Eagles to play in Brazil in Week 1

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Eagles have been named the home team for the NFL's first ever game in South America to be played in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It's an odd decision as many had been anticipating that the Dolphins would be involved as Brazil is their market, and I had gone even further in assuming that we'd be forced to donate a home game as we're one of the few teams not to have done so.

The other thing that's unique is that the game will be played in Week 1, a first for an international game, and the trifecta is that it's going to be on a Friday. Up until now, the league had avoided scheduling games on Fridays, at least early in the season, in deference to the high schools, which is a separate story in itself as both attendance and participation in high school football has been on a steady decline.

Although I'm sure that they'll supplement it by adding temporary seating, the stadium is on the small side, seating less than 50k.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
So Eagle season ticket holders are screwed out of a home game. As a 49er Season Ticket Holder I can relate. We payed for the ticket in advance but have no control over the sale of the ticket.

Just proves once again that the NFL (Goodall ) doesn't give a rats ass about the fans.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That we can absolutely agree on. Losing a HOME game that's in another country? That's pathetic. All about the almighty $

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
So Eagle season ticket holders are screwed out of a home game. As a 49er Season Ticket Holder I can relate. We payed for the ticket in advance but have no control over the sale of the ticket.

Just proves once again that the NFL (Goodall ) doesn't give a rats ass about the fans.
Pretty much. Rog is not a good person.

chris98251

Reaction score
Minimum 18 hour flight to Brazil out of Miami, Sau Paulo is like Chicago in Prohibition days, it's a City ran by the Mob. Most of Brazil is, but that City is like the center of it all. Guys can get in trouble there quickly if out and about. It may have improved some since I was there but Imagine everyone packing and a 1870's mentality with 1960's technology or later outside of the Metropolis.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score

It's been happening since 2007. One of the reasons why they went to a 17 game season was so fans wouldn't get screwed out of a full slate of home games. It won't be too long before we see every team with 9 home games donate one of them to the international series.

I'm all for it. I went to the Hawks-Raiders game in London and loved it. I would have gone to our game in Munich a couple years back but we couldn't get game tickets.

I'm more concerned with them playing on a Friday than I am with the location of the game. High school football has been on the decline, and this is going to help push it further downhill.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Minimum 18 hour flight to Brazil out of Miami, Sau Paulo is like Chicago in Prohibition days, it's a City ran by the Mob. Most of Brazil is, but that City is like the center of it all. Guys can get in trouble there quickly if out and about. It may have improved some since I was there but Imagine everyone packing and a 1870's mentality with 1960's technology or later outside of the Metropolis.
Bullshit! A commercial flight from Miami to Sao Paulo, Brazil is a little over 8.5 hours. That's less than the flight time from Denver to London. Better do your homework!

As far as your concern about safety, that's something I can't speak to. But I wouldn't think it would be that much greater than Mexico City. Besides, there's a lot of cities in this country, indeed in many if not most large cities worldwide, where I wouldn't want to walk downtown at night.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
I dislike many of the changes that have been made since Goodell took over. And at the very top of that list are international games. Those suck so bad.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I live in the greater São Paulo area. I'm just off the edge of the East Side of São Paulo, and the game will be held at the stadium of Corinthians, the most popular team in the state of São Paulo, way the heck over on the East Side of São Paulo.

I have a friend who lives in Campinas, about 60 miles further inland from São Paulo. He's a big Eagles fan, so as soon as I saw this news early this morning, I immediately sent him a message. I told him that it's good for him, but sucks for the Eagles, who lose a home game and have to do the stupid international travel. The effects are minimized by it being in the first week of the season and an extra two days before the first Sunday, but it still sucks for the Eagles.

I could probably get to Campinas more quickly than I could get to Corinthians's stadium most weekdays. And that plus what I'm sure will be the outrageous price of the tickets is more than enough reason for me to completely discard the possibility of going to this game. If it had been a Seahawks game, I might have thought about it, but then again, the people who will go to this game will know even less about football than the most casual fans in the USA. On average, of course. There are some people who really do follow the sport and understand it well, but there aren't enough of them to fill even Corintihans's stadium, which has a maximum capacity of about 49,000 spectators.
On Thursday of last week, when I was on the way back home from a friend's apartment, I was calling a car from outside the subway station closest to where I live. Two guys, probably on their way to lunch, walked past me really close, and I saw that one of them was wearing a Seahawks T-shirt. I hustled after them on the off chance that he might actually be a Seahawks fan, but knowing he probably wasn't. I have already learned the right question to ask ("do you really follow the NFL?"), so I quickly discovered that the guy is in fact not a Seahawks fan or an NFL fan at all; he just liked the T-shirt. To help him understand that this wasn't some kind of elaborate robbery attempt, I said to him "I asked because it's my team" and showed him the Seahawks logo on the cap I had been wearing (but that was in my hand at that point, because it was hot), while stepping away and letting him and his buddy go on their way. He relaxed when he saw my cap and understood what happened - he probably imagined himself somewhere like, say, Seattle, seeing somebody wearing a Corinthians (or whatever team he actually likes) T-shirt...

