9/7 vs 12/4 all on the kicker

Rainger

Reaction score
This season was the season the FO lost a season because they wanted to save money on the past kicker and went with one who chokes (Playoff game against Seattle).

3 Games were lost because of Blair Walsh (and horrendous long developing play calling by Bevell) ( and horrendous Oline development from Cable). However Seattle would have been 12 and 4 with even a 1/2 way kicker!!!

All you guys can blame Pete and I do to an extent , but they should never have rested the season on a terrible kicker who never got it back after the Playoff loss.

My 2 cents

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I suspect with a good kicker, they might have found other ways to lose.

The kicker was a problem, but it was the mentality that brought the kicker in and continued to give him chances - that was the root of the issue.

Optimus25

Reaction score
You know hauschka missed a 19 yarder or something ridiculous like that last year that would helped our playoff seeding?. And it was the same cardinals.

And o btw, he also missed a clutch 50 yarder last week for his new team.

DrDix

Reaction score
Nope. One player is not responsible for this team having an average record or great record. It's that simple. There were so many different factors that contributed along with Walsh that amounted to this record. The defense didn't get stops when we needed it (Redskins & today's game) and the offense spotted points in a game they especially could not afford to (Falcons game). This doesn't mention how the offense was once again terrible the entire year, injuries to key players, and coaching was questionable at best and terrible at worst.

These all played factors. It is a team game. One player is not the reason they lost any single game.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
The kicker was not this team's problem - he was merely a reflection of the overall mediocrity.

From coaching on down, the team was a shambles.

Thank god for RW or we would not have broken .500

WmHBonney

Reaction score
DrDix":t5nt8gs5 said:
Nope. One player is not responsible for this team having an average record or great record. It's that simple. There were so many different factors that contributed along with Walsh that amounted to this record. The defense didn't get stops when we needed it (Redskins & today's game) and the offense spotted points in a game they especially could noy afford to (Falcons game). This doesn't mention how the offense was once again terrible the entire year, injuries to key players, and coaching was questionable at best and terrible at worst.

These all played factors. It is a team game. One player is not the reason they lost any single game.

Nailed it.

WarHawks

Reaction score
One player is not the reason they lost any single game

And yet, if he had made the fg, we would have won, rendering your point moot at face value.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
I agree. With a really good kicker, this team is 11-5, warts and all. Do they make the Super Bowl? No, but they make the playoffs.

DrDix

Reaction score
WarHawks":abg4mdye said:
One player is not the reason they lost any single game

And yet, if he had made the fg, we would have won, rendering your point moot at face value.

And yet, if the defense earlier in the game stopped the cards while they had the lead they would have won, rendering my point completely valid.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Walsh on his own missed field goals that would had allowed us to win in 3 games that I can think of. I know this is a team game but there is nothing worse than having to rely on a victory with a kicker. We came back in so many games only to have defeat grabbed from the jaws of victory. I watched the O line at the game. I concentrated on them solely to make sure I was not missing something. On most of the plays we were getting blown off the line.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":2xvpb6fz said:
With a really good kicker, this team is 11-5, warts and all. Do they make the Super Bowl? No, but they make the playoffs.

This is all on Pete. His philosophy (for many years) has been you don't want to spend a lot of resources on a kicker, because the outcome of a game should rarely come down to one final kick.

The reality is it sometimes does.

randomation

Reaction score
It's really not. A lot of it is on our conservative play-calling of which I bet a lot is on Pete. Compare what we do in the fourth when we actually open up the playbook to the vomit worthy playcalling in the first half.

Latest posts