Will TEs play FB too?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Not sure if they did this in Games 1 & 2, but I noticed our TEs line up in the slot or in line, would motion and line up as a FB. They did this as a run blocker or stayed in to pass block or pick up the blitz.

So, is Tre Madden hurt? Or, is Shotty trying to use our TEs in a dual role?

If this a dual role, it will open a spot for, maybe another WR or OLinemen?

sutz

Reaction score
truehawksfan":yt1cmp4p said:
Not sure if they did this in Games 1 & 2, but I noticed our TEs line up in the slot or in line, would motion and line up as a FB. They did this as a run blocker or stayed in to pass block or pick up the blitz.

So, is Tre Madden hurt? Or, is Shotty trying to use our TEs in a dual role?

If this a dual role, it will open a spot for, maybe another WR or OLinemen?
In the modern game, TEs and H-backs often do what used to be the FB's job. It's one reason true FBs are kind of rare around the league. :shrug:

As far as the roster goes, it might lead them to keep 4 TE and drop a WR or an RB.

OP
OP
T

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I agree about the H Back/TE motion concept and I think we did this with Luke Wilson for years, but PC signed Fowler and Hill to get a true FB to reestablish the run game. Something we didn't have last year.

I can see this going two ways. Keep Swoopes or sign another FB who gets released from another team on final cut down day.

Jville

Reaction score
All four of their active tight ends saw a healthy number of snaps verses Minnesota in both the offense and on special teams. They were moved around a lot with various offensive alignments thru out the night. Coaches collected plenty of good information from those auditions last night. To me, it continues to look like their offense is well on it's way to going back to the future at the tight end position in a Zach Miller fashion. And of course, we already know that Ed Dickson, who has yet to make a game day appearance, is very much of that same style.

With regards to picking up a dedicated fullback at the moment of final cuts, I think it very difficult to find a new fit that will merge instantly into both the offense and special teams for opening day.

nrayorr

Reaction score
The TEs did line up a few times as a FB, but I don't see that as being something that we will do often.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Dissly is the only TE on the roster I feel really comfortable with as a lead blocker. Vannett is serviceable by not that strong. Dickson, who hasn’t practiced, is a solid pass blocker but bad run blocker. It sucks that we appear doomed to not have a strong lead blocker, despite initially making FB a priority.

I’m grateful for Dissly. Not a lead block, but watch him use Vikings DE Brian Robison as a sled:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/curtis_crabtree/status/1033160861223809024[/tweet]