Falcons Or Us....

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Five months late. Oh well. In your opinion, was the Dirty Birds loss or us losing to the Patriots in SB 49 worse?

Personally I think it's Atlanta. Hawks at least won the year before. They blew a 10 point lead. Falcons 25 point lead. It took a bunch of bone headed decisions for Atlanta to lose. Took one ( Albeit Gutwrenching) for the Hawks to lose. Oh, I feel bad for Dan Quinn too. Brady will be in his dreams forever.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Impossible to tell at this point.

I'd say SB49. It single handedly scuttled a nascent dynasty in it's tracks. Seattle hasn't come close to the conference title game since -- resulting in decidedly lopsided defeats to eventual conference champions. And it's effects are still felt even heading into this season.

If Atlanta overcomes their loss, then the points advantage won't matter. It's about how the loss affected the team going forward.

RussB

Reaction score
Falcons epic collapse was pretty bad. I still think hawks is worse because they would have been a dynasty had they won and would have beat brady and peyton back to back that is legendary stuff right there.

I think they would have 3 or 4 by now that loss really set the team back.

kobebryant

Reaction score
49 - as mentioned above, it derailed a dynasty in the making and may not be recoverable for the Carroll era Seahawks.

Though personally I'm still giddy about 48 and can die a happy man because I only needed to see one. 49 taught me not to take sports so seriously, as that loss affected me for days, which is really silly in retrospect considering I'm not on the team. 49 ultimately made me a better sports fan than I had been, I love the wins and don't even think about the losses after they've happened.

But I fully understand how both the actual Seahawls and Falcons organizations can be indefinitely traumatized by what happened.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The Falcons loss was worse. Our loss was so sudden like a swift kick in the gut, the Falcons loss was a monumental collapse. It was like a horror movie, only much more drawn out and scary for Falcon fans.

And the argument about the Hawks loss derailing the dynasty, it's tough to predict what the Hawks would've done the following seasons had they won. Would winning back to back kept the team motivated enough to complete the dynasty? Is it possible that this team has said enough is enough and regained that chip on their shoulder to avenge that loss? We don't know

NJlargent

Reaction score
Atlanta's loss was much worse.

I think the better question is which was a worse play, our play or Atlanta's decision to pass and take a sack knocking them out of field-goal range that would have put them up 11 and they could have then run clock.

RussB

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3inxl00h said:
The Falcons loss was worse. Our loss was so sudden like a swift kick in the gut, the Falcons loss was a monumental collapse. It was like a horror movie, only much more drawn out and scary for Falcon fans.

And the argument about the Hawks loss derailing the dynasty, it's tough to predict what the Hawks would've done the following seasons had they won. Would winning back to back kept the team motivated enough to complete the dynasty? Is it possible that this team has said enough is enough and regained that chip on their shoulder to avenge that loss? We don't know
If they went back to back with that defense they would have so much momentum going into the next season i think they would be back again. They would have beaten the 2 best quarterbacks of all time i just dont see how they wouldnt continue riding the wave.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It all depends on what Atlanta does this season in my opinion. If they can pull an opposite of the Seahawks and come back strong to win the SB, than I would say ours is worse because it downright crippled Seattle. They still haven't recovered from it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Does it matter? I know which one sucked more.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":34qm789p said:
It all depends on what Atlanta does this season in my opinion. If they can pull an opposite of the Seahawks and come back strong to win the SB, than I would say ours is worse because it downright crippled Seattle. They still haven't recovered from it.

Went and visited one of the falcon sites. Found this among other posts there....

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic ... n-the-nfl/

ESPN insider with the listing within the string. Just curious about it myself. There was another string that mentioned a few contenders they were concerned with. Us was a tiny bit of a concern.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic ... 0-in-2017/

Move to NFL Forum if you would like...I just thought I would keep it in this falcons or us thread.

cymatica

Reaction score
From the falcons msg board
The argument that parity makes it even more difficult for a team in this era to have a perfect season is valid, yet the New England Patriots have shown that a team can still become dominant and maintain that elite status over a long period of time if you have all the right pieces.

The Falcons, more so than any other team besides the Patriots, have put the right pieces together on both sides of the ball to overcome the league's parity system and dominate over the next five seasons.

