Yards with earl on the field and without him on the field.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I never thought Kam would play a long time due to the way he played.

I think Earl will be a good player well into his 30's. But will the team allow past mistakes to affect their judgment and make a new mistake? I hope not.

zetes

Reaction score
I think they should pay him and I thought that even during the hold out. He means more to our team and is perfect for the scheme. He could easily play 4 more years and maybe you transition him to a nickel corner in years 4 or 5 so I would put the guaranteed money heavy in years 1 to 3 since we will have more younger players during those years and we can afford to keep him. Kam was the leader that his team mates loved and he was harder to replace because of his rare combination of qualities BUT I agree he was never going to last because of the abuse he dished out and took. His extension was the MISTAKE but extending Earl whose only injury was a broken leg would be prudent in my mind …. with the caveat that it can't be RIDICULOUS money. Since, nobody is willing to trade a 1st rounder -- I don't think ridiculous money is going to be necessary.

Z.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Four years, $54 million, $13.5 million APY, $35 million guaranteed at signing.

Make it happen.

Elemas

Reaction score
Been saying pay him. I get the whole "he signed a contract", "he's only thinking of himself", etc...

ETs a baller. Always has been. If you don't pay him, who do you pay?

"Rebuild..get younger..get picks"....so gamble....

Right.

Pay him now.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":1wbkqrn4 said:
Four years, $54 million, $13.5 million APY, $35 million guaranteed at signing.

Make it happen.

The thing that bothers me is he considered retiring on his first injury. It's all but guaranteed that he will retire on the next injury with so much money guaranteed.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
sdog1981":3jejntxo said:

I think Earl will be a good player well into his 30's. But will the team allow past mistakes to affect their judgment and make a new mistake? I hope not.

Really? A guy who's game is built on speed and range...he won't age well....nobody does in the nfl.....

OkieHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":20ax9oy3 said:
sdog1981":20ax9oy3 said:

Really? A guy who's game is built on speed and range...he won't age well....nobody does in the nfl.....

Frank Gore would disagree with that. Dude is how old now and still running strong.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1e2c21ma said:
gowazzu02":1e2c21ma said:
sdog1981":1e2c21ma said:

Frank Gore would disagree with that. Dude is how old now and still running strong.

So u can name 1 guy...that makes my point.

D

DomeHawk

We are understandably gun-shy on longer term guaranteed contracts w/players nearing the end of their careers. You get burned and it takes years to recover.

JGreen79

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1gto9g94 said:
OkieHawk":1gto9g94 said:
gowazzu02":1gto9g94 said:
sdog1981":1gto9g94 said:

From just HoF DB's after turning 30.

Brian Dawkins - 6 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro
Aeneas Williams - 4 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Deion Sanders - 3 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro
Rod Woodson - 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Darrell Green - 4 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Ronnie Lott - 3 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro

And Others not currently in the HoF
Charles Woodson - 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro
Reggie Nelson - 2 Pro Bowls
Aqib Talib - 2 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Charles Tillman - 2 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Champ Bailey - 4 Pro Bowls
Antoine Winfield - 3 Pro Bowls
Adrian Wilson - 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Ed Reed - 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro
Troy PolaMalu - 2 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Darren Sharper - 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro

olyfan63

Reaction score
gowazzu02":15o5l9e9 said:
sdog1981":15o5l9e9 said:

Great point, how quickly they forget!
Right now Earl has the passion to get paid.
After he gets paid? Hard to know.
I'd just as soon see the 'Hawks franchise him for one more year.
Then let things sort out, if he has anything left in the tank.

We really don't know how Earl's game will hold up as he ages.

getnasty

Reaction score
12 yards per play when Earl wasn't on the field. Yikes! I don't know if Seattle will pay him but coming back and playing is only helping his causes at the moment.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":278jzijj said:

Not when you say "nobody". That means I only have to name one to disprove you. Now, if you had said it's rare for people to age well in the NFL then that would have made your point.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
How many touchdowns did they score with him on the field? We know he was in part responsible for the Sanders TD. Or Explosives on/off where safety was responsible?

Earl is our best safety. But, yards need some context. What was going on (off formations, time, score, down), who else was out there, who was responsible, would earl have been able to quel yardage directly in same situations.

Latest posts