Pick play on McCaffrey Receiving TD

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Announcers on Football Night in America called it "Ridiculous and obscene," and called for the league to do something about these pick plays. I agree.

Yes, all teams are doing it, but it's getting ridiculous.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Apparently it’s only a pick play if we do it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mad Dog":zembn8lz said:
Apparently it’s only a pick play if we do it.
Seattle just has to have the “ingredients of a pick play” to get a flag, like the receiver being in the general area of a potential pick play.

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves at the incompetence of their officiating.

vonstout

Reaction score
GB and NE do t on almost every play and NEVER get it called against them. The call against us in the Rams game may have cost us the game and the broadcasters said it wasn’t even interference. The Bears had a blatant pick against the Lions and they threw the flag and then picked it up. Seattle must not draw the TV ratings that NE, LA, Chi, GB, or NO do. That’s the only explanation I can come up with.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The announcers laughing about it in our game today incensed me. Where was the outrage? We know if Seattle had "gotten away with that" we would have seen it replayed 67 times from 10 different angles.

Considering Seattle gets that called if they even have a receiver consider getting in the way, today's no call was absolutely infuriating.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Yup. NBC had the proper response...thought this was so blatant....meanwhile, the game broadcasters had the, oh well attitude.

Oh well...we won so...

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
The worst part was them showing the replay and cutting it off right before the pick, so you didn't get another good look at it. I would love for the league to effectively ban the pick play by changing the rule to any contact at all on a crossing route like that = OPI.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Absolutely. They should have called that TD back. Blatant pick right in the end zone.

In addition, there should have been a flag on David Moore's TD catch for DPI. That was blatant as well but no flag on that one either. Lucky that Moore caught the ball and scored otherwise that probably wouldn't have been flagged. Refs are killing games due to their inconsistency with calls. It's unfortunate.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Is the distance between the picked defender and the receiver he would cover a factor?
What is the interpretation of an illegal pick play? (the elements that make it clearly illegal)

To me it looked like the Seattle defender had a long way to run and the pick occurred before the Seattle defender was able to show that he would get there in time to affect the play. BUT, I don't know what the rule interpretation is, from the POV of the refs.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Smellyman":140989hz said:
Called it the moment it happened. pat pat

Nobody else was on board

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=151183

Funny thing is I said the same thing with the guys I was watching the game with. Barely saw it in the corner of the screen but I said immediately it looked like the safety was interfered with. Replay confirmed that but no one was buying it until they showed the replay. They were just screaming at the D for not covering McCaffery.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was so obvious we were almost laughing that it didn't get called, almost. Guaranteed if the Hawks did that, it gets called.

253hawk

Reaction score
Same crap the Saints used against us I think twice in 2016 and never got called for it.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/1067114604059185153[/tweet]

:sarcasm_off:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bigskydoc":k3qr78bn said:

Apparently refs have no problem determining that when our receiver is standing still and gets plowed into by the DB. OPI every time. Their receiver hits Thompson right in the chest and its supposedly Thompson that initiated contact.

NFL just loves to save face. Protect that shield baby.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Mad Dog":33vv3n38 said:
bigskydoc":33vv3n38 said:

Apparently refs have no problem determining that when our receiver is standing still and gets plowed into by the DB. OPI every time. Their receiver hits Thompson right in the chest and its supposedly Thompson that initiated contact.

Exactly.

Standing still apparently is an egregious penalty, while ramming into and knocking over our DB's apparently too close to call.

Such crap

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1ioot4fa said:
Mad Dog":1ioot4fa said:
bigskydoc":1ioot4fa said:

Exactly.

Standing still apparently is an egregious penalty, while ramming into and knocking over our DB's apparently too close to call.

Such crap

Yeah, this explanation makes no sense when you consider that call against us that MAY have cost us a game.

Did I miss the league admitting that the other call was wrong because I don't think I did?

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Pick plays will always be called improperly. If it doesn't look intentional and more of a "hey I'm in the way because of scheme" then it simply won't be called.
It's the times that a player obviously takes the defender out is when it'll be called

Mad Dog

Reaction score
JumpmanXhawk":11rds19n said:
Pick plays will always be called improperly. If it doesn't look intentional and more of a "hey I'm in the way because of scheme" then it simply won't be called.
It's the times that a player obviously takes the defender out is when it'll be called

If that was the case i'd be happy. But most of the OPI's called against the Seahawks have been during fairly innocuous "Hey I'm in the way because of scheme." So obviously they do call it if it doens't look intentional.

Personally I think they need to call it more as some teams are totally dependent on rub routes creating separation defenses are powerless to stop these things as they can't touch, grab, impede or lay out any WR running free.

But I guess I'm in the minority of not wanting the league to deteriorate into 7 on 7 "last team with the ball, wins".