We are Al Davis's Raiders

seabowl

Reaction score
It seems almost every year now that JS/PC make their pick in the first round and we are left either scratching our heads or quickly trying to find who this player was that they just picked because he is nowhere to be found on any first round grade board. At the end of the day it's about results but of late this methodology has not seemed to work. In addition it seems like we get rooked on almost any trade we make. It reminds me of when Al Davis was around and made these "who" picks just to see the reaction of the league and try to show everyone that they are smarter then anyone else.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Seahawks haven't picked in the first round since 2013, I believe. Stop being disingenuous and just state that you are upset because you know better and the Hawks didn't pick who you wanted.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We picked Germain Ifedi in the first round in 2016.

Al Davis Raiders were pretty successful for many years from what I recall.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
seabowl":187px1sv said:
It seems almost every year now that JS/PC make their pick in the first round and we are left either scratching our heads or quickly trying to find who this player was that they just picked because he is nowhere to be found on any first round grade board. At the end of the day it's about results but of late this methodology has not seemed to work. In addition it seems like we get rooked on almost any trade we make. It reminds me of when Al Davis was around and made these "who" picks just to see the reaction of the league and try to show everyone that they are smarter then anyone else.

As the poster above stated, not sure how you consider the guy who led the nation in rushing as a "who". Would you have preferred Guice or Michel who both have legitimate knee concerns? We were terrible at rushing with backs who were constantly injured or caught a bad break, as well as needing help on the Oline. Not sure if they're done, but so far they have attempted to address those issues through free agency and the draft. What's not to like?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Not even close to being the "Al Davis Raiders". Come on, man! This team has never drafted a kicks in the first round. They've never drafted a similar player to Heyward-Bey in the first round. They've never drafted a Jamarcus Russell in the first round.

Penny is a legitimate RB. He fills probably the biggest need in the team had going into the draft. Carson is nice, but can you really count on him?

Personally, Penny was the top RB on my list in terms of how this team is looking to utilize a RB. We know their philosophy, and he first that to the tee.

getnasty

Reaction score
We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":2quhdgh5 said:
We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.

Im wondering if the offers to trade down did not include a high enough 2nd round pick to ensure they got Penny... and with NE taking a RB they may have thought Penny wouldnt last through Round 1.

I see alot of people lamenting they couldve got Penny later (unknown) and moreso couldve waited to take another RB while grabbing an olineman or CB.

But what if Penny was THE guy they wanted? Why risk grabbing an olineman and settling for another RB they didnt really want?

Isn't that type of decisiveness something we would want from them?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3kr0oag8 said:
I agree we could have traded down once more to get him .

You willing to bet your house on that with fact someone asked to trade for him and the reports that the Browns had targetted him at 33?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3enflxqm said:
getnasty":3enflxqm said:

You willing to bet your house on that with fact someone asked to trade for him and the reports that the Browns had targetted him at 33?

Why does it have to be his house? JS and PC are the ones that made the call

getnasty

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3szg7rqu said:
getnasty":3szg7rqu said:

You never know when someone is gonna get picked so no but I'm willing to bet if we could have traded back into the early 2nd and pick up another pick we would have.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qlwtekw said:
getnasty":1qlwtekw said:

Im wondering if the offers to trade down did not include a high enough 2nd round pick to ensure they got Penny... and with NE taking a RB they may have thought Penny wouldnt last through Round 1.

I see alot of people lamenting they couldve got Penny later (unknown) and moreso couldve waited to take another RB while grabbing an olineman or CB.

But what if Penny was THE guy they wanted? Why risk grabbing an olineman and settling for another RB they didnt really want?

Exactly!. I think they got the guy they wanted. I know very little about him, but if they got who they want, plus 2 more picks, I think we did well in round 1. Now weather he proves to be who they think he is, only time will tell. He does seem to fit the mold of what Pete wants at RB to me.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Someone was clearly not alive during the Al Davis years wrote this. Al Davis would draft fast guys, every team in the league would know who the Davis raiders were going to draft after the 40-yard dash at the combine. Davis did not care that Darrius Heyward-Bey could not catch he only cared that he was sub 4.4 WR.

chris98251

Reaction score
Al Davis also won a few Super Bowls, make fun all you want but his teams kicked the crap out of the rest of the league for a long time.

endzorn

Reaction score
How many teams have a worse track record in the draft in the last five years? This is another illustration of how bad Schneider has become at the draft. We just drafted a rotational player for a roster riddled with holes. I don’t mind Penny, but I hate that Schneider and Carroll don’t give a damn about value anymore. This kid will have to be a far more productive player than the backs drafted tonight for this pick to make even remote sense.

They trade picks for veterans who aren’t worth their salt and when they do use picks they fall in love with one player and overdraft him. Ruskell hit on as many picks as Schneider has in the last five years. That’s the truth.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, Schneider's had a rough few years, so what? What does that have to do with Penny at #27?
Harvin, Graham, and Brown. Those bonehead trades of valuable picks killed our drafts as much as anything, tempted us to reach for million-dollar physical talents with dollar store brains, Christine Michael and now Malik McDowell, anyone?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seymour":pxjp3mug said:
Uncle Si":pxjp3mug said:
getnasty":pxjp3mug said:

Exactly!. I think they got the guy they wanted. I know very little about him, but if they got who they want, plus 2 more picks, I think we did well in round 1. Now weather he proves to be who they think he is, only time will tell. He does seem to fit the mold of what Pete wants at RB to me.
One thing I have learned from watching the NFL Draft, every player picked is "the guy they wanted" no matter the team and no matter the circumstance. It's written in stone. No one outside the War Room will ever be able to claim they know any different.
Otherwise, I'm sure someone from the Chargers organization would have said, 'we were really hoping that the Colts would have taken Leaf so Manning could drop to us'.

Latest posts