Pre Senior Bowl -- Mock 1.0

Seattle Person

Reaction score
1st Round: (GB's #25): GB gets the #16 (1st) and #118 (4th) and SEA gets #25 (1st) and #58 (2nd).
  • Selection: Payton Wilson: LB (NC State): 6'4: 238 lbs: I firmly believe he's a top 20 talent. His highlights are freaky. He does things on the field that are alien-like. He has had an ACL tear in high school and also 2 shoulder injuries. He'll be 24 by the start of the season but he's the total package. He can do things similar to Micae Parsons. He can rush, cover, and tackle. He had a 4% missed tackle rate last season. Devon Witherspoon was the only one on the field along with Boye Mafe at times that did freaky things on the field. We need more aliens on defense. I banged the drum for Withspoon last season because of his tape and Wilson is that for me this season. Senior Bowl dude.

2nd Round: (GB's #58)
  • Selection: T'Vondre Sweat: DT (Texas): 6'4: 362 lbs: He's a tough one for me but I'm rolling with it because of his unique attributes. He's big as hell and unlike some of the other big-ass dudes like Mazi Smith and Siaki Ika from last season -- Sweat runs a high motor. The reason I'm conflicted about this pick is because he is most likely not going to play that many snaps. You're probably not optimizing the value of the 2nd round. But Sweat is an absolute monster against the run. He had over a 90 grade for his run defense by PFF. I think I feel comfortable with him in the later 2nd round. Senior Bowl dude.

3rd Round: (Native #78)
  • Selection: Malik Washington WR (Virginia): 5'9: 190 lbs: He's killing the Shrine Bowl. No one can stay in front of him. The WR class is loaded. Malik Washington give the Hawks another weapon. He was among the leader in route separation in the entire country. He can run some routes. Although he is short, he has a very stocky build. I think he's going to drop to the 2nd/3rd rounds because of his height and I don't think he's going to light up the 40 yard dash. I know we have Tyler, DK, JSN, and Bobo but I can't help but tap into the strength of the class. Washington is dynamic with the ball in his hands. He'll add a lot of YAC to the WR room.

3rd Round: (Native #81)
  • Selection: Brandon Coleman OT/G (TCU): 6'6: 320 lbs: He's athletic. Since we skipped the first round OTs -- I'm targeting Colemon here. I'm afraid he might rise even higher than this by the draft. He made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' and runs over 18 mph for an Olinemen. He'll challenge for the LG spot and he can be a back up to Abe Lucas in case Abe is injured again next season. He needs to be meaner in the run game but I like his upside, size, and athleticism. He struggled against speed guys as an OT so a move inside might benefit him.

5th Round: (Native#150)
  • Selection: AJ Barner TE (Michigan): 6'6: 251 lbs: He's not a burner. He reminds me of a faster version of Will Dissly. He was a top 3 blocking TE in college this past season. You get a chance at a dominant blocking TE. Hugely under utilized as a pass catcher and I think he'll surprise in this area. You can still bring back Parkinson or Fant but replace Dissly with Barner is huge in the run game for me. Again, I think he's going to rise before this is all said and done. He might even go in the 3rd round and I wouldn't mind picking him in the 3rd instead of Coleman. Senior Bowl dude.

6th Round: (Native #193)
  • Selection: Malik Mustapha S (Wake Forest): 5'10: 205 lbs: Another Feldman's 'Freaks List.' The heart and soul of the Wake Forest defense. He plays his heart on his sleeve. This dude is a missile to the ball. Gives 0 f***s about his health. He has some versatility. He can play in the box, nickle, or play high safety. Senior Bowl dude.