What I'm expecting the crowd to be is about 1% people who really follow the NFL and the rest a bunch of upper-middle-class idiots (and not just from São Paulo - some will travel) who don't even really follow the league, but think doing "American stuff" makes them cooler and smarter than the plebeian Brazilians all around them. Basically, it's another Lollapalooza for them. They're the reason the ticket prices can be outrageously high.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bullshit! A commercial flight from Miami to Sao Paulo, Brazil is a little over 8.5 hours. That's less than the flight time from Denver to London. Better do your homework!

As far as your concern about safety, that's something I can't speak to. But I wouldn't think it would be that much greater than Mexico City. Besides, there's a lot of cities in this country, indeed in many if not most large cities worldwide, where I wouldn't want to walk downtown at night.
Your right, my bad I was thinking my whole flight time from here Seattle, lay over Denver, lay over Atlanta, lay over Miami then off to Rio. It was 1985. But the Brazil aspect was true and accurate. Lay overs were 30 minutes to an Hour each stop to unload and reload.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Minimum 18 hour flight to Brazil out of Miami,

What? Minimum 18-hour flight? It's eight and a half hours from Miami, and a little over nine and a half from Atlanta, Boston, and New York.

Sau Paulo is like Chicago in Prohibition days, it's a City ran by the Mob. Most of Brazil is, but that City is like the center of it all.

That's just so fact-free and incorrect that I don't know where to start. There are militias and other armed factions around Brazil, but the idea that they run São Paulo is just silly. I'm now trying to imagine what you would have heard, and what group the misinformers were trying to say is in charge of the city.

Guys can get in trouble there quickly if out and about

That's completely true and correct.

It may have improved some since I was there but Imagine everyone packing and a 1870's mentality with 1960's technology or later outside of the Metropolis.

Huh? I don't see the "1870s mentality" much, and I've lived here for close to 24 years.

I do see some 1850s mentality among the "ruralistas." Let me make the reference explicit: there are wealthy farm-company owners and politicians in their pockets, mostly from states whose main business is agriculture, who would very much like to re-legalize slavery.

But a "Wild-West" attitude? Very little of that. On the contrary, there's a major authoritarian political movement, largely driven by Evangelicals, that in late 2022 came closer than I would have thought possible just a decade ago to staging a coup and introducing a new dictatorship.

And 1960s technology? I'm trying to imagine where you could get such misinformation.

You can't be talking about consumer technology. Even people in tiny towns out in the sticks have latest-generation smartphones, tablets, and "smart" TVs. I may be the only person in Brazil who wanted a non-"smart" TV, and the only way I found of doing that was buying a "smart" TV and just not connecting it to any networks, so it's just the big, dumb, cheap screen I wanted.

You can't mean communication tech. I've got internet service that's fiber-optic all the way from the backbone to the router in my apartment. My phone is connected to 5G networks more frequently here than when I'm in the USA.

I can't imagine you mean business tech either. Brazil has one of the most advanced banking-tech systems in the world, and since the late aughts, a country-wide universal system for completely electronic invoicing.

I don't think you can mean aerospace tech either. Embraer was eating Bombardier's lunch so thoroughly in the early aughts that the Canadians invented some BS about Brazilian beef having "mad cow disease." It was, of course, quickly disproved.

I guess you could be talking about transportation tech, but it would be a gross exaggeration even to say Brazil has from-the-aughts tech. Brazil is behind the USA, but not by that much, much less the difference between now and the 1960s. Just about every combustion-engine car sold in Brazil since the mid-aughts has a "flex" motor that'll burn ethanol, gasoline, or any mixture of the two you want. Ethanol is almost always a good deal less expensive, but gasoline gives the car more power. Brazil is well behind the USA in electric vehicles, especially the availability of charging stations, but there are electric cars here, a bunch of gas-station chains have charging stations, and the infrastructure is being improved.

