Penny on special teams.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks 1st round RB pick has barely touched the ball on offense lately...delegated to kickoff returns...any thoughts on why?

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":3steb0jp said:
The Hawks 1st round RB pick has barely touched the ball on offense lately...delegated to kickoff returns...any thoughts on why?

Because he was taken 2 rounds too soon is my guess. Carson beating him out is acceptable. Davis beating him out is sad.
He isn't exactly even lighting up special teams either.

Chapow

Reaction score
xray":10m3urfu said:

It seems pretty obvious to me. We don't need him right now. Carson and Davis are doing quite well.

It's entirely possible that spending his first season in the NFL learning and training in a pro system and not being asked to do too much might not be the worst thing in the world. It would be one thing if we didn't have 2 other guys playing very well right now, but we do. This actually seems like a pretty good situation to me. Let the rookie learn and train since we don't need him right now. Hopefully he'll be better because of it when/if we do need him.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":240u3jxc said:
xray":240u3jxc said:

Because he was taken 2 rounds too soon is my guess. Carson beating him out is acceptable. Davis beating him out is sad.
He isn't exactly even lighting up special teams either.

In his last 2 games in which he actually got touches on offense he has done pretty well.

Last Sunday in Detroit, week 8, he didn't get any touches on offense. Who knows why.

Week 7 was a bye.

Week 6 he had 9 carries for 43 yards, a 4.8 ypc average, and tacked on 2 receptions for 27 yards.

Week 5 he didn't get any touches on offense. Who knows why.

Week 4 he had 9 carries for 49 yards, a 5.4 ypc average, and while he had no receptions, he had 3 returns for 65 yards.

Again, who knows why he isn't getting any touches some weeks and is other weeks, but it seems like when he is getting touches he's doing pretty well lately.

RCATES

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what Pete is thinking on this one. Penny has zero burst. Almost looks like he jogs when he decides to run it out on kick-offs. At least put someone back there who is somewhat of a threat. Penny looks like a major bust at this point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Far too soon to know if he's a bust, looks like he hasn't adjusted to the pro game yet though. Certainly far from what we'd hoped to get so far, I will agree.

chris98251

Reaction score
Carson is just a beast and Davis has always been able to play, Penny is playing catch up and now is behind two proven guys. Remember they were not sure about Carson and how he was going to come back, much like the Rawls injury, Davis is a rental player they got back for another year and Prosise well he is who he is. Penny was a pick for a need due to injuries who happened to get injured almost right away in Training camp. He now has to wait his turn as well, not a bad thing, can reshape his body and learn pass blocking at the NFL level.

I know those that say wasted pick etc, but we have learned the lack of depth lesson and as of right now we have it, but it can disappear quickly as we have seen the last few years.

knownone

Reaction score
Pete's actually been alluding to this in his press conferences for weeks. Penny is not confident when getting hit, and he seems tentative to initiate contact. They can't have a physical running game with a guy who at this point is the 4th most physical guy on the depth chart. Penny has shown ability on kick returns in college and Pete is using that as a way to get him accustomed to being hit, if he doesn't start to flash on returns soon... it's likely he'll be inactive.

The good news is Penny is young, and sometimes young players from smaller schools struggle early on with contact.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":321b2njh said:
Pete's actually been alluding to this in his press conferences for weeks. Penny is not confident when getting hit, and he seems tentative to initiate contact. They can't have a physical running game with a guy who at this point is the 4th most physical guy on the depth chart. Penny has shown ability on kick returns in college and Pete is using that as a way to get him accustomed to being hit, if he doesn't start to flash on returns soon... it's likely he'll be inactive.

The good news is Penny is young, and sometimes young players from smaller schools struggle early on with contact.

Interesting because I've not seen this evaluation of him yet, but I sure as heck have seen evidence of it. In fact I've mentioned that I've seen him turn his back to brace for a hit rather than push for that extra yard. So I totally agree with this, yet have not heard Pete mention anything about being contact shy.

AgentDib

Reaction score
A rookie isn't getting snaps because the players in front of him are staying healthy and putting up the #1 rushing offense in the NFL over the last five weeks. If you can't see that this is an awesome "problem" to be having thus far then I doubt anybody can change your mind about it.