7th Round: (Native #232)
  • Selection: Elijah Jones CB (Boston College): 6'2: 180 lbs: Talll, lanky, ok speed. He shows a lot of effort in the run game. Solid CB prospect. Tre Brown is a FA after the 2024 season and you can always use another aggressive CB in the fold. He is pretty grabby and doesn't have deep speed. He reminds me of Jeremy Lane. He'll be at the Senior Bowl.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
I like the players you drafted, although not the rounds. Using a 1st round pick on a LB that has had multiple surgeries with one of them being a shoulder surgery is a big gamble! A WR with a bad shoulder, not a huge concern because he doesn't have to make tackles everyplay. You want to see a defensive elite athlete with a chronic shoulder injury....look no further than our own Jamal Adams. Adams now plays tentative because of his shoulder. Can't fault him trying to protect a damaged body part, but its time for the GM and coaching staff to let him go.

Wilson injury history is a red flag to keep him out of the 1st round. 2nd round, maybe depending on the team. I wouldn't want the Seahawks to select him until the 3rd or 4th round.

Anyways, I liked the mock and the thought you put into it!

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I like the players you drafted, although not the rounds. Using a 1st round pick on a LB that has had multiple surgeries with one of them being a shoulder surgery is a big gamble! A WR with a bad shoulder, not a huge concern because he doesn't have to make tackles everyplay. You want to see a defensive elite athlete with a chronic shoulder injury....look no further than our own Jamal Adams. Adams now plays tentative because of his shoulder. Can't fault him trying to protect a damaged body part, but its time for the GM and coaching staff to let him go.

Wilson injury history is a red flag to keep him out of the 1st round. 2nd round, maybe depending on the team. I wouldn't want the Seahawks to select him until the 3rd or 4th round.

Anyways, I liked the mock and the thought you put into it!

I fully expect the push back about Wilson. To me, it's simple. He's a top 15 to top 20 talent in the whole draft. He's the complete package. Everything is there. The sacks, the INTs, the PDs, the coverage grade.

If he does slip then that confirms teams feel weary about his shoulders and knee. But right now in the early mock -- I see what I see. A complete bad ass worthy of a first round grade and selection. You won't see another impact player like that from the defensive side besides maybe Jer'Zhan Newton or Cooper DeJean. Yes it is bold and risky. Until his medicals don't check out then I'm rolling with the talent.

I just can't un-see what he did on tape and on his highlights. Not many defensive guys in this class made me go wow. A lot more on the offensive side though.

12forlife

Reaction score
1st Round: (GB's #25): GB gets the #16 (1st) and #118 (4th) and SEA gets #25 (1st) and #58 (2nd).
  • Selection: Payton Wilson: LB (NC State): 6'4: 238 lbs: I firmly believe he's a top 20 talent. His highlights are freaky. He does things on the field that are alien-like. He has had an ACL tear in high school and also 2 shoulder injuries. He'll be 24 by the start of the season but he's the total package. He can do things similar to Micae Parsons. He can rush, cover, and tackle. He had a 4% missed tackle rate last season. Devon Witherspoon was the only one on the field along with Boye Mafe at times that did freaky things on the field. We need more aliens on defense. I banged the drum for Withspoon last season because of his tape and Wilson is that for me this season. Senior Bowl dude.

2nd Round: (GB's #58)
  • Selection: T'Vondre Sweat: DT (Texas): 6'4: 362 lbs: He's a tough one for me but I'm rolling with it because of his unique attributes. He's big as hell and unlike some of the other big-ass dudes like Mazi Smith and Siaki Ika from last season -- Sweat runs a high motor. The reason I'm conflicted about this pick is because he is most likely not going to play that many snaps. You're probably not optimizing the value of the 2nd round. But Sweat is an absolute monster against the run. He had over a 90 grade for his run defense by PFF. I think I feel comfortable with him in the later 2nd round. Senior Bowl dude.

3rd Round: (Native #78)
  • Selection: Malik Washington WR (Virginia): 5'9: 190 lbs: He's killing the Shrine Bowl. No one can stay in front of him. The WR class is loaded. Malik Washington give the Hawks another weapon. He was among the leader in route separation in the entire country. He can run some routes. Although he is short, he has a very stocky build. I think he's going to drop to the 2nd/3rd rounds because of his height and I don't think he's going to light up the 40 yard dash. I know we have Tyler, DK, JSN, and Bobo but I can't help but tap into the strength of the class. Washington is dynamic with the ball in his hands. He'll add a lot of YAC to the WR room.

