Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Wait, are we desiring to be Philly now? I thought the mold was the Patriots. Or maybe the Rams.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    I don’t think you can ever place to much importance on one game for comparison purposes. I believe UW was a far superior team to ASU this season, yet ASU made UW look like a bottom feeder. The Rams may be a better team than the Hawks at this point in time, but definitely not 42-7 better. Seems like most good teams have a game like that every year. This year the Eagles had theirs against the Hawks.

Very true, but the Hawks pounding the Eagles, and Eagles beating the Pats just shows us what a parity league the NFL is............and why things like scheme, playcalling, coaching, preparation and execution is usually what decide games..........and not so much the talent disparity on the field.

It's literally how the Patriots have remained on top for 15 years, and also why the Eagles won last night. Great coaching, preparation and executed more clutch plays than the Patriots.

All very good points.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

• A Run Game
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• They made a "football move".
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

• This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• ivotuk wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

Hmm? I mentioned their offensive line not DL :D though their DL is quite good and deep. I really thought they would have had a much better showing and ultimately be the reason if the Eagles did win, but they were all missing. Being good in the trenches is so important in the NFL today.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Yes I thought the Eagles won in spite of their defense. I thought defense wins championships? Not yesterday. Clearly Foles and the offense (and great play calling) won them their first championship. The Pats OL looked like men among boys all day long. I so badly want Russ to have that kind of line!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• The biggest difference? Probably the guy calling the plays. They also have a lot of young guys fighting hard to prove themselves and make their names. Now everybody will want to be paid and they will lose much of their depth.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:Big reliable #1 reciever and a deadly run game.

Good point re: receiver. Someone mentioned that if Foles had a bad game it would be another NE SB win, but I don't think the receivers and TE are getting enough credit. Especially the WR's, who made some great (clutch) catches.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Yes I thought the Eagles won in spite of their defense. I thought defense wins championships? Not yesterday. Clearly Foles and the offense (and great play calling) won them their first championship. The Pats OL looked like men among boys all day long. I so badly want Russ to have that kind of line!

And what's crazy is, Pats o-line really isn't that 'talented' either. I put far more stock into coaching and scheme fit than their actual ability, especially how they can just plug and play. Brady looked like a different QB when their OL coach retired, he un-retires and suddenly Brady has 5 seconds to throw every pass again.

Russ will never be conventional and certainly has a tendency to sack himself sometimes, but both QB's had so much time to just stand in a U-shaped pocket and scan the field. It didn't matter what coverage was called, someone eventually was open. Just give him a lite version of that and I'll be happy.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I thought the same thing. I didn't think so much it was the raw talent on their OL as much as it was PROPER coaching and technique. Cable, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• ivotuk wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

I would disagree with that. They pressured Brady and put 9 hits on him. Yes, sacks was just 1, but the pressure caused a few missed targets and Brady knew if he did not get rid of it quickly he would pay, and that was enough with Philly's offense to get the job done.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Hmm? I mentioned their offensive line not DL :D though their DL is quite good and deep. I really thought they would have had a much better showing and ultimately be the reason if the Eagles did win, but they were all missing. Being good in the trenches is so important in the NFL today.

Doh! Disregard me and my antique brain :p

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• They played without making a lot of unforced errors.

Thus I'd say they were better coached in terms of their fundamentals than the Hawks were. A statistical examination will show Phiily made far fewer pre snap errors and took far fewer penalties than Seattle. In short they don't sabotage their chances by dumb play..
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I actually thought the Seahawks and Falcons might have been too aggressive. The Hawks started throwing up deep bombs in the 4th even before Brady took the lead and the Falcons definitely could have won if they kneeled three times and kicked a FG, but chose to pass and get knocked out of FG range.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote: Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Very, very few coaches would. If you don't convert there you're giving NE the ball basically in FG range already. If NE takes over and scores and you end up losing the game? You are absolutely getting crucified. Especially in Philly.

