State Your Case Dave Brown for H.O.F.

ivotuk

Reaction score
State Your Case: Seattle CB Dave Brown and his 62 quiet INTs

by Rick Gosselin

Brown was an All-America safety at Michigan who became a first-round draft pick by Pittsburgh in 1975. He picked up a Super Bowl ring in his rookie season with the Steelers, then was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the expansion draft in 1976.

He moved into the starting lineup at safety that season and led the team in both tackles (111) and interceptions (four).

The Seahawks moved Brown to cornerback in 1977 and he stayed there for the next 13 seasons, intercepting 58 passes.

Only three cornerbacks intercepted more passes in NFL history – Dick “Night Train” Lane (68), Ken Riley (65) and Dick LeBeau (62). Emmitt Thomas also intercepted 58 passes at corner, tying Brown. Lane, LeBeau and Thomas all have busts in Canton.

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame/sta ... aWJMbsRHQ/

mrblitz

Reaction score
...just on the basis of 58 Ints alone... what are they waiting for?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think two really unsung early Seahawks are Brown and Jacob Green. Neither is destined for Canton but Seahawk fans should always appreciate how they played the game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":18ouyo8i said:
I think there is a case for it..
That card makes me want to go through those wax packs again.. :lol:

Seafan

Reaction score
Dave Brown was a great coverage CB and as physical a DB as there ever was in the league. He was just as great at tackling as his coverage. I watched him get two pick 6s in a game and he still lowered the boom on RBs.

I sent a letter to the front office two years ago stating Brown needed a champion and there isn't a posthumous candidate that is more deserving of HOF honors.

Perhaps John Clayton could be that champion with his connections to Pittsburgh.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why does the back of the card say Dave Tipton?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Going to have to go with no.

Seattle did have HOF players. And there was little question about it.

Brown was a very good player. It's not the hall of the very good though. While there are merely very good players in the Hall -- most of those are there due in part to team success (championships).

Brown wasn't a transformative figure at the position. He had solid years and he enjoyed longevity in the league.

If he made it, I'd be pleased. But personally I don't ever recall thinking that Brown was going to be in the Hall of Fame while watching his career unfold.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It has been the 'hall of very good' for a long time. It might even be the 'hall of pretty good for a long time'.

People are fine voting in people that have a boatload of accumulated stats over the years but were never really tremendously dominant or the best of the best in a time period (3, 5, 10 years).

There are plenty of people in the Hall that are nowhere near the best players to have ever played. Not in their generation, and not overall.

Adding Dave Brown would not diminish the Hall at all. He is good enough to be in there. Maybe not so great that leaving him out would be a travesty.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I just love the fact that we stole him from the Stealers. :)

I remember watching games, or listening to them on the radio, here in Alaska, and there was always that belief that at any moment, Dave Brown was going to make a game changing play.

I like him for his longevity, toughness, and consistency, and IMHO, that's enough to get him in.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":23k5pny2 said:
I think two really unsung early Seahawks are Brown and Jacob Green. Neither is destined for Canton but Seahawk fans should always appreciate how they played the game.

Loved the way Jacob Green played the game. Not a HOFer, but totally a Seahawks ROH great.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
attyla must be a youngster that never watched Dave brown play. he was a ball hawking interception machine that was tough as nails. He wasn't "very good", he was elite.

Seafan

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":202mbm16 said:
attyla must be a youngster that never watched Dave brown play. he was a ball hawking interception machine that was tough as nails. He wasn't "very good", he was elite.

He played in the best secondary in Hawk history.

Easley,
Harris,
Brown,
Simpson
Justin

They were ball hawks who also lowered the boom.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
These cases are always hard. Do you put the guy that was very good for many seasons in the HOF or the guy that had a shorter career but was dominant for a few years. Easley was the short career but dominant player. Brown was the very good for a long time player. Not sure which is a better choice.

Personally I think you need some All Pro appearances and several Pro Bowls to really be eligible. SB's are over rated as far as HOF qualifications since that's a team effort. Brown has neither qualification so its a tough sell.

But I care more about our RoH than the HoF for our players. Brown absolutely is a worthy member of the RoH. And I'm more upset that the RoH seems largely forgotten by the current team. No Holmgren era Seahawks up there other than Walter. Really?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2uf4mpx4 said:
These cases are always hard. Do you put the guy that was very good for many seasons in the HOF or the guy that had a shorter career but was dominant for a few years. Easley was the short career but dominant player. Brown was the very good for a long time player. Not sure which is a better choice.

Personally I think you need some All Pro appearances and several Pro Bowls to really be eligible. SB's are over rated as far as HOF qualifications since that's a team effort. Brown has neither qualification so its a tough sell.

But I care more about our RoH than the HoF for our players. Brown absolutely is a worthy member of the RoH. And I'm more upset that the RoH seems largely forgotten by the current team. No Holmgren era Seahawks up there other than Walter. Really?
I disagree..
We need more HOF Hawk's!The ROH is sweet but flawed as you mentioned.
It even has Zorny in it over some who really should be in..

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1twoe4u9 said:
Mad Dog":1twoe4u9 said:

I disagree..
We need more HOF Hawk's!The ROH is sweet but flawed as you mentioned.
It even has Zorny in it over some who really should be in..

Zorn and Largent were our first good players and faces of this team, Largent deserves to be in any accolade group, Zorn for Seattle it was more then just his play, it was bringing recognition to our team and fan base as a local hero in the early days and how he carried himself as well as represented the team. He also did much more for us after.

Besides the First legit QB in a expansion Franchise typically does get these accolades. Everyone else after is suppose to be better.