Seymour

Reaction score
I would only consider this an "awesome problem" to have if Penny was somewhere close to Carson in talent. I have yet to see anything close to that and fear that the drop off if he does get his chance will be a disappointment.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Seymour":2ii4f48d said:
I would only consider this an "awesome problem" to have if Penny was somewhere close to Carson in talent. I have yet to see anything close to that and fear that the drop off if he does get his chance will be a disappointment.

The last two games he has played he has averaged over 5 yds per carry.

Carson and Davis are playing lights out, thats the only reason Penny isnt playing more. And I am completely fine with that.

He's fine.

Some here have a constant agenda to slam the kid/slam the hawks for taking him where they did. Stop already.

Nobody will know what kind of pick he was for a while down the road. Quit trying to be "right" and just enjoy the riches we have at RB right now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkpower":226k9e59 said:
.....Some here have a constant agenda to slam the kid/slam the hawks for taking him where they did. Stop already. .... Quit trying to be "right" and just enjoy the riches we have at RB right now.

Rodger that Chief!!!

I'll be sure to PM all my posts to you prior to posting for your approval. :roll:

How bout you quit trying to control what others opinions are and when they can post them....considered that lately?

:snack:

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Penny is the only high pick RB this year that is not getting much work...maybe they just don't need him...maybe he isn't what they thought he would be...I agree with Seymour that he wasn't a 1st round pick to start with...with J.D. Mckissic coming back soon ;I wouldn't be surprised to not see him carry the rock much at all...how can a rookie RB learn his craft returning kickoffs ? He probably won't. IMO

HawkerD

Reaction score
Lets face a fact. Penny was a reach and would have been a reach for anyone else taking him that early. The claim that another team was hot for him have never been substantiated. The pick would have been better spent at CB or DL where we seemed to be desperate and then get Penny later or someone else as capable.

I'd rather not comment on his ability since I was completely wrong about AC and he is balling out with the Ravens.
The Hawks definitely needed a RB as insurance but a 1st round pick for a round three talent seems like over insuring.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
RCATES":mg1wm9fv said:
I'm not really sure what Pete is thinking on this one. Penny has zero burst. Almost looks like he jogs when he decides to run it out on kick-offs. At least put someone back there who is somewhat of a threat. Penny looks like a major bust at this point.
Uh, that is what Carson and Davis are for. You know that, right?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":376gb82a said:
Hawkpower":376gb82a said:
.....Some here have a constant agenda to slam the kid/slam the hawks for taking him where they did. Stop already. .... Quit trying to be "right" and just enjoy the riches we have at RB right now.

Rodger that Chief!!!

I'll be sure to PM all my posts to you prior to posting for your approval. :roll:

How bout you quit trying to control what others opinions are and when they can post them....considered that lately?

:snack:
My guess is maybe he and others come here as a fan of the team and sees way to much negativity considering the fact we are not a dumpster team.
One of the things I really enjoyed in the UK was there was zero negativity about the team. They all enjoyed the Seahawks and saw tons of positive things, unlike the Madden fans. I can not say that about the faithful on this side of the pond.

Bottom line about Penny, both Carson and Davis have done a commendable job running the ball. We were desperate for more RB help because we went through about a dozen RB's after Lynch bailed out. Ineffective results or season/career ending injuries to the better backs we had forced Pete to draft a RB.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seymour":1b3cg9kh said:
I have yet to see anything close to that and fear that the drop off if he does get his chance will be a disappointment.
Of course he could be a complete disappointment. What we actually know right now is that Penny is third on the depth chart as a rookie behind two RBs with more experience who are playing extremely well. That's not indicative of anything yet and there's still plenty of room for both optimism and pessimism. A few people hit the NFL in stride, many take a while to get up to speed, and most never catch on at all.

All I will suggest is that it is pointless to argue against pessimism (or optimism for that matter) since any outcome is still on the table at this point and most people's opinions at this point say more about them then we actually know about Penny.

Seymour

Reaction score
It's a flippin' discussion board folks! If you just can't live without Kumbaya for 10 minutes then boy scouts or girls scouts may be a better choice. :2thumbs:

I liked the Penny pick and absolutely do not want him to fail, nor have I called him a bust. That does not mean I will turn a blind eye to the fact that we tend to fail with our early pick far too often either.

If there wasn't ever a 2nd side to each discussion then this board would die an instant death. Be careful what you ask for.