3rd Round: (Native #81)
  • Selection: Brandon Coleman OT/G (TCU): 6'6: 320 lbs: He's athletic. Since we skipped the first round OTs -- I'm targeting Colemon here. I'm afraid he might rise even higher than this by the draft. He made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' and runs over 18 mph for an Olinemen. He'll challenge for the LG spot and he can be a back up to Abe Lucas in case Abe is injured again next season. He needs to be meaner in the run game but I like his upside, size, and athleticism. He struggled against speed guys as an OT so a move inside might benefit him.

5th Round: (Native#150)
  • Selection: AJ Barner TE (Michigan): 6'6: 251 lbs: He's not a burner. He reminds me of a faster version of Will Dissly. He was a top 3 blocking TE in college this past season. You get a chance at a dominant blocking TE. Hugely under utilized as a pass catcher and I think he'll surprise in this area. You can still bring back Parkinson or Fant but replace Dissly with Barner is huge in the run game for me. Again, I think he's going to rise before this is all said and done. He might even go in the 3rd round and I wouldn't mind picking him in the 3rd instead of Coleman. Senior Bowl dude.

6th Round: (Native #193)
  • Selection: Malik Mustapha S (Wake Forest): 5'10: 205 lbs: Another Feldman's 'Freaks List.' The heart and soul of the Wake Forest defense. He plays his heart on his sleeve. This dude is a missile to the ball. Gives 0 f***s about his health. He has some versatility. He can play in the box, nickle, or play high safety. Senior Bowl dude.

7th Round: (Native #232)
  • Selection: Elijah Jones CB (Boston College): 6'2: 180 lbs: Talll, lanky, ok speed. He shows a lot of effort in the run game. Solid CB prospect. Tre Brown is a FA after the 2024 season and you can always use another aggressive CB in the fold. He is pretty grabby and doesn't have deep speed. He reminds me of Jeremy Lane. He'll be at the Senior Bowl.

Uhm hard pass in a 24 yr old rookie LB, w/ neck injury issues, in the 1st round. We hopefully have stopped the Sunday morning charity event. With wasted feel good picks on guys Griffen & Hall. We need legit Dawgs w/ no medical or background history ready to start day 1 with our 1-3 rd picks. Can't screw around with our high capital picks. Hopefully J/S digs back into his GB roots and we start building this team through the draft, and starts in the trenches!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like the overall makeup of this mock. I'd probably flip the order of some picks and try to beef up the OL in the 1st and look for a LB in the 3rd. Thanks for putting the time in.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Uhm hard pass in a 24 yr old rookie LB, w/ neck injury issues, in the 1st round. We hopefully have stopped the Sunday morning charity event. With wasted feel good picks on guys Griffen & Hall. We need legit Dawgs w/ no medical or background history ready to start day 1 with our 1-3 rd picks. Can't screw around with our high capital picks. Hopefully J/S digs back into his GB roots and we start building this team through the draft, and starts in the trenches!

Sure.

However I think we should be more open minded towards Wilson. I think he's probably one of the most impactful defensive players in the draft.

It's a risk. I understand that. We should genuinely discuss him though without completely dismissing it.

It's the reason why I put him in the first. I could have gone with an easy or safe pick but I really do think he will actually change our defense if his health checks out.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I like the overall makeup of this mock. I'd probably flip the order of some picks and try to beef up the OL in the 1st and look for a LB in the 3rd. Thanks for putting the time in.

That's fair. I just think getting a really unique LB first is better. Right now I'm putting him in the first because I anticipate a major rise after the Senior Bowl and Combine. Wilson should light up both.

The OT/G/C class is much deeper. Plus I think there are free agents you can sign from other teams.

I wouldn't be mad at all if they do indeed draft OLine. It's a different flavor mock.