It's great for them that it worked out, but the backlash would be brutal if it hadn't.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

I would disagree with that. They pressured Brady and put 9 hits on him. Yes, sacks was just 1, but the pressure caused a few missed targets and Brady knew if he did not get rid of it quickly he would pay, and that was enough with Philly's offense to get the job done.

Missed targets, but Brady put up 500 yards. The pressure didn’t really impact the game until they could give up playing the run
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Missed targets, but Brady put up 500 yards. The pressure didn’t really impact the game until they could give up playing the run

The comment I posted to was "they didn't show up until 2:14 left", that is what I disagreed with and 9 hits is the evidence. I contend the back side did less of their job than the front D line IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• they put up 500 yards and scored at will until 2:14.

Somebody didn’t have a good game. I thought Brady had tons of time even with the hits. His targets were wide open and deep down the field.

Either way... I thought the Eagles would win but I thought it would look a lot like the Panthers-Broncos game. Last night was shocking
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Isn't that football in a nutshell though and part of what keeps us coming back? That one moment among 70 plays where it changes the outcome?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Chemistry, depth, and luck.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

• 1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

2. A running game to compliment the air attack.

3. Luck and a bit of an easier schedule too
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• At the end of the day, as fans we should always remember the immortal words of Mack Strong:

"It's very hard to win games in this league."

We take wins for granted. We really do. Fact is, there's professional athletes on the opposite side of the Seahawks quite capable of winning the game. There are advantages to help you win. Scheme, play calling, execution and oh yes, don't forget about luck.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:At the end of the day, as fans we should always remember the immortal words of Mack Strong:

"It's very hard to win games in this league."

We take wins for granted. We really do. Fact is, there's professional athletes on the opposite side of the Seahawks quite capable of winning the game. There are advantages to help you win. Scheme, play calling, execution and oh yes, don't forget about luck.

:ditto: You gotta have a little luck.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Good coaching
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:Really creative Offense that relentlessly attacked the Patriots all day.

This right here
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

• hawkfan1975 wrote:1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

Ill add to number 3

Getting lucky to win the tiebreaker for the number 1 seed over the Vikings. They both had 13 wins, but the Vikings lost the tiebreaker because they lost in Carolina, which IMO is total bullshit as the Vikings strength of victory was higher and Philly had 6 easiest schedule when it was all said and done.

Vikings had to play Panthers on the road, the third road game in a row following @Lions and @Falcons. The three games before THAT were in London, @Washington and then Rams at home. So it was basically the 5th road game in a 6 game stretch

For common games

Redskins- Vikings played away (1-0), Eagles played both away and home (2-0)
    Bears- Vikings played away and home (2-0) Eagles played at home against Bears (1-0)
    Rams- Vikings played at home (1-0), Eagles played away (1-0)
    Panthers Vikings played away (0-1), Eagles played away (1-0)

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves. The Steelers game was Keenums first start with basically no practice time during the week. Lions game Cook got injured and fumbled the ball which lead to a TD which were the only points scored for Lions after that happened.

Eagles lost to @Chiefs, @Seahawks, and Cowboys. 10 win team, 9 win team and 9 win team.
    Last edited by WilsonMVP on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• WilsonMVP wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

Ill add to number 3

Getting lucky to win the tiebreaker for the number 1 seed over the Vikings. They both had 13 wins, but the Vikings lost the tiebreaker because they lost in Carolina, which IMO is total bullshit as the Vikings strength of victory was higher and Philly had 6 easiest schedule when it was all said and done.

Vikings had to play Panthers on the road, the third road game in a row following @Lions and @Falcons. The three games before THAT were in London, @Washington and then Rams at home. So it was basically the 5th road game in a 6 game stretch

For common games

Bears- Vikings played away and home (2-0) Eagles played at home against Bears (1-0)

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves

Eagles lost to @Chiefs, @Seahawks, and Cowboys. 10 win team, 9 win team and 9 win team.

