I recall in our dominance we had a big fella (red) who took up space and allowed our Leo (Clemons /Irvin) to run free. There really wasn't any talk of the Leo this year. Is this still the concept? Or do we not have the hybrid Leo position?
That's a great question. Was KJ the Leo and Morgan the Sam?