Chevy

Reaction score
I fully expect the push back about Wilson. To me, it's simple. He's a top 15 to top 20 talent in the whole draft. He's the complete package. Everything is there. The sacks, the INTs, the PDs, the coverage grade.

If he does slip then that confirms teams feel weary about his shoulders and knee. But right now in the early mock -- I see what I see. A complete bad ass worthy of a first round grade and selection. You won't see another impact player like that from the defensive side besides maybe Jer'Zhan Newton or Cooper DeJean. Yes it is bold and risky. Until his medicals don't check out then I'm rolling with the talent.

I just can't un-see what he did on tape and on his highlights. Not many defensive guys in this class made me go wow. A lot more on the offensive side though.

That's a fair take. No one is dismissing your selection of him in the 1st round.

Past injury history is still something that has to be taken into account even if the player has passed medical checks. Some GM's are more risk averse than others, so are draftniks that put out mocks or like talking prospects.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Yup. Right now, I'm going for impact on defense. The defensive players here are risky and have warts but they are unique and they are impactful on tape. If the team is indeed in on MacDonald then I think these are the type of players he'll want. He needs smart and aggressive players for his do everything scheme.

Plenty will change though. I can completely see the Hawks taking a QB first if they sign some OLine. With Schneider fully in charge -- will things change? Pete clearly valued the secondary and TEs and invested a lot of money in that area. Will JS actually pony up and pay a Center now? An impactful Center is so important to a line. Can they pry Andre James away rom the Raiders?

12forlife

Reaction score
Sure.

However I think we should be more open minded towards Wilson. I think he's probably one of the most impactful defensive players in the draft.

It's a risk. I understand that. We should genuinely discuss him though without completely dismissing it.

It's the reason why I put him in the first. I could have gone with an easy or safe pick but I really do think he will actually change our defense if his health checks out.
I agree with you 💯! He is the kinda Dawgs we should be looking for, I just get Chancellor vibes, w/ the neck?

I dont think @ #16 you have to take a "safe" pick? Plenty of guys could be available that can make Immediate impacts, like QB, DeJean S, Newton DT, Fuaga OT.

If we trade down I hope specifically it's to gain draft capital, and draft T'Vondre Sweat DL! He is this drafts Veta Vea!

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
Nice mock. Not a fan of a few of the choices currently where they are at but so many things will have people jump up boards and fall down boards between now and late April. This is my favorite time of year, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding our coaching staff. With such a deep draft I would love to trade down from #16 and pick up a 2nd or even get someone’s 1st this year and next. The latter seems less likely but it’s possible

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Nice mock. Not a fan of a few of the choices currently where they are at but so many things will have people jump up boards and fall down boards between now and late April. This is my favorite time of year, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding our coaching staff. With such a deep draft I would love to trade down from #16 and pick up a 2nd or even get someone’s 1st this year and next. The latter seems less likely but it’s possible

Yeah. I would say a lot of this draft is skewed towards the defensive side. That is because I think the team is in on MacDonald. Looking at the Ravens defense -- I'm just trying to find some pieces that fit a MacDonald type of defense.

Chevy

Reaction score
MacDonald is probably going to want a legit NT. He had former 1st round pick NT Mazi Smith at Michigan and he has a couple of monster NTs in Michael Pierce and Travis Jones at Baltimore. Both Pierce and Jones are big and had great 10-yard splits coming out of college.

There are two really good NT in this draft and one of which is in this mock draft.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
MacDonald is probably going to want a legit NT. He had former 1st round pick NT Mazi Smith at Michigan and he has a couple of monster NTs in Michael Pierce and Travis Jones at Baltimore. Both Pierce and Jones are big and had great 10-yard splits coming out of college.

There are two really good NT in this draft and one of which is in this mock draft.

Michael Pierce has been a big contributor to that defense. Sweat fits that mold for sure. You also need smart and fast LBs -- which Payton is. He's not the only one but he is my favorite one.

Chevy

Reaction score
He has a lot of good players on the Baltimore defense. He also has an All-Pro safety, that is incredibly versatile.