Shaquem inspiring the Miami Dolphins...

FinNasty

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I imagine my Fins haven't been the only lockerroom talking about him...

Shaquem Griffin, Seahawks’ one-handed rookie starter, inspires Dolphins

The Miami Dolphins linebackers were talking about Seattle Seahawks linebacker Shaquem Griffin in the locker room on Thursday.

Specifically, they were talking about how remarkable Griffin is.

The Seahawks announced this week that Griffin, a rookie linebacker from UCF who plays without a left hand, will start on Sunday.

“It’s an amazing opportunity for him,” Dolphins linebacker Stephone Anthony said. “I hope he goes out and kills it. There is no limit on what you can do no matter what somebody thinks you can do. What somebody tries to put on you. The kid has been faced with adversity his all life and all he does is respond. I love that.”

Dolphins rookie linebacker Jerome Baker said he got to know Griffin at the NFL scouting combine.

“With his personality, you would never have thought anything was wrong,” Baker said. “This rookie class has some great linebackers. You know, it’s all how you look at life, glass half full or half empty. He knows he only has one hand so he works ways to get around it. He turned it all into a positive.”

Linebacker Chase Allen said he could not imagine what it would be like to try to play the position in the NFL with one hand.

“But I feel like as a rookie and getting that first start, kind of like I did last year, you’re just getting your mind right,” Allen said. “Being able to prepare. Obviously he’s done it well enough to this point. So there’s no reason why he can’t do it on Sunday.”

The Dolphins have a practice squad defensive tackle who knows about Griffin all too well. Jamiyus Pittman played with Griffin at UCF last season.

“I’m not surprised at all,” Pittman said. “I knew he was going to come in and be who he is. Work hard every day. Pay attention. And make other people around him better. That’s what he did at UCF. I’m pretty sure that’s just who he is.”

Pittman said at one point last season he said to Griffin, “Bro, you amaze me.” Added Pittman: “Once a coach believed in him, he just took it and ran with it. And he got all of us to believe in us.”

Anthony turned to another Dolphins linebacker on Thursday and marveled further. “Imagine that?” he said. “Starter. Starter in the NFL.”

Added Anthony: “I’m not going to put any limitations on him. High school. College. He’s gotten this far. He’s figured out how to cope with it. On Sunday, I think it’s just speed of the game for him. I don’t think it’s any different if he’s got one hand or two hands.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/fo ... Vh6RnQe2L/

Steve2222

Reaction score
The guy is just a flat out football player. I have a feeling once KJ comes back, Shaquem will still see around 30-40 defensive snaps a game. Just put him on the field somewhere and let him make plays.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am thrilled they got him.

There is an article on him on FG but it p*ssed me off that a bunch of FG commenters thought it was cute (or even not repugnant) to make 'hand' jokes or comments sneaking in the word 'hand' to be funny.

It isn't funny, just boorish.

There are so many reasons to celebrate this and all he has accomplished - I don't know why poking fun at his disability seems to be the first go-to for some of them. I generally think the FG posters are pretty intelligent and classy, but not on that one.

Happy to see very little of that garbage here.

He is really amazing. It takes an incredible amount of fortitude, drive, and ability to even get to this point, considering the obstacles.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Inspiring to read,thanks FinNasty,hope all the UCF guys have a great game and great season,make you proud. :irishdrinkers:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Yeah, FinnNasty you need to come back here on gamedays and check out the gameday forum. It can get pretty bad in there sometimes but most of the time it is a good running commentary on the game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sdog1981":suptvqoq said:
Yeah, FinnNasty you need to come back here on gamedays and check out the gameday forum. It can get pretty bad in there sometimes but most of the time it is a good running commentary on the game.

He has been here. He has been in chat too.

Reaction score
It might seem a bit negative but I don't really like all the attention around Shaquem. I get it, it's a good story to feature a guy who has one hand but that's old news, this guy is a legit player who will have a positive effect on the Seahawks throughout the season. They aren't carrying a guy with a handicap, they got a steal from the 5th round and I wish there was more attention about his level rather than 'his level despite having one hand'. I don't see him in any way different to the other guys on the roster and all this attention he gets now almost comes across as a bit condescending, even though I don't think it's intended that way.

I'm delighted that the Seahawks have got Shaquem but he's not a charity case, he's a legit player and the media should treat him that way. I noticed that the NFL was doing a highlight package of him after every Seahawks game and whilst I get where they're coming from, don't treat him as a novelty act because this is a guy who will be earning highlight packages for his exceptional play for years to come.

hawk45

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":1eid91pq said:
It might seem a bit negative but I don't really like all the attention around Shaquem. I get it, it's a good story to feature a guy who has one hand but that's old news, this guy is a legit player who will have a positive effect on the Seahawks throughout the season. They aren't carrying a guy with a handicap, they got a steal from the 5th round and I wish there was more attention about his level rather than 'his level despite having one hand'. I don't see him in any way different to the other guys on the roster and all this attention he gets now almost comes across as a bit condescending, even though I don't think it's intended that way.

I'm delighted that the Seahawks have got Shaquem but he's not a charity case, he's a legit player and the media should treat him that way. I noticed that the NFL was doing a highlight package of him after every Seahawks game and whilst I get where they're coming from, don't treat him as a novelty act because this is a guy who will be earning highlight packages for his exceptional play for years to come.

I get you, and I definitely feel part of that.

On the other hand the NFL has plenty of negative stories and I'll be honest I'm ready to see some press being given to a story that feels good for everyone.

I'm pretty jaded about NFL players in general but even I get a little twinge about the guy.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":lamebaog said:

I get where you’re coming from, but as a huge fan of his for a few years now... here’s the thing. Embrace it. The missing hand is part of him. As great of a player as he is, it’s even more incredible and inspiring due to his disability (don’t mistakenly call it a handicap!)

You don’t need to feel defensive for him about it b/c he doesn’t feel that way. He’s embraced it and so should you. Does he get more attention right now than he would if he had 2 hands? No question... but that’s b/c his story is so inspirational and impactful to so many.

Once football really starts and he’s making plays on the field, there will more of the story to tell... and that’s where the attention will focus.

But until then... embrace it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
FinNasty":36nve8h9 said:
BoltonWanderer":36nve8h9 said:

I get where you’re coming from, but as a huge fan of his for a few years now... here’s the thing. Embrace it. The missing hand is part of him. As great of a player as he is, it’s even more incredible and inspiring due to his disability (don’t mistakenly call it a handicap!)

You don’t need to feel defensive for him about it b/c he doesn’t feel that way. He’s embraced it and so should you. Does he get more attention right now than he would if he had 2 hands? No question... but that’s b/c his story is so inspirational and impactful to so many.

Once football really starts and he’s making plays on the field, there will more of the story to tell... and that’s where the attention will focus.

But until then... embrace it.
I love the story and happy he is a Hawk..I know he will never quit and play harder than
anyone on the field because that is what you have to do to prove people wrong with the
thoughts on having a disability.I have no doubt he will be the ultimate teamate as well..
This is one player that isn't going to bring bad light to the team.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1038210480458936320[/tweet]