It's Surreal: A New Era... Letting Go and Moving On

Welshers2

Reaction score
Well its happened. The Seahawks have a new coach. I was originally going to take some more time to digest all of this and stay quiet about it, but people keep asking me to weigh in. I talked with my therapist about this and she agreed I should make my thoughts public. So I've decided, due to popular demand, to make my feelings clear here.

As many know I took the loss of Pete hard and have been processing it the past couple of weeks. My wife and I even got in a huge fight about it and she said I was more upset when Pete got fired then I was about family dying. I'm a grown man who rarely ever cries... I cried for Pete.

I will never agree with firing Pete. He did too much for this city and this team and winning is too hard in the NFL. He was too consistently good and it made expectations too high. It kills me to think he won't have another chance to win here.

BUT, with all that said, my verdict is... this is a great hire. If they we're gonna move on from Pete, a guy like this was the right way to do it. From the oldest coach to the youngest. From a guy very set in his ways to a guy who is very innovative and ready to implement new schemes.

I was personally hoping for an offensive guy but in Macdonald's case I'm good with it. This defense has under-performed and has a ton of talent, and in his hands could be elite. He's young and innovative and he will hopefully surround himself with people who can bring that same innovation to the offense. Macdonald, by my accounts, is a grade A hire. Well played JS.

Regardless of how you feel about Pete, it's going to be surreal to watch the Seahawks next year without him chewing gum on the sideline. Its been so long and I identify the guys on this team with him in so many different ways that it's almost hard to believe. But it's real and I feel that even if personnel remains largely the same, we will be looking at a entirely different Seahawks team out there next year.

It's scary, but also incredibly exciting. I'd be a liar to say there isn't a ton of upside to this. I still don't think the grass is always greener, and personally I still would have stayed with Pete, but this great hire is really helping me reconcile my feelings and get read for a NEW ERA of Seattle Seahawks football.

It has been very charged on this forum at times. Certain posters even have a certain amount of animosity for Pete or anyone who supported him. I hope we can all just step back from this and agree this is a great hire and we are excited about next season.

For some of you, maybe stop jumping on the grave of Pete and try being happy about the future. Personally I'm going to do my best to let go and stop mourning him and do the same. It's a new era. Time to move on, even for me, and even for a guy like @Fade who is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Thanks for everything Pete, and here's to a bright future with Mike Macdonald!

Wheetie

Reaction score
Well its happened. The Seahawks have a new coach. I was originally going to take some more time to digest all of this and stay quiet about it, but people keep asking me to weigh in. So I've decided, due to popular demand, to make my feelings clear here.

As many know I took the loss of Pete hard and have been processing it the past couple of weeks. My wife and I even got in a huge fight about it and she said I was more upset when Pete got fired then I was about family dying. I'm a grown man who rarely ever cries... I cried for Pete.

I will never agree with firing Pete. He did too much for this city and this team and winning is too hard in the NFL. He was too consistently good and it made expectations too high. It kills me to think he won't have another chance to win here.

BUT, with all that said, my verdict is... this is a great hire. If they we're gonna move on from Pete, a guy like this was the right way to do it. From the oldest coach to the youngest. From a guy very set in his ways to a guy who is very innovative and ready to implement new schemes.

I was personally hoping for an offensive guy but in Macdonald's case I'm good with it. This defense has under-performed and has a ton of talent, and in his hands could be elite. He's young and innovative and he will hopefully surround himself with people who can bring that same innovation to the offense. Macdonald, by my accounts, is a grade A hire. Well played JS.

Regardless of how you feel about Pete, it's going to be surreal to watch the Seahawks next year without him chewing gum on the sideline. Its been so long and I identify the guys on this team with him in so many different ways that it's almost hard to believe. But it's real and I feel that even if personnel remains largely the same, we will be looking at a entirely different Seahawks team out there next year.

It's scary, but also incredibly exciting. I'd be a liar to say there isn't a ton of upside to this. I still don't think the grass is always greener, and personally I still would have stayed with Pete, but this great hire is really helping me reconcile my feelings and get read for a NEW ERA of Seattle Seahawks football.

It has been very charged on this forum at times. Certain posters even have a certain amount of animosity for Pete or anyone who supported him. I hope we can all just step back from this and agree this is a great hire and we are excited about next season.