I'm totally against these stupid NFL games on continents other than North America. But there are good football reasons to oppose them without having to resort to nonsense stereotypes and misinformation about the countries where the games are being held.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I live in the greater São Paulo area. I'm just off the edge of the East Side of São Paulo, and the game will be held at the stadium of Corinthians, the most popular team in the state of São Paulo, way the heck over on the East Side of São Paulo.

I have a friend who lives in Campinas, about 60 miles further inland from São Paulo. He's a big Eagles fan, so as soon as I saw this news early this morning, I immediately sent him a message. I told him that it's good for him, but sucks for the Eagles, who lose a home game and have to do the stupid international travel. The effects are minimized by it being in the first week of the season and an extra two days before the first Sunday, but it still sucks for the Eagles.

I could probably get to Campinas more quickly than I could get to Corinthians's stadium most weekdays. And that plus what I'm sure will be the outrageous price of the tickets is more than enough reason for me to completely discard the possibility of going to this game. If it had been a Seahawks game, I might have thought about it, but then again, the people who will go to this game will know even less about football than the most casual fans in the USA. On average, of course. There are some people who really do follow the sport and understand it well, but there aren't enough of them to fill even Corintihans's stadium, which has a maximum capacity of about 49,000 spectators.
On Thursday of last week, when I was on the way back home from a friend's apartment, I was calling a car from outside the subway station closest to where I live. Two guys, probably on their way to lunch, walked past me really close, and I saw that one of them was wearing a Seahawks T-shirt. I hustled after them on the off chance that he might actually be a Seahawks fan, but knowing he probably wasn't. I have already learned the right question to ask ("do you really follow the NFL?"), so I quickly discovered that the guy is in fact not a Seahawks fan or an NFL fan at all; he just liked the T-shirt. To help him understand that this wasn't some kind of elaborate robbery attempt, I said to him "I asked because it's my team" and showed him the Seahawks logo on the cap I had been wearing (but that was in my hand at that point, because it was hot), while stepping away and letting him and his buddy go on their way. He relaxed when he saw my cap and understood what happened - he probably imagined himself somewhere like, say, Seattle, seeing somebody wearing a Corinthians (or whatever team he actually likes) T-shirt...

What I'm expecting the crowd to be is about 1% people who really follow the NFL and the rest a bunch of upper-middle-class idiots (and not just from São Paulo - some will travel) who don't even really follow the league, but think doing "American stuff" makes them cooler and smarter than the plebeian Brazilians all around them. Basically, it's another Lollapalooza for them. They're the reason the ticket prices can be outrageously high.
That's good info. I, too, noticed that the stadium is very small seating-wise. I'm sure that they'll bring in a lot of temporary seats, but even so, it's strange that the NFL selected that venue. There's one in Rio that seats 70k+ that they used for a World Cup soccer game in 2014.

I'd be curious about your comments about the safety concerns raised by @chris98251.

Edit: Ooops! I see you just commented. Never mind.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The potentially good thing about playing NFL games in countries obsessed with soccer is that if they become hardcore fans then the referees will be scared shitless of being murdered if they make a bad call.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
The international series is here to stay. Like it or loathe it, you might as well get used to it.

The Eagles have no room to bitch. It's their first game of the season, so they don't have to play on a short week having to deduct a day for travel, and they'll have a mini bye before their next game. That's a lot better than other teams having to play in the international series.

However, I am a little curious as to why they chose Brazil over other non-third world countries like Japan and Australia. I visited Japan last spring, met up with two old high school friends, Japanese exchange students of whom I've remained friends with for over 50 years. One of them is coordinating an event called Formula E, ala Formula 1, for electric cars, and he said that the NFL would be a huge hit over there.

chris98251

Reaction score
What? Minimum 18-hour flight? It's eight and a half hours from Miami, and a little over nine and a half from Atlanta, Boston, and New York.

That's just so fact-free and incorrect that I don't know where to start. There are militias and other armed factions around Brazil, but the idea that they run São Paulo is just silly. I'm now trying to imagine what you would have heard, and what group the misinformers were trying to say is in charge of the city.

That's completely true and correct.

Huh? I don't see the "1870s mentality" much, and I've lived here for close to 24 years.

I do see some 1850s mentality among the "ruralistas." Let me make the reference explicit: there are wealthy farm-company owners and politicians in their pockets, mostly from states whose main business is agriculture, who would very much like to re-legalize slavery.

But a "Wild-West" attitude? Very little of that. On the contrary, there's a major authoritarian political movement, largely driven by Evangelicals, that in late 2022 came closer than I would have thought possible just a decade ago to staging a coup and introducing a new dictatorship.

