[youtube]yq-k5BKr0R8[/youtube]

Quick conclusions:

* We still have issues at CB2

* Kris Richard needs to get a little less predictable

* Just some tough plays

* Kyle Shanahan is amongst the better play-callers in the NFL right now

* Matt Ryan deserves the NFC throne

* If you had this many offensive weapons, you'd be near unstoppable, too

So is it Kyle Shanahan's play calling that makes this nearly unstoppable offense or is it the nearly unstoppable offense that makes Kyle Shanahan?

irfuben32

Reaction score
I like where the left tackle completely whiffs but he is still able to hit a checkdown for 5 yards...

cymatica

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2l2yheuo said:
MontanaHawk05":2l2yheuo said:
[youtube]yq-k5BKr0R8[/youtube]

Quick conclusions:

* We still have issues at CB2

* Kris Richard needs to get a little less predictable

* Just some tough plays

* Kyle Shanahan is amongst the better play-callers in the NFL right now

* Matt Ryan deserves the NFC throne

* If you had this many offensive weapons, you'd be near unstoppable, too

So is it Kyle Shanahan's play calling that makes this nearly unstoppable offense or is it the nearly unstoppable offense that makes Kyle Shanahan?

They compliment each other. Also notice how they changed formations with packages they don't use as much. They adapted to our defense. One of the best offenses and they weren't stubborn, they mixed it up and did it aggressively

cymatica

Reaction score
irfuben32":390ff86o said:
I like where the left tackle completely whiffs but he is still able to hit a checkdown for 5 yards...

I like where he has the option of a checkdown.

getnasty

Reaction score
cymatica":1uebc5am said:
irfuben32":1uebc5am said:

I like where he has the option of a checkdown.

If you don't have a RB stay in to block your able to have that option. Weapons wise were not quite on Atlanta's level and Play Caller wise were not there either but the biggest difference is QB play in my opinion. Russ really took a step back this year while Matt Ryan was light years ahead of were he has been. Not really Russell's fault will the injurys and paranoia of always being under pressure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":y1vw51zh said:

It's always a mixture of both, that's what makes the game so interesting to watch.

That's why I'm not really worried about Shanahan going to SF, cause he's going to go from having the most offensive weapons in football and an elite QB to bare cupboards.

But yes, the Hawk's D has ALWAYS been predictable under Pete. Because the way Pete and John is not about scheme, it's been about being bigger, faster, stronger and more physical than you. So try to beat us if you can.

Unfortunately since 2013 the D hasn't held their end of that scheme philosophy. Thus 99 yard drives.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Atlanta's offense is fun to watch. Well, when they are not playing us.

The thought going into the Super Bowl is evil genius Bill will devise a way to stop them. I don't think so.

I think Atlanta puts up 30.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2r3hszd0 said:
But yes, the Hawk's D has ALWAYS been predictable under Pete. Because the way Pete and John is not about scheme, it's been about being bigger, faster, stronger and more physical than you. So try to beat us if you can.

Unfortunately since 2013 the D hasn't held their end of that scheme philosophy. Thus 99 yard drives.

The sad thing is we'll go into 2017 with the same philosophy and fail yet again. At what point does that philosophy get abandoned?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":e9hxx3w9 said:
Sgt. Largent":e9hxx3w9 said:

The sad thing is we'll go into 2017 with the same philosophy and fail yet again. At what point does that philosophy get abandoned?

Pete's 65, he ain't changing now.

IMO the only way that sort of nasty ass 2013 defense stays that dominant is to continue to churn the defensive roster with the next batch of young talented ballers. Because that's what defense is all about, and while our core group is still good, they're older, richer and not playing to that level of physicality and health.

More injuries, older, got paid, more distractions.

So you don't change philosophy or scheme, but we should be moving some of that cap space over to the offensive side of the ball to make up for the defense not holding teams to 12 pts a game anymore. If there's been a failing? It's been Pete and John continuing to hope that dominance returns to justify the cap expense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's fun to watch Atlanta play offense. Also, extremely frustrating because they actually SWITCH it up once in awhile. Our O is so incredibly predictable. Same crap over and over again.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Yeesh, counter punch after counter punch. They really know how to manipulate our zones with motion pre-snap. I'm sure Dan Quinn knows all about scheming our zone against ourselves. They did it in the first game of the year a lot as well.

Good share, thanks Montana.

RussB

Reaction score
Saw that earlier today. They picked those zones apart easy. Terrell is also just terrible but i cant blame him he had some big shoes to fill and was thrust into a very difficult role.

evergreen

Reaction score
With l less than hot QB and no Earl we were too undermanned.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RussB":1c650l45 said:
Saw that earlier today. They picked those zones apart easy. Terrell is also just terrible but i cant blame him he had some big shoes to fill and was thrust into a very difficult role.

He is terrible. I don't expect him to be the next ET but he should have been better than he showed. He's been on the team for 3 years and was playing like a rookie. Lane wasn't much better either. Lane got a new contract so he's definitely needs to get his act together.