For some of you, maybe stop jumping on the grave of Pete and try being happy about the future. Personally I'm going to do my best to let go and stop mourning him and do the same. It's a new era. Time to move on, even for me, and even for a guy like @Fade who is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Why do I always feel like you need a hug Welsher? :)

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
How many of the voices in your head asking you to weigh in did it take to get you to post?
Oh JTT, good one! You got me.

But seriously, listen, to get philosophical I would compare your feeling towards Pete to the way I felt about my second wife for a long time. She cheated on me with a wealthier guy with more hair and for a long time I felt a ton of resentment towards her. I was angry even after I dumped her. That's how you feel about, I get it.

But eventually I moved on. With the help of the community I believe you can move on. The thing is Pete didn't cheat, he was only ever loyal. Yes, we've split ways, but we can still wish him the best and thank him for all the great times. Mike is our new wife now, and he's a good looking gal.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Oh JTT, good one! You got me.

But seriously, listen, to get philosophical I would compare your feeling towards Pete to the way I felt about my second wife for a long time. She cheated on me with a wealthier guy with more hair and for a long time I felt a ton of resentment towards her. I was angry even after I dumped her. That's how you feel about, I get it.

But eventually I moved on. With the help of the community I believe you can move on. The thing is Pete didn't cheat, he was only ever loyal. Yes, we've split ways, but we can still wish him the best and thank him for all the great times. Mike is our new wife now, and he's a good looking gal.
Not angry at all. I fully appreciate what he did for this franchise. I was just tired of watching stagnation and wanted him to move on before he completely dismantled what he created. I hope if he still wants to coach he gets the opportunity. In fact I hope that Arizona, LA or SanFran decide they need a change of direction and hire him. (The last part is sarcasm in case that wasn't apparent)

xray

Reaction score
Well its happened. The Seahawks have a new coach. I was originally going to take some more time to digest all of this and stay quiet about it, but people keep asking me to weigh in. I talked with my therapist about this and she agreed I should make my thoughts public. So I've decided, due to popular demand, to make my feelings clear here.

^
What bipolar/manic depressive meds did your therapist prescribe ? Have you ever been diagnosed with OCD ; because you seem to have some behavior leaning that way too ? BTW , thoughts and prayers from your alter ego...LTH, aka , the dead guy . :)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Welshers, it's not healthy to be that invested in nothing more than entertainment. You love Pete, we get it, but Pete Carroll doesn't even know who you are. At the end of the day, Pete is just a guy like you and me. Nothing more.

I give you credit though, you let go of the hate and resentment with your ex wife. I'll never do that. I will hate mine until my last breath on this earth and then beyond.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
Nice, well thought out posts. This is a new era. I knew it was time to move on from Pete and once they I shed a tear myself. Thanks for the great times Pete. I am looking forward to what this new young up and coming coach can do. Just like 14 years ago when Pete was hired, it’s a great day to be a Seahawks fan.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I have no doubt most of us who watched either happily or angrily Pete on the sides will miss him in some form. Idc if your post happens to be satire or not, the fact is everyone processes stuff different at different stages and some people take things more seriously than others as well.

Me? I’m bummed. But I’m also optimistic about what Money Mac (yeah I’m calling him that) will do for us. The dude revived Clowney .. that says a lot. Overall brighter days ahead.

GemCity

Reaction score
I have no doubt most of us who watched either happily or angrily Pete on the sides will miss him in some form. Idc if your post happens to be satire or not, the fact is everyone processes stuff different at different stages and some people take things more seriously than others as well.

Me? I’m bummed. But I’m also optimistic about what Money Mac (yeah I’m calling him that) will do for us. The dude revived Clowney .. that says a lot. Overall brighter days ahead.
Money Mac!!

Bengals going to be calling…

xray

Reaction score
Kinda makes me sympathize with cowboy fans.
The Landry thing comes to my mind.
Sympathize with cowboy fans ? Hmmm , let me think about that............not a phukimg chance .

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sympathize with cowboy fans ? Hmmm , let me think about that............not a phukimg chance .
Yea I get it, I hate’em too but they did lose the greatest coach in their history and he meant as much or more to them than Pete did us.

I hate that we let Pete go, even though I realize it was time. The only thing that will get me over it will be the/a new guy coming in and being even better, and those are pretty big shoes to fill.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.png
    IMG_2809.png
    563.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Hard not to sympathize with Cowboys fans! Let down every year for 3 decades!!