Playoff chances just increased to 25%

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We need a falcons loss at Carolina, and a win for us vs Cardinals. Figuring each game at 50/50, that gives us a 1 in 4 chance to make the playoffs.

I get the rationale that maybe missing will force Pete's hand to make some changes (playcalling today was some of the worst of the season).

While I can see this logic, no way I can ever root for a loss. I think we will play well enough to win the cards game. What worries me is the Panthers possibly being cautious and not going full tilt against the falcons as they already have a playoff clinch. I myself think they will try as a division win gives them an easier first playoff game (on paper anyway).

Can't really have asked for much better today, still have a chip and a chair.

original poster

Reaction score
Someone raised a valid point.

Falcons game is MNF.

We NEED a Saints loss in the earlier game or they'll likely rest starters.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I mean if we only have a 50% chance of winning vs the cards at home just put us out of our misery now

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think if the above happens (Carolina and Hawks win) then we would play them wildcard weekend, but I am just going off seeding I have read, so I could be wrong

renofox

Reaction score
original poster":3m3ij4n6 said:

Maybe not.
- Resting starters does not have a historically good outcome.
- It is in their interest to eliminate a tough division opponent and allow a weak Seahawks team into the playoffs in their place.

niveky

Reaction score
We can always pray, that as a division opponent, the Panthers will want to destroy them and knock them out of the playoffs. That way they have no chance of playing them again this season. Usually division opponents know you better than anyone else. Would be nice if they played it as a why risk that possibility.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can someone just explain playoff scenarios for the Panthers? I just want to know how much they will be trying next week.

Rat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":229nziv4 said:
Can someone just explain playoff scenarios for the Panthers? I just want to know how much they will be trying next week.

That would get the thread moved to obscurity in the NFL forum, even though it's clearly Seahawks related.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2xzc7ba3 said:

As far as I understand it, if the saints lose the panthers have a chance at the division, if not the have the 5th seed win or lose

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Not hoping for a loss, but with our offense production the Seahawks have no business in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ef8k6b9 said:
Hawk-Lock":1ef8k6b9 said:

As far as I understand it, if the saints lose the panthers have a chance at the division, if not the have the 5th seed win or lose

So they could pull starters early if they see Saints are blowing the Bucs out?

Erebus

Reaction score
original poster":3rth0fae said:

Falcons game is MNF.

Someone gave you false information. Their game is a 1 PM EST start. There are never MNF games on week 17.

Rat

Reaction score
Erebus":14y4quk5 said:
original poster":14y4quk5 said:

Falcons game is MNF.

Someone gave you false information. Their game is a 1 PM EST start. There are never MNF games on week 17.
There is an SNF game though, which hasn't been announced yet. Hopefully they pick a different game.

BamKam

Reaction score
I really hope we get the chance to get slaughtered in the 1st round of playoffs! How AWESOME that would be!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's my understanding the Falcons/Panthers game is 10am PST and will not be flexed to SNF. So all of us fans and the Seahawks themselves will know if they still have a shot - or not - at the playoffs by the 1:25pm PST kickoff.

There's going to be a lot of scoreboard watching from Seahawks Nation for that game Sunday morning.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
If we get in, it will be as the 6th seed. Our first round game would be vs the 3 seed.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We will beat Arizona next week.

I think the Falcons most likely beat the Panthers. I've said it for a while now, but I don't think Atlanta is a very average team, Matt Ryan is having a pretty awful season. Unfortunately, this game is in Atlanta and means a lot more for them than the Panthers. I don't like that Atlanta opened as a 3.5 point favorite, I think that's kind of telling.

I did check a Panthers forum quickly and saw a discussion about whether they should rest starters or not next week. Most of them said no. Most fans think that since the Panthers played so poorly today, that Rivera won't want two weak performances right before the playoffs. I think that as long as New Orleans isn't up by 2 or 3 TD's by the third quarter, the Panthers will play to win the game.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Aros":bj7jc6o8 said:
It's my understanding the Falcons/Panthers game is 10am PST and will not be flexed to SNF. So all of us fans and the Seahawks themselves will know if they still have a shot - or not - at the playoffs by the 1:25pm PST kickoff.

There's going to be a lot of scoreboard watching from Seahawks Nation for that game Sunday morning.

The NFL has announced the schedule for next week, and there is no SNF game.

The Panthers/Atlanta, Saints/Bucs, Hawks/Az, Rams/Niners games plus 5 other games are all now at the same time - 1:25pm PST.

There are 7 early games at 10am and 9 late games at 1:25pm. Updated schedule -

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/REG17