And 1960s technology? I'm trying to imagine where you could get such misinformation.

You can't be talking about consumer technology. Even people in tiny towns out in the sticks have latest-generation smartphones, tablets, and "smart" TVs. I may be the only person in Brazil who wanted a non-"smart" TV, and the only way I found of doing that was buying a "smart" TV and just not connecting it to any networks, so it's just the big, dumb, cheap screen I wanted.

You can't mean communication tech. I've got internet service that's fiber-optic all the way from the backbone to the router in my apartment. My phone is connected to 5G networks more frequently here than when I'm in the USA.

I can't imagine you mean business tech either. Brazil has one of the most advanced banking-tech systems in the world, and since the late aughts, a country-wide universal system for completely electronic invoicing.

I don't think you can mean aerospace tech either. Embraer was eating Bombardier's lunch so thoroughly in the early aughts that the Canadians invented some BS about Brazilian beef having "mad cow disease." It was, of course, quickly disproved.

I guess you could be talking about transportation tech, but it would be a gross exaggeration even to say Brazil has early-21st-Century tech. Brazil is behind the USA, but not by that much, much less the difference between now and the 1960s. Just about every combustion-engine car sold in Brazil since the mid-aughts has a "flex" motor that'll burn ethanol, gasoline, or any mixture of the two you want. Ethanol is almost always a good deal less expensive, but gasoline gives the car more power. Brazil is well behind the USA in electric vehicles, especially the availability of charging stations, but there are electric cars here, a bunch of gas-station chains have charging stations, and the infrastructure is being improved.

I'm totally against these stupid NFL games on continents other than North America. But there are good football reasons to oppose them without having to resort to nonsense stereotypes and misinformation about the countries where the games are being held.
I was there in 1985, went from Fortaleza to Rio and every village and pit stop along the coast, seen a guy cut in half with a shotgun and just lay on the beach, guy was messing with the dudes wife I found out, every native had a revolver, the shanty's and shacks were wired two wires and exposed, the Metropolis areas were more techno advanced but 1960's or there about in many aspects. The economy was bad, inflationary to the max. Kids being picked up on the street and disappearing to become workers or sex slaves, women and most all sidelined as hookers to make ends meet, associate I worked with on his time off went to Venezuela to hunt trafficker's and got paid by the ear.

The trash and people rotting on the streets from flesh eating bacteria were all over. Yes this was about 20 years after Brazil became a democracy, it was still figuring itself out. Like I said things may have changed.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I was there in 1985, went from Fortaleza to Rio and every village and pit stop along the coast, seen a guy cut in half with a shotgun and just lay on the beach, guy was messing with the dudes wife I found out, every native had a revolver, the shanty's and shacks were wired two wires and exposed, the Metropolis areas were more techno advanced but 1960's or there about in many aspects. The economy was bad, inflationary to the max. Kids being picked up on the street and disappearing to become workers or sex slaves, women and most all sidelined as hookers to make ends meet, associate I worked with on his time off went to Venezuela to hunt trafficker's and got paid by the ear.

The trash and people rotting on the streets from flesh eating bacteria were all over. Yes this was about 20 years after Brazil became a democracy, it was still figuring itself out. Like I said things may have changed.

Different country.

1985 was right at the end of the 21-year (1964-1985) military dictatorship, which had been a disaster for Brazil in many ways.

Revisionist authoritarian idiots like to say crap like "the dictatorship was when things were good," even though there's not a problem in Brazil today that doesn't have major roots in that time.

Tancredo Neves, Brazil's first civilian president-elect at the end of the dictatorship, died mysteriously the night before taking office. During the campaign, the guy running on the pro-military-government ticket, Paulo Maluf, had said "Tancredo might even win, but he won't take office." Neves's vice-presidential candidate, José Sarney, had been pro-military-government until just months before the election. He took over as the first civilian president after the dictatorship. The next one after that, Fernando Collor, may well have been the most corrupt (EDIT to add: most corrupt civilian president; the military guys were at least as bad) in the history of the country, but he also really opened up the markets and thus allowed the beginning of the cleanup of the mess made by the complete mismanagement of the country by the military. Facing impeachment for his corruption, he resigned in late '92, and his vice president Itamar Franco took over. The next two presidents were elected twice in a row each - Fernando Henrique Cardoso in '94 and '98, and Lula in '02 and '06. With the currency reform FHC had put in place as finance minister ending the days of hyperinflation, followed by the competent management of those two presidents' governments, Brazil grew and developed very quickly. There was a time in the mid-aughts when millions of people per month were climbing out of poverty into the middle class. And they managed to do this while keeping inflation under control.
Between 2000 and 2012, Brazil had annual GDP growth above 5% (and again, without hyperinflation). In 2012, Brazil's economy passed that of the U.K. to become the sixth-largest in the world. Brazil was in the top seven economies in the world for five years in a row ending in 2014. It's currently ninth, but that was a pleasant surprise after being 12th in 2021 and 11th last year, and having been expected to reach tenth this year. The main difference is that GDP is now being seen as likely to grow about 3.1% this year, where the previous projection was 0.9%, so it looks like more growth and development are coming.

