Derick Hall this year

rjdriver

Reaction score
First off, I know there is an adjustment period in the NFL at edge. I'm not saying he won't work out and I'm not saying he was a bad pick per se. I root like hell for him and always will if there's a Seahawk on his helmet.

But..

I really fell in love with his character, his family, and his story in the post draft hype. Maybe I had overly high expectations. That said he was pick #37 in the entire draft. That's damn near first round.

So far, his year to date 2023 production has been.

26 Tackles
0 Sacks
0 Forced Fumbles
0 Int's

Now, I love football as much as any but know it far less than many. My perspective is this is very underwhelming and dare I say disappointing. I was hoping for more.

Is this a fair take or do I just not understand the schemes, playing time, and adaptation required to click in the league? Is everyone here fine for with his progression/ contribution or am I just an outlier unable to see the full picture?

renofox

Reaction score
First off, I know there is an adjustment period in the NFL at edge. I'm not saying he won't work out and I'm not saying he was a bad pick per se. I root like hell for him and always will if there's a Seahawk on his helmet.

But..

I really fell in love with his character, his family, and his story in the post draft hype. Maybe I had overly high expectations. That said he was pick #37 in the entire draft. That's damn near first round.

So far, his year to date 2023 production has been.

26 Tackles
0 Sacks
0 Forced Fumbles
0 Int's

Now, I love football as much as any but know it far less than many. My perspective is this is very underwhelming and dare I say disappointing. I was hoping for more.

Is this a fair take or do I just not understand the schemes, playing time, and adaptation required to click in the league? Is everyone here fine for with his progression/ contribution or am I just an outlier unable to see the full picture?
When you're only getting 4-6 snaps per game as a rookie, it's pretty hard to get in a groove and show anything.

Not saying he's going to be good. Just saying we have no idea. Then again, I don't expect the coaches to elevate his play. The opposite is usually the case, even on the lines. I give you Damien Lewis - drafted by the Seahawks and played very well his 1st year, and has steadily regressed since.

When was the