More Cover 2 this year?

endzorn

Reaction score
Jake Heaps has made mention multiple times that Seattle has played far more two high safety looks in OTAs than ever before. What I wonder is if Seattle might use Cover 2 more in base defense against teams trying to spread us out. This would minimize the need for great man coverage from our corners and Seattle could get a little bigger at safety because the deep two only have to cover half the field rather than Earl going sideline to sideline. We have an outstanding MLB who can drop deeper in coverage than most also. Maybe the idea is to be able to bring the back four downhill and punish receivers (the Blair pick?) rather than exposing the coverage weaknesses we had with single high coverage after Earl was hurt.

We need something new against LA because they crushed us with crossing routes underneath the cover 3. We also need to start thinking about the things Arizona will try. I’d expect far more disguises where we use more two deep and maybe a shift to interchangeable safeties.

chris98251

Reaction score
endzorn":2x9n2g8m said:
Jake Heaps has made mention multiple times that Seattle has played far more two high safety looks in OTAs than ever before. What I wonder is if Seattle might use Cover 2 more in base defense against teams trying to spread us out. This would minimize the need for great man coverage from our corners and Seattle could get a little bigger at safety because the deep two only have to cover half the field rather than Earl going sideline to sideline. We have an outstanding MLB who can drop deeper in coverage than most also. Maybe the idea is to be able to bring the back four downhill and punish receivers (the Blair pick?) rather than exposing the coverage weaknesses we had with single high coverage after Earl was hurt.

We need something new against LA because they crushed us with crossing routes underneath the cover 3. We also need to start thinking about the things Arizona will try. I’d expect far more disguises where we use more two deep and maybe a shift to interchangeable safeties.
A team like LA Bandit package, Big dime I would call it if you have Both Griffins out there and he can cover or rush.

Tical21

Reaction score
We did do a lot better with the bear front and man coverage against LA. Matty Brown is adamant we will run more 2-deep, and Mcadougald and Blair are probably great 2-deep fits, but I still see us majoring in cover-3.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yes without a insanely quick instinctive FS like Earl to trust to be your one high safety centerfielder covering all that ground, and to a lesser degree a hitter like Kam dropping down into the box covering TE's AND Sherman locking an entire side of the field down..........I can see why Pete wants to employ more traditional cover 2 schemes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32dixrq8 said:
Yes without a insanely quick instinctive FS like Earl to trust to be your one high safety centerfielder covering all that ground, and to a lesser degree a hitter like Kam dropping down into the box covering TE's AND Sherman locking an entire side of the field down..........I can see why Pete wants to employ more traditional cover 2 schemes.

Not as much D line pressure either, also for the reasons above as well as current personnel

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":n5sb1z16 said:
Sgt. Largent":n5sb1z16 said:

Not as much D line pressure either, also for the reasons above as well as current personnel

Good point, not even Earl in his prime could cover receivers without a pass rush.

Bottom line though, I trust Pete implicitly on the defensive side of the ball. It's his expertise, especially defensive backfield. He'll make sure the back end of the defense is solid. Just have to find the right personnel, of which I do think with Flowers in his 2nd year, Blair added as hopefully a big hitter............and IMO one of the picks we're going to be pleasantly surprised with is Amadi as a great nickel cover corner.

McGruff

Reaction score
Against horizontal teams like the Rams and Chiefs, single high looks get exposed.

And aside from Ugo, we dont have anyone who look or plays like a single high safety.

cdallan

Reaction score
Actually, I think Matty made reference to us playing more matched quarters last year. You can't play single high with Tedric Thompson

McGruff

Reaction score
cdallan":39ftfsci said:
Actually, I think Matty made reference to us playing more matched quarters last year. You can't play single high with Tedric Thompson

We tried. And against stock and trade teams, hes servicable.

But any team that extensively targets the flats on screens and flares and sweeps toasted us, because we dont have range in the middle of the field

McGruff

Reaction score
The primary problem for us running the cover 2 or variances of it is that it is susceptible to power running . . . Which may in part explain both our struggles last year, Nd our commitment to beefing up front this off season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tampa 2 is most successful when you have a great D line, but then again most defenses are when the QB has less time and you shut down the interior.

legend38

Reaction score
No choice really. Not a lot of Safeties outside of E.T. have the speed to cover the back end by themselves.

knownone

Reaction score
legend38":2xwh0jhi said:
No choice really. Not a lot of Safeties outside of E.T. have the speed to cover the back end by themselves.
Didn't we draft a kid with pretty good range?

McGruff

Reaction score
knownone":310roa8m said:
legend38":310roa8m said:
Didn't we draft a kid with pretty good range?

Ugo and Blair are both rangy. Not sure if either will play FS though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thanks Acer! :2thumbs:

I noticed through 2012 -14, Bobby Wagner would rush the QB more often than he had the past couple of years. I wonder if they will get back to that more this season. Now that they have a healthy Wright and Kendricks, they can use Bobby more creatively.