Brazil's post-dictatorship constitution is based in a bunch of ways on the U.S. Constitution.

chris98251

Reaction score
Different country.

1985 was right at the end of the 21-year (1964-1985) military dictatorship, which had been a disaster for Brazil in many ways.

Revisionist authoritarian idiots like to say crap like "the dictatorship was when things were good," even though there's not a problem in Brazil today that doesn't have major roots in that time.

Tancredo Neves, Brazil's first civilian president-elect at the end of the dictatorship, died mysteriously the night before taking office. During the campaign, the guy running on the pro-military-government ticket, Paulo Maluf, had said "Tancredo might even win, but he won't take office." Neves's vice-presidential candidate, José Sarney, had been pro-military-government until just months before the election. He took over as the first civilian president after the dictatorship. The next one after that, Fernando Collor, may well have been the most corrupt (EDIT to add: most corrupt civilian president; the military guys were at least as bad) in the history of the country, but he also really opened up the markets and thus allowed the beginning of the cleanup of the mess made by the complete mismanagement of the country by the military. Facing impeachment for his corruption, he resigned in late '92, and his vice president Itamar Franco took over. The next two presidents were elected twice in a row each - Fernando Henrique Cardoso in '94 and '98, and Lula in '02 and '06. With the currency reform FHC had put in place as finance minister ending the days of hyperinflation, followed by the competent management of those two presidents' governments, Brazil grew and developed very quickly. There was a time in the mid-aughts when millions of people per month were climbing out of poverty into the middle class. And they managed to do this while keeping inflation under control.
Between 2000 and 2012, Brazil had annual GDP growth above 5% (and again, without hyperinflation). In 2012, Brazil's economy passed that of the U.K. to become the sixth-largest in the world. Brazil was in the top seven economies in the world for five years in a row ending in 2014. It's currently ninth, but that was a pleasant surprise after being 12th in 2021 and 11th last year, and having been expected to reach tenth this year. The main difference is that GDP is now being seen as likely to grow about 3.1% this year, where the previous projection was 0.9%, so it looks like more growth and development are coming.

Brazil's post-dictatorship constitution is based in a bunch of ways on the U.S. Constitution.
Well then my Brazil experience was at a time of turmoil there. As I said unless things changed. Was there for 9 months working as a contractor for Sermar.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
It's been happening since 2007. One of the reasons why they went to a 17 game season was so fans wouldn't get screwed out of a full slate of home games. It won't be too long before we see every team with 9 home games donate one of them to the international series.

I'm all for it. I went to the Hawks-Raiders game in London and loved it. I would have gone to our game in Munich a couple years back but we couldn't get game tickets.

I'm more concerned with them playing on a Friday than I am with the location of the game. High school football has been on the decline, and this is going to help push it further downhill.
So the Eagle fan pays for the full package and then is the only season ticket holder who loses control over one of his/her tickets. You think that is fair?

I'll get my 9 home games next season to resell. I guess it's the " At least it's not me this year " mentality.

OK. It's only a ticket I payed for in advance. 🙄

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
So the Eagle fan pays for the full package and then is the only season ticket holder who loses control over one of his/her tickets. You think that is fair?

No different than any other team that donates a home game. Besides, if a season ticket holder can't go to a game, they can re-sell their tickets on the secondary market, often times more than what they paid for it, sometimes a lot more.

I really don't want to hear any whining from today's season ticket holders getting stuck with a ticket because they can't go to a game. From 1985-96, long before email, social media, electronic tickets, Stub Hub, Ticketmaster, et al, I used to have season tickets to the Seahawks and lived in Moses Lake, 2.5 hours over a mountain pass from Seattle. If I couldn't go to a game, I had to find someone willing to buy it and snail mail it to them at least 3-4 days in advance of the game or else I had to eat it.
I'll get my 9 home games next season to resell. I guess it's the " At least it's not me this year " mentality.

OK. It's only a ticket I payed for in advance. 🙄
Cry me a river!

Last edited: