Seahawks play the worst game in Kingdome November 4, 1979.

i5roadrunner

Reaction score
On November 4, 1979, the Seahawks play the worst game in Kingdome (and National Football League) history.
The whole idea in football is to gain yardage. The teams take turns running or passing the ball toward a goal line and it usually works, at least a little. But not in this game, not for the Seattle Seahawks.
Playing against the Los Angeles Rams in the Kingdome, the Seahawks were stunningly inept. They set a National Football League record for futility that might never be broken. They gained no yards. In fact, they LOST yards. http://www.historylink.org/File/2497

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
i5roadrunner":3idgb2gn said:
On November 4, 1979, the Seahawks play the worst game in Kingdome (and National Football League) history.
The whole idea in football is to gain yardage. The teams take turns running or passing the ball toward a goal line and it usually works, at least a little. But not in this game, not for the Seattle Seahawks.
Playing against the Los Angeles Rams in the Kingdome, the Seahawks were stunningly inept. They set a National Football League record for futility that might never be broken. They gained no yards. In fact, they LOST yards. http://www.historylink.org/File/2497

Glad I was 5 years later.

907Hawk

Reaction score
This was the first Seahawks game I ever attended, was just glad to be at the Dome watching NFL football live, didn't realize how bad the game was until looking at the stats years later.

pmedic920

Reaction score
.Net would explode the Internet if that were to happen nowadays.

Half of our members would burn their fingers trying to type fast enough, the other half would commit suicide.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
907Hawk":39z5147b said:
This was the first Seahawks game I ever attended, was just glad to be at the Dome watching NFL football live, didn't realize how bad the game was until looking at the stats years later.

It was my first game also, but i was aware of what was taking place. By the the middle of the 3rd with the game going nowhere but backwards for us, we cruised the aisles and concords checkin' out chicks. I attended with the boysclub of Rainier Valley.
I went to the Raider game the next year and it was almost as equally bad for us. Those are the only two Seahawk games i've ever attended.
I quit attending for obvious reasons...

You're welcome 12's :irishdrinkers:

sdog1981

Reaction score
pmedic920":133f1a85 said:

Half of our members would burn their fingers trying to type fast enough, the other half would commit suicide.

I don't know man. It was not that bad around here 2008-2011 the team sucked and people were just kind of meh about it. I think the same thing would have happened here.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
There are those of us who can remember the fear we felt with an approaching good team coming into the Kingdome.
Occasionally, the Hawks would "stun" an opponent, but those days were far and few between.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I was also at that game.
As I recall we got our first 1st down in the 3rd qtr on a Zorn to Largent pass.
Golf clap was activated by about 60 fans in attendance.
Stayed `til the end.
Beyond pitiful.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I remember that game.. It was SMH for 60 minutes.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
I too was at attendance for that fateful game. The Seahawks were mercilessly booed leaving the game at the half, during the second half, and leaving after the final.

Jim Zorn was later ask if the boos were disturbing, comming from their home fans.

In Zorn fashion he answered “ No , if I had to watch that game I’d have booed too.”

Always respected him for that, but I nevered booed during that game, so I’ve never had reason to boo any another.

Msfann

Reaction score
I went to a Sonics game at the Key and they scored 58 points total.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2pre30hj said:
LudwigsDrummer":2pre30hj said:
Just look at the stats of that game. This actually happened.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 040sea.htm

Seahawks were favored by 3 in that game too.

Now that surprises me. The Rams were 12 & 4 the year before and went on to lose the Superb owl that year. They were pretty good during that time.

My recollection was we probably won’t win, but at that time our offense was clicking and we had won some improbable games, so there was a chance.

Being favored by anything against the Rams at that time, even in the “Dome of Pain” seems pretty unlikely.

But then I am an old fart and my memory isn’t what it once was.

rjdriver

Reaction score
pmedic920":3fscfeld said:

Actually, (If I remember correctly), there was one positive post by Siouxhawk praising offensive coordinator Jerry Rhome for staying within the system and calling a great game.

"Poor execution by Sherman Smith, Dan Doornick, and Steve Largent foiled an otherwise brilliant gameplan by Jerry and staff. Coach Patera trusts him, so I do as well" was the exact quote I believe, although my memory is not as clear as it was 38 years ago.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
rjdriver":1fnx5dgs said:
pmedic920":1fnx5dgs said:

Actually, (If I remember correctly), there was one positive post by Siouxhawk praising offensive coordinator Jerry Rhome for staying within the system and calling a great game.

"Poor execution by Sherman Smith, Dan Doornick, and Steve Largent foiled an otherwise brilliant gameplan by Jerry and staff. Coach Patera trusts him, so I do as well" was the exact quote I believe, although my memory is not as clear as it was 38 years ago.

You are just "pullin' our chain" aren't you?

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1wu3b56g said:
rjdriver":1wu3b56g said:
pmedic920":1wu3b56g said:

You are just "pullin' our chain" aren't you?

I’m pretty sure that game was before Al Gore invented the internet...

Very well done though.

AgentDib

Reaction score
That may have been the worst game offensively, but the record clearly shows that Superbowl XL was the worst game ever. We had more yards, more first downs, fewer turnovers, better time of possession and Big Ben had a sub 25 QB rating. However, we also had more costly penalties and calls and spent nearly the entire game below 50% win probability.

The second worst game for me was the 2008 Giants debacle. We were coming off a 10-6 season and were hoping we could get back to the playoffs. However, we started the season 1-2 including the OT loss to the 49ers. We had an early bye and headed into NY with an extra week of preparation and a huge amount of urgency. We then proceeded to get shelled 6-44 in a game that was never competitive. Matt hurt his knee right off the bat and Branch was also injured, but the real sign of trouble was the 500+ yards our defense surrendered even though the Giants brought in backups early. We went on to drop 8 of the next 9 games, spelling the end of the Holmgren era.