McDowell to be reassessed (concussion), return not ruled out

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/916411325663780864[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/916411454055636992[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised. I think many of us suspected it may have been a concussion that was keeping him sidelined. Sadly though, with these types of longer lasting concussions, it's hard to say how long he'll be out or if he'll return at all. Also makes you wonder about his long term future both in and out of football.

Hoping for a full recovery soon, whether he plays or not.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Was wondering when some news would come out. Makes sense that it was a severe head injury. That can definitely take months to heal.
I think how things go with Avril will tell us a lot about whether the team will just red shirt McDowell or bring him back. I'm sure McDowell is anxious to get the timer started on his rookie deal so he'll be chomping at the bit.

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is really interesting. I was just looking into Dion Jordan to see when he'd be eligible to return being on NFI and thinking he could be a boost if Avril will miss much more time. McDowell would be an even bigger boost than Jordan possibly...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
DJrmb":3va16dx9 said:
This is really interesting. I was just looking into Dion Jordan to see when he'd be eligible to return being on NFI and thinking he could be a boost if Avril will miss much more time. McDowell would be an even bigger boost than Jordan possibly...

Well that depends on whether McDowell has even been able to work out while recovering. If not, he won't be even close to game shape.
Bummer news about Jefferson breaking his hand in first practice back. DL rotation was a big potential strength this year and we end up with career threatening injuries to 3 guys and Jefferson potentially on IR if we run into numbers crunch.

massari

Reaction score
Even if ready, just let him rest/recover for the year and bring him back with a full training camp without burning a year off his rookie contract. Play it safe.

chris98251

Reaction score
Even if he came back Monday he would require a month or so to get the defense down, get in football shape and see how fast he picks up things in practice. This is hedging our bets a bit and Pete's optimistic projection.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Has to 10 to 1 against returning this year. He a rookie with no training camp who is likely not doing much of anything fitness wise except maybe riding the bike. Pete likely has to chose his words carefully from a rules and legal perspective.

We should just forget a bout McDowell for 2017. We will be luckeyif he plays in 2018.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":27et4sdd said:
Even if he came back Monday he would require a month or so to get the defense down, get in football shape and see how fast he picks up things in practice. This is hedging our bets a bit and Pete's optimistic projection.
Just happy he will be playing football. Imagine him playing with Richardson? Two inside/out like Calias Campbell type DT's.....? Those type of players are almost as hard to get as franchise quarterbacks or elite LT' s.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":1cyakm3z said:

It’s a significant statement from the silence before where people were left to guess if he was physically or mentally irreparable.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u5z7mpz said:
chris98251":2u5z7mpz said:

It’s a significant statement from the silence before where people were left to guess if he was physically or mentally irreparable.

I would agree, it's something more than nothing.

I'm left wondering why they even released a statement all the sudden after so much silence? Could be a good sign of it's own hopefully.

RussB

Reaction score
This D line is already coming together with richarson. If they can get clark to play some games before the playoffs it could get GOAT level.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So, a quick question - who among you have had a concussion of any kind, and who's had a serious one? I'm trying to decide who to listen to from their own perspective, to compare with my own experience. Not those who have been told about how it is by others. That's just hearsay.

Josea16

Reaction score
RussB":4fkwsozk said:
This D line is already coming together with richarson. If they can get clark to play some games before the playoffs it could get GOAT level.
I think you mean McDowell? Clark is playing and doing well.

Josea16

Reaction score
HawkerD":127pd8h4 said:
Has to 10 to 1 against returning this year. He a rookie with no training camp who is likely not doing much of anything fitness wise except maybe riding the bike. Pete likely has to chose his words carefully from a rules and legal perspective.

We should just forget a bout McDowell for 2017. We will be luckeyif he plays in 2018.
Yeah, Luke Kuechly says different but keep on being negative at every possible chance you have. At least it's predictable and boring.

So it doesn't make me mad at you or put you on ignore. Just expected which is like being on a woman's friends list congratulations.

It's obvious he will play the actual question is will it be this year? Personally I hope we have enough in place this year to sit him healthy or not.

RussB

Reaction score
Josea16":32ytj17k said:
RussB":32ytj17k said:
I think you mean McDowell? Clark is playing and doing well.
Yea meant him lol, just a typo

Mad Dog

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2b60jdxh said:
So, a quick question - who among you have had a concussion of any kind, and who's had a serious one? I'm trying to decide who to listen to from their own perspective, to compare with my own experience. Not those who have been told about how it is by others. That's just hearsay.

I've had a grade 3 concussion as a youth riding a dirt bike. Totally obliterated a helmet so I'd probably be dead now without it.
This was in an era where nothing was known about minor head injuries, so I don't recall have any problems other than being foggy for a couple days.

But I've seen countless patients with concussions and I've learned a few things:
1) recovery is extremely variable from one person to the next
2) self inflicted head injuries heal significantly better than those caused by someone else
3) the more concussions you've had, the more persistent the symptoms become

Latest posts