They need to find a solid backup FS either through FA or the draft. The good thing is that this draft is stocked with nice DBs (FS) - Baker, Williams, Maye, Moreau, Evans, Jackson, Jerome, etc. Hopefully they can snag a young player who can be groomed to take over for ET when he decides to retire.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This game feels like XLVIII to me, only with the Patriots being us. The team with the #1 defense has won every aside from the year a ridiculously stacked Niners team won (1st offense, 3rd defense) over Denver in a 55-10 rout.

I just think the Falcons had the easiest path to the Super Bowl they could have hoped for. They dodged coming here (though it may have not mattered) and did get us with no Earl Thomas and then down Shead during the game. They got the Packers skeleton crew in the title game.

It was the exact same road the Broncos took to their Super Bowl against us.

Also not that it means anything to this game, but every game outside of 2 have been blowouts. Just been a weird postseason.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13bnxqmk said:
nash72":13bnxqmk said:
Sgt. Largent":13bnxqmk said:

So you don't change philosophy or scheme, but we should be moving some of that cap space over to the offensive side of the ball to make up for the defense not holding teams to 12 pts a game anymore. If there's been a failing? It's been Pete and John continuing to hope that dominance returns to justify the cap expense.

In order for us to reach the Superbowl again though, I feel we must change the philosophy somewhat. Like you said, start concentrating on the offense more because the defense isn't capable of doing whats expected of them. Also, the play calling is just going to have to be better. I don't expect this team to score 40 every game, but they cant afford to go entire quarters without first downs or halfs in which they only score 3. There's too much talent for that to be happening. The philosophy needs to swap over from the D to the O.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3dw0id0p said:
This game feels like XLVIII to me, only with the Patriots being us. The team with the #1 defense has won every aside from the year a ridiculously stacked Niners team won (1st offense, 3rd defense) over Denver in a 55-10 rout.

I just think the Falcons had the easiest path to the Super Bowl they could have hoped for.

The difference is though this #1 Pats defense is not even close to the HISTORIC 2013 Seattle defense.

The Pats played a schedule full of Tyrod Taylors, Landry Joneses and Ryan Fitzpatricks. The best (and only good QB they faced outside of maybe Flacco) was Wilson... and they lost that game. The Pats gave up 1000 yards more than the 2013 Seahawks did... there's really no comparison. The Pats are #1 in scoring, #16 in DVOA. The Falcons have beaten the #1 and #3 teams in DVOA.

The Pats have faced nothing even close to what Atlanta is going to bring on Sunday.

As for the easiest road to the Super Bowl... I'd agree. I was calling for it from the beginning. Seattle at home... then Dallas losing to GB and that's exactly what happened. Honestly though I'd have been just as comfortable going into Dallas as I am now going into Houston.

Regarding the 99 yard drive... I agree with everyone saying the Falcons offense is fun to watch. It really is. The thing about that drive was it starting on the 1/2 yard line and Ryan coming out in the shotgun.

No fear. As a fan I think the Falcons can score on every drive... unfortunately they don't though... only about 53% of the time. :mrgreen:

Shanahan? He won't have the same weapons in SF that's for sure. Good luck Kyle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":33deisd7 said:
Hasselbeck":33deisd7 said:

I just think the Falcons had the easiest path to the Super Bowl they could have hoped for.

The difference is though this #1 Pats defense is not even close to the HISTORIC 2013 Seattle defense.

The Pats played a schedule full of Tyrod Taylors, Landry Joneses and Ryan Fitzpatricks. The best (and only good QB they faced outside of maybe Flacco) was Wilson... and they lost that game. The Pats gave up 1000 yards more than the 2013 Seahawks did... there's really no comparison. The Pats are #1 in scoring, #16 in DVOA. The Falcons have beaten the #1 and #3 teams in DVOA.

The Pats have faced nothing even close to what Atlanta is going to bring on Sunday.

As for the easiest road to the Super Bowl... I'd agree. I was calling for it from the beginning. Seattle at home... then Dallas losing to GB and that's exactly what happened. Honestly though I'd have been just as comfortable going into Dallas as I am now going into Houston.

Regarding the 99 yard drive... I agree with everyone saying the Falcons offense is fun to watch. It really is. The thing about that drive was it starting on the 1/2 yard line and Ryan coming out in the shotgun.

No fear. As a fan I think the Falcons can score on every drive... unfortunately they don't though... only about 53% of the time. :mrgreen:

Shanahan? He won't have the same weapons in SF that's for sure. Good luck Kyle.

Since there's an opening for an OC after Sunday on the Falcons. There's a great offensive mind in Seattle...his name is Tom Cable. FalconsFanNW can give the message to Dan Q? Tom would be a great coordinator for the Falcons next season and beyond.

A-Dog

Reaction score
On the touchdown, you have Marsh, Rubin, and McDaniel on the field with Bennett trying to rush the passer. That is a problem.