Mike Davis needs the ball more

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Which is exactly why we will be nauseated with bubble screens.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1jzesyxo said:
If the OL shows up this Sunday, then I agree that Mike should run ....but not as often as the Army running backs!

Army's running game is insane. I love watching how synchronized their OL is. It makes me jealous. :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Ya, lets keep pounding it into our current biggest team weakness (run blocking). Lets see, at 3.3 YPC that would net us on average exactly 0 first downs if we run the ball every down (unless you want to run on 4th down).

That is a certain formula to stall the offense and lose more (given our current oline), so if that is the goal, by all means lets run more.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Giphy

In addition to the outside zone run, the guy has good hands and is very nifty and hard to tackle in space.

Bevell would be wise to try a pitch play to Davis. That's a wrinkle of creativity that we haven't seen from this offense in forever.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":25jy38gq said:
Ya, lets keep pounding it into our current biggest team weakness (run blocking). Lets see, at 3.3 YPC that would net us on average exactly 0 first downs if we run the ball every down (unless you want to run on 4th down).

That is a certain formula to stall the offense and lose more (given our current oline), so if that is the goal, by all means lets run more.

That's a very small sample size. It would helpful to see what Davis and the OL could accomplish with 20 carries. Wear down the defense, kill them with play action, and make things easier for Russell.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3pm195vo said:
Giphy

In addition to the outside zone run, the guy has good hands and is very nifty and hard to tackle in space.

Bevell would be wise to try a pitch play to Davis. That's a wrinkle of creativity that we haven't seen from this offense in forever.

I think a back like Davis would wreck house in a hard hitting power offense. Some hard hitting 3/4 gap plays with pulling linemen. Hard hitting smash mouth football, then quick play-action passes. Keep the Seahawks defense off of the field, long sustained drives and wear them down.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":32fehmpj said:
hawknation2017":32fehmpj said:

I think a back like Davis would wreck house in a hard hitting power offense. Some hard hitting 3/4 gap plays with pulling linemen. Hard hitting smash mouth football, then quick play-action passes. Keep the Seahawks defense off of the field, long sustained drives and wear them down.

I agree. Too bad for us that is not the scheme (or oline players) we run. Look at what happens on 3rd or 4th and short when teams know we are going to run. We get stuffed in the backfield again and again. With a power blocking oline, and the right players to pull it off, yes it sure as heck would work well.

Why not us?

Tom Cable would be the answer to that.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He honestly reminds me of Edgerrin sometimes. I concur with those that say he'd be better in a simpler, man-on-man blocking scheme.

Well executed, the zone scheme is supposed to result in more chunk plays. It hasn't seemed to since . . . 2014 or so on this team.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
nanomoz":28s4kacy said:
He honestly reminds me of Edgerrin sometimes. I concur with those that say he'd be better in a simpler, man-on-man blocking scheme.

Well executed, the zone scheme is supposed to result in more chunk plays. It hasn't seemed to since . . . 2014 or so on this team.

Yup, there was an article a year or two ago about how Seattle's O-line tips off the play before the snap. VERY common with young ZBS players since it is all about speed and athleticism instead of power.

*edited to add link

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/01/seahawks-tipping-plays.html

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
More screen passes please, let this guy get one on one, he has damn good moves out there. But that would involve Bevell actually knowing how you use his damn players on offense :roll: