Damned if they do, damned if they dont

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
So they trade down and pick up a 3rd while trading a 7 for a 6. They then use the newly acquired 1st to pick up a RB, which no one should argue is a huge need. Then we see numerous posts bitching about not trading down again. I guarantee if they had not traded the 18 and picked Penney we would see bitching about not trading down at all.

Prior to the draft I have seen complaints about any possible trade downs because they just need to make a pick in the first round. They traded down. They gained an additional pick. They chose a player at a position of need.

Damned if they do. Damned if they don’t...

kidhawk

Reaction score
One thing that is fairly universal when it comes to the draft is that fans (no matter the team) invest emotionally in certain players or positions, and when their team doesn't select that player, or the player that is highest rated at the position by the "experts", fans will moan and complain about it.

Personally, I like to give them a chance and see what they can do.

I've read and seen many reports that we should have gotten a DB, but then I read where we re-signed Maxwell to help ease that need.

I'm sure that Pete and John have a plan to fill the needs that we have, and I'm willing to wait to see how it comes together in August.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I wanted them to trade down and didn't want them to take an RB early and it looks like a few others here and many on other sites agree.

kidhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":s2caluvy said:
I wanted them to trade down and didn't want them to take an RB early and it looks like a few others here and many on other sites agree.

A lot of sites agreed that we had an awful draft in 2013 as well.

Rat

Reaction score
Edit: I was probably more brash than necessary with my original comment. There are a million fans on this site, there will naturally be disagreement on everything.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
adeltaY":3h5zl4yh said:

It doesn’t matter one iota whether we fans agree or disagree on a pick.

What we as fans want doesn’t matter. We aren’t the ones paid to make the decisions. That’s why mock drafts are a bit dangerous to follow so closely. They are based on the opinions of people who either don’t have a job in the NFL or can’t get one. Also, if you really look closely at most mock drafts there isn’t a lot of deviation from one to another. Not everyone is exactly the same but there are similarities between lots of them. My guess is that a lot of mocks are just a compilation of other mocks with no real player evaluation taking place. The people making mocks don’t have the access or insights to the potential draftees like the actual NFL personnel. This in itself makes their analysis and ranking of potential draftees questionable based on the glaring lack of depth in their knowledge.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1fv2t0it said:
So they trade down and pick up a 3rd while trading a 7 for a 6. They then use the newly acquired 1st to pick up a RB, which no one should argue is a huge need.

Do you mean no one should argue that RB was not a huge need? Because if you're saying RB wasn't a huge need you must have been in a coma last season when our leading rusher was Mike Davis with a scorching 240 yards.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
i love the Penny pick. I get that some folks think we reached a little because they spent alot of time reading mocks and listening to talking heads. But I trust the two men who brought a Lombardi to Seattle.

What excites me most is Seattle has recently tried to mine for diamonds in the rough at the RB positoin. If they think Penny is worthy of a 1st rounder....that makes me VERY excited!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kidhawk":2uqo4dpo said:
adeltaY":2uqo4dpo said:

But....... our 2013 draft was awful. The last really good draft this team has had was in 2012.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18dlbj7o said:
oldhawkfan":18dlbj7o said:
So they trade down and pick up a 3rd while trading a 7 for a 6. They then use the newly acquired 1st to pick up a RB, which no one should argue is a huge need.

Do you mean no one should argue that RB was not a huge need? Because if you're saying RB wasn't a huge need you must have been in a coma last season when our leading rusher was Mike Davis with a scorching 240 yards.

Seems clear to me. They were one injury away from seeing if Curt Warner would suit up for a game.

The Breh

Reaction score
I've learned to wait to see how a player plays for US before making any judgment.
Last year I knew nothing of Shaq or the GOAT Nas Jones.
This year all I knew about Penny was his name sparsely between the other big name backs. but nothing more.
Now I know he led CFB in rushing, can catch and return kicks.
I also know he came from SDSU in a non-major conference where competition isn't as steep but so did Marshall Faulk.
And so did top 10 pick Allen who's been highly criticized for his lack of accuracy but that didn't matter.

All in all-what we knew previously matters jack shit till September comes.
I reserve my opinion till game time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Rams, Cards and 49ers just peed a little, if he can be a Lynch 2.0, Curtis Martin 2.0 or a Faulk 2.0 we will have a pretty impressive division of Running Backs with Johnson in Zona, Todd Gurley in L.A.. The 49ers now have to make a move to counter the rest with a every down type guy.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":pc34ri2i said:
oldhawkfan":pc34ri2i said:

You must have been in a coma if you think Davis, Carson, and Mckissic were the root cause of our poor running game. Our poor running game was a direct result of really bad line play. Our line got no push, and was bullied at the line of scrimmage. We consistently got beat in our assignments, and we consistently had defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. We have that same offensive line plus a journeyman in Fluker, and an unproven Fant. Penny is going to have the same struggles that our current stable of running backs had unless that line play is addressed.

It just so happens that several quality offensive lineman were available at 18. We passed on them for a running back, a position mind you that is quite possibly one of the deepest in this NFL draft. Offensive line on the other hand has a steep drop off after the top prospects are off of the board.

Let me reiterate this, it wouldn't matter if our RB stable consisted of a in their prime Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc -- they would still have troubles behind our offensive line in its current state of affairs. We have to do something here, I'm not convinced Penny is going to magically fix poor line play. That is why most people are upset with this pick.

adeltaY

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":s65uc5o8 said:
adeltaY":s65uc5o8 said:

What we as fans want doesn’t matter. We aren’t the ones paid to make the decisions. That’s why mock drafts are a bit dangerous to follow so closely. They are based on the opinions of people who either don’t have a job in the NFL or can’t get one. Also, if you really look closely at most mock drafts there isn’t a lot of deviation from one to another. Not everyone is exactly the same but there are similarities between lots of them. My guess is that a lot of mocks are just a compilation of other mocks with no real player evaluation taking place. The people making mocks don’t have the access or insights to the potential draftees like the actual NFL personnel. This in itself makes their analysis and ranking of potential draftees questionable based on the glaring lack of depth in their knowledge.

Wasn't even remotely thinking of mocks, was talking about seahawks fans on other sites. All I'm saying is there were needs at other more important positions we could've filled with that pick.

To your first point, duh. Nothing said on this forum or any other matters. We are all here to discuss our opinions solely for our own intellectual stimulation and sense of community. No one is under any delusions that his or her opinion is swaying the team or even heard by them.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":nuutslqk said:
kidhawk":nuutslqk said:
adeltaY":nuutslqk said:

But....... our 2013 draft was awful. The last really good draft this team has had was in 2012.

Even if he meant 2012, that line of thinking is very reductive. Just because we had a draft the media thought was bad turn out to be amazing does not mean a pick being panned now will turn out to be good.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3i2xuu1n said:
kidhawk":3i2xuu1n said:
adeltaY":3i2xuu1n said:

Hey now! Awful?
2013 netted us Luke Willson and the Chiefs Spencer Ware.

OK, maybe awful.

justafan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":32s4epum said:
Hasselbeck":32s4epum said:
oldhawkfan":32s4epum said:

You must have been in a coma if you think Davis, Carson, and Mckissic were the root cause of our poor running game. Our poor running game was a direct result of really bad line play. Our line got no push, and was bullied at the line of scrimmage. We consistently got beat in our assignments, and we consistently had defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. We have that same offensive line plus a journeyman in Fluker, and an unproven Fant. Penny is going to have the same struggles that our current stable of running backs had unless that line play is addressed.

It just so happens that several quality offensive lineman were available at 18. We passed on them for a running back, a position mind you that is quite possibly one of the deepest in this NFL draft. Offensive line on the other hand has a steep drop off after the top prospects are off of the board.

Let me reiterate this, it wouldn't matter if our RB stable consisted of a in their prime Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc -- they would still have troubles behind our offensive line in its current state of affairs. We have to do something here, I'm not convinced Penny is going to magically fix poor line play. That is why most people are upset with this pick.

If you have those 3 in your backfield you are dumpster diving and need a huge investment in your backfield.I wouldnt mind seeing them grab another back.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
adeltaY":2qknggj8 said:
oldhawkfan":2qknggj8 said:
adeltaY":2qknggj8 said:

Wasn't even remotely thinking of mocks, was talking about seahawks fans on other sites. All I'm saying is there were needs at other more important positions we could've filled with that pick.

To your first point, duh. Nothing said on this forum or any other matters. We are all here to discuss our opinions solely for our own intellectual stimulation and sense of community. No one is under any delusions that his or her opinion is swaying the team or even heard by them.

You might not have said anything about mocks but my take is that many of the opinions that fans generate are based on mock drafts.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
justafan":1wzyrbg8 said:
Spin Doctor":1wzyrbg8 said:
Hasselbeck":1wzyrbg8 said:
oldhawkfan":1wzyrbg8 said:

If you have those 3 in your backfield you are dumpster diving and need a huge investment in your backfield.I wouldnt mind seeing them grab another back.

It’s kind of a chicken/egg kind of thing. Was the running game bad because of the o line? Yes. Was the running game bad because of a lack of talent at the RB position? Yes. They addressed one part of the problem after spending some high draft capital on the line the last few years. I’m optimistic that with new coaching and a bit of experience the line has to be better.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":1xs9w4lv said:
Hasselbeck":1xs9w4lv said:
kidhawk":1xs9w4lv said:
adeltaY":1xs9w4lv said:

Even if he meant 2012, that line of thinking is very reductive. Just because we had a draft the media thought was bad turn out to be amazing does not mean a pick being panned now will turn out to be good.
Quite true, but on the flips side, not you, nor anyone else here on .NET that's ragging on the Rashaad Penny pick won't be a fantastic pick either.
Grading low on a pick in ANY Draft is foolhardy.