This is entirely a fan argument. Like, nothing in the DNA of NFL players and coaches looks at this and goes "uh huh - there's yer smoking gun"
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

Ill add to number 3

For common games

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves

This is entirely a fan argument. Like, nothing in the DNA of NFL players and coaches looks at this and goes "uh huh - there's yer smoking gun"

I fully believe if they were 2nd seed they do not get into the Superbowl which is why HFA is important. They did have an easy schedule. It was the 6th easiest schedule in the entire league. 9-0 against teams who finished .500 or worse. Pats had 10th easiest schedule. Vikings played 6 games against the #3-#7 teams in the NFC

But anyway that along with getting a few key FA maxing the cap and having a good OL. Foles was able to do what he did because he had plenty of time in the Pocket. Right now the Eagles are 2nd worst in cap space with 9 million over the cap going into 2018. No doubt they will have to cut people or will be up against the cap for a few years. It will be interesting how the Foles situation plays out because Wentz had a pretty major injury very late in the year and def wont be 100 percent coming back this upcoming year IMO.

Their schedule IMO is pretty brutal this upcoming year although they do get a few of the better teams at home......hmm

Falcons, Panthers, Texans(with healthy Watson could be good), Colts (if Luck is healthy), Vikings and cowboys with Zeke back at home

Away isnt too bad. London against the Jags, Rams, Saints, Titans

They have to play 7 games against teams that made the playoffs this year so we will see

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• All good answers but you guys missed the most important one.

The Eagles were way healthier than we were.

Add up all the injuries we had. All the guys on IR. When you look at that, and add in static coaching (no changes at all really), lack of discpline, self inflicted mistakes and the Cable factor, it was insurmountable.

I also think that lack of accountability with the coaching staff (Always Compete for the players not the coaches) and the message started getting lost on the players.

Our guys need to buy in again. Once they start having fun and buying in, they'll win more. We still have a very talented squad.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• A playoff berth?
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Doug Pederson is making me really worry about the Seahawks now. The NFC just got even more stacked. This guy can coach. I don't see Seattle being as creative as philly. I don't see seattle making adjustments like philly can. Yes I know Seahawks beat them but long term I don't see Schottenheimer dialing up play calls like Pederson can. Pressure is on Norton to keep the defense a top 10 defense because i don't see Seattle winning high scoring games. I just don't. We need better blocking tight ends, another reciever, and of course a better O-line. Seattle needs to ace this upcoming draft. I'm actually liking the RB situation as of now... Chris Carson + Mike Davis.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:All good answers but you guys missed the most important one.

The Eagles were way healthier than we were.

Add up all the injuries we had. All the guys on IR. When you look at that, and add in static coaching (no changes at all really), lack of discpline, self inflicted mistakes and the Cable factor, it was insurmountable.

I also think that lack of accountability with the coaching staff (Always Compete for the players not the coaches) and the message started getting lost on the players.

Our guys need to buy in again. Once they start having fun and buying in, they'll win more. We still have a very talented squad.

But when you lose a Starting QB in the NFL you can't win games!

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Chapow wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote: Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Very, very few coaches would. If you don't convert there you're giving NE the ball basically in FG range already. If NE takes over and scores and you end up losing the game? You are absolutely getting crucified. Especially in Philly.

It's great for them that it worked out, but the backlash would be brutal if it hadn't.

Aggressive coaching if it works
    Getting 'too cute' if it doesn't

Just the way it works.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• All valid points but the conspiracy theorist in me also believes that we would have been whistled for pi twice on Brady’s last drive and probably would have added a couple off sides and player control type flags to keep patriot drives alive. On offense our line would some how manage to jump the snap, hold a defender who is out of the play while allowing two free rushers a straight path to our QB.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:All valid points but the conspiracy theorist in me also believes that we would have been whistled for pi twice on Brady’s last drive and probably would have added a couple off sides and player control type flags to keep patriot drives alive. On offense our line would some how manage to jump the snap, hold a defender who is out of the play while allowing two free rushers a straight path to our QB.