Forgetting about another team?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
cymatica":1ckfzcax said:
From the falcons msg board
The argument that parity makes it even more difficult for a team in this era to have a perfect season is valid, yet the New England Patriots have shown that a team can still become dominant and maintain that elite status over a long period of time if you have all the right pieces.

The Falcons, more so than any other team besides the Patriots, have put the right pieces together on both sides of the ball to overcome the league's parity system and dominate over the next five seasons.

Forgetting about another team?
Right? The last team to beat Brady(the ONLY team last season) and the only team to beat both SB participants in the regular season. Meh...We are coming back with a vengeance. Yes we are!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Falcons loss is way worse.

The Seahawks won the SB the year before and lost a close game. Atlanta hasn't ever won and blew a big lead.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1um4pbzo said:
pittpnthrs":1um4pbzo said:

Went and visited one of the falcon sites. Found this among other posts there....

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic ... n-the-nfl/

ESPN insider with the listing within the string. Just curious about it myself. There was another string that mentioned a few contenders they were concerned with. Us was a tiny bit of a concern.

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic ... 0-in-2017/

Move to NFL Forum if you would like...I just thought I would keep it in this falcons or us thread.

LMAO...they have already given themselves a win on Mon night at our house? Too funny!

mikeak

Reaction score
The interesting thing is both teams lost because of playcalling when it mattered the most. Not going to debate the Seahawks (for the hundredth time). Falcons was way inside field goal range. They needed to run with a two handed grip three times and kick a FG. If it was OT and a FG wins it that is what they do without a doubt. Yet they made three bad decisions back to back to back AND people are not slamming the coaches.... kind of amazing. As much as I blame Bevell what the Falcons did was in a way worse

sdog1981

Reaction score
mikeak":2xedunly said:
The interesting gong is both teams lost because of playcalling when it mattered the most. Not going to debate the Seahawks (for the hundredth time). Falcons was way inside field goal range. They needed to run with a two handed grip three times and kick a FG. If it was OT and a FG wins it that is what they do without a doubt. Yet they made three bad decisions back to back to back AND people are not slamming the coaches.... kind of amazing. As much as I blame Bevell what the Falcons did was in a way worse

Exactly, it was one play vs an entire half of play calls.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Between the Falcons and us it's no contest, the Seahawks are the better team over all, the Patriots took full advantage of our all beat to hell Defense, especially one arm Sherman and the rest of the vaunted Secondary, and even at that, the Seahawks were still in position to win that game, they were moving in for the kill.... It just came down to a SINGLE poorly EXECUTED play.
The "Blame Game" that has followed ever since, is just white noise....Lots of hind-sighted people claiming that they would have known better, and would have done this, or would have opted to do that...Retrospect is a wonderful thing eh?

Since the loss of SB 49, Pete has been working to reestablish the Run Game, as that was his Yin To the Offensive Yang....Right hand working with the left hand...BALLANCE!, ^ BALLANCE!, v BALLANCE! ^ BALLANCE! v
Some of Y'all have to admit that the way the Seahawks have been reloading the chambers on Defense is looking pretty bad ass now. :rumble:
HERE THEY COME AGAIN!!! :stirthepot:

hawk45

Reaction score
This one isn't close for me. We can console ourselves with the ring.

Imagine if, after Percy's TD in the 2nd half v Denver, we would have slow-motion collapsed, becoming a laughingstock *and* throwing away our best chance at a ring. That's the level of collapse we're talking.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
bmorepunk":25chcbtf said:
Falcons loss is way worse.

The Seahawks won the SB the year before and lost a close game. Atlanta hasn't ever won and blew a big lead.

This.

49 hurt...but it couldn't have been as painful as what Falcons fans had to endure. If Seattle had never won before and had given up a huge lead like that, I'd be in some serious pain.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pats are back to back champs largely on crap calls from the opponent. That being said, the Atlanta one was WAY worse. They were in FG range, run it 3 times, make them use timeouts and go up 11. They had the game in hand. Totally different than a miracle play to even get down there by the Hawks. Giving up a 10 point lead, with a banged up secondary and Avril out at the end of the game etc. It doesn't come close to blowing a 25 point lead, let alone the ridiculous playing calling when you're up 8 and in FG range.