That PI call

Scorpion05

Reaction score
You know the Refs. Always gotta keep it close when the Hawks are dominating. I was praying for a turnover and it was sweet justice.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Yes it was the standard ticky tack call we always get when clearly dominating.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Even the Lions announcer wasnt happy with it

rcaido

Reaction score
should jave handed the football to the ref after the int.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Bad call, but if McDougald has any clue where the ball is he isn't near the receiver to give the ref the opportunity.

THE TABS

Reaction score
It was absolutely horrible.

The officials were letting everything go, then to call something so tricky-tack in that situation was atrocious.

Thankfully Justin Coleman rendered it moot with that pick.

baumer64

Reaction score
Raible went nuts on the radio at that call. I figured it was a bad one considering how bad Steve was bashing the ref on the call. He usually doesn't do that.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen worse calls, but I've been watching football for 40 years or so now. :mrgreen:

Elemas

Reaction score
I was at the game and it's unbelievable how many Detroit fans thought the following calls were justified...

The facemask on Bwags. I get it...his finger touched the very edge of where the facemask is attached to the helmet...but...cmon now.

Roughing the passer...think this was on Bwags too. May of been KJ. Judging by the crowds reaction, you would've thought we Lawrence Taylor'd Stafford.

When we declined a penalty thinking we had a completed pass that was reversed, I heard the phrase "turnover on downs" proceeded by and followed with a slew of vulgarities when the penalty was enacted resulting in a Seattle first down.

The PI....just ridiculous.

I get the home team bias. As long as it goes your way, you're happy. With that said, Detroit fans are "special". Very, very...special.

Hawks are looking great!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pathetic ticky tack crap. I went ballistic. My wife just sat there and was trying no to laugh. The refs in that case are flat out TRYING to keep the game close. Later on, when I was watching the afternoon games on Red Zone, Sherm did the exact same thing, like he always does, and didn't get called.
Let em play, both guys were fighting for position. This isn't the Pac-12, you don't have to call every little ticky tack thing you see. :roll:

mikeak

Reaction score
Facemask - correct

Roughing the passer - correct as arm hits the head. Call it tacky tacky, but it was correct

PI - absolutely stupid. He has the inside not his damn job to get out of the way. Regardless looking at where contact is incurred and where ball is - not catchable

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":10y75hek said:
Facemask - correct

Roughing the passer - correct as arm hits the head. Call it tacky tacky, but it was correct

PI - absolutely stupid. He has the inside not his damn job to get out of the way. Regardless looking at where contact is incurred and where ball is - not catchable

Completely agree. Both the facemask and the roughing the passer were easy calls to make. Sure different refs let different things slide at different levels, but both were blatant enough to be called.

That PI call though, was two guys making contact when the defensive player had the best track to the ball. I think if that game were closer, that flag stays in the pocket.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out 3 of the other penalties.

1) Vannett stepping out of bounds in the end zone - how is this a penalty when there was contact that forced him out? Contact that was seemingly initiated by the defender? How is it not illegal contact, at a minimum?

2) Illegal Motion. The ref said that 2 men were moving before the snap and did not get set before the play. I watched this one over several times. I only saw 1 man moving (Baldwin, IIRC) and it looked like he was set before the snap. I think this play was immediately before a big run by Carson.

3) Chop block. Was called on Fant. I watched that reply several times as well. It couldn't have been on Fant and I did not see a chop block on anyone else. Sweezy and someone else looked close to that but I don't think it was at all. I saw Sweezy lunge high at a Lion and then that guy got past Sweezy and someone blocked him low. Didn't look like a chop to me - the Lion was 1-2 yards beyond Sweezy before the other Seahawk OL had contact with him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And to get a massive chunk on a crap call is even worse. Look at the Detroit WR, he's smiling after the play. Even he knew is was a lame call.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":2ra0jpei said:
I'm still trying to figure out 3 of the other penalties.

1) Vannett stepping out of bounds in the end zone - how is this a penalty when there was contact that forced him out? Contact that was seemingly initiated by the defender? How is it not illegal contact, at a minimum?

Once the QB leaves the pocket, the rule for illegal contact is void and you can shove receivers anywhere including out of bounds. Once you are legally shoved OB, you cannot be the first to touch the ball.

The only things whacked about the play was a) whether Vannett was really out of bounds or just adjacent to the OB paint and b) why on earth does that foul cause a loss of down? Should be just a 5 or 10 yd penalty and repeat down, no? That's a rule that should be fixed. Cost us 3 points for being so minimally into the chalk.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
For that to be a 61 yard penalty is absolutely atrocious.

The league needs to seriously consider changing the PI rule so that theyre not all spot fouls.

Luckily for the league, it didn't play an effect on the outcome of the game.

Had this penalty favored the Hawks and it hurt Erin Rodgers or one of their prized star players, that's all the national media would've talked about today.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
PI call was def a move to keep the game close, keep eyes on the TVs for valuable ad dollars. The fact that CBS and Fox will switch away from blowout games half way through tells you all you need to know about that. It's entertainment, not a court of law.

Facemask, great replay on that one. The cameraman standing right behind the ref and you can see Tate looking right at the ref as he's going out of bounds, "Man, they are trying to HURT me." Wags was a little too aggro considering he was heading out of bounds. Take the call for a little early in-game intimidation?

Out of bounds...them's the rules I guess. It's not like he ran out of the end zone, jumped into the Salvation Army bucket and hid, then ran back out to the other side of the end zone and caught the ball. I assume that's what the out of bounds rule is for. Sneaky sneaks. Not a cleat brushing the chalk. WHATEVER.