Feeling good about next season then :mrgreen:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:All valid points but the conspiracy theorist in me also believes that we would have been whistled for pi twice on Brady’s last drive and probably would have added a couple off sides and player control type flags to keep patriot drives alive. On offense our line would some how manage to jump the snap, hold a defender who is out of the play while allowing two free rushers a straight path to our QB.

Feeling good about next season then :mrgreen:

Right on Original.

And, not that your conspiracy theory ever happened to us. Not that our SB vs. Pittsburg every had any of those things happening regarding the refs not only questionalbe calls but questionable timing. The only reason I don't think it happened to Philly is the world was watching and fed up. Goodall probably called them and said they needed to let Philly win as public opinion was starting to turn against the NFL and certainly the Patriots winning another trophy. The evidence of that is both questionable plays went Philly's way where very few went Seattle's way this past year.

I guess you are right that Philly had the refs on their side where Seattle never did the whole season.
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Couldn't agree more about the "getting cute" thing. Bevell did that on the regular, especially in the red zone. The Eagles were flat out aggressive and not afraid the entire game. Impressive.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• A QB who isn't afraid to go through his progressions and stay in the pocket.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• The #1 seed helped them and this is why the games early in the season matter. You start slow and you lose HFA.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• A qb who doesn't have to run for his life as soon as the ball is snapped.

Disciplined players who aren't committing offside or holding penalties every other play

A kicker who is both good and cheap

Execution at all levels, and brass big ones when the game is on the line.
    "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not." - Yoda
    WarHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• bmorepunk wrote:Wait, are we desiring to be Philly now? I thought the mold was the Patriots. Or maybe the Rams.

I think the line of thought here is: How come they were able to go all the way while we were stuck here at home watching Philly achieve greatness.

Philly is an odd case. They were able to go all the way with a backup QB, that doesn't happen everyday. Usually if your starter goes down, the team will not make it very far.

The biggest difference is the coaching in my opinion, specifically on offense, and of course line play. They could run the ball we couldn't. The area that Philly's staff really out shined our staff, including Pete Carroll is adaptability. They took a look at what their players could do, and crafted a system/plan around their players strengths. In Seattle I always got the impression that we try to slam a square peg into a round hole. A good example of this is Jimmy Graham. Not a player that demonstrated blocking prowess, yet we relied on him to be an inline blocker.

An example of something Philly did is they looked at Nick Foles strengths and what exactly he did when he went on his tear way back in 2013. They changed their offense entirely to fit Foles strengths and mask his weaknesses. This is not something our coaching staff has shown that they are unwilling to do, at least under Cable and Bevell. I don't expect much of a change under Schottenheimer here either. Another example is refusing to deviate from the Zone blocking scheme when our players were clearly playing better under a more man to man system. Again, square peg, round hole.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• One coach for the offense! The stupidity of the two headed monster we had with tc and db cannot be overstated.
    Sterlinghawk
    NET Rookie

• Hey Rcates, what do you suggest behind this line? Let me guess, it's all Russ' fault? :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:A QB who isn't afraid to go through his progressions and stay in the pocket.

It helps when there is a pocket to be in. Foles had all day on most of his pass attempts

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• droop828 wrote:A weak schedule that allowed them to get HFA. Then played the 6 seed at home. Then got a Vikings team that had just gotten one of the most improbable wins in NFL history and obviously weren’t ready to play. Then the weakest version of NE that we’ve seen in a decade. There’s a reason we beat them good as we always do.

Everything Droop said.
    SoCalSeahawk
    NET Starter

• A losing schedule from the previous season. Let’s see how they do in 2018.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• Philly plays 4 quarters the way we play the 4th quarter.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• An actual OC who gets it, and an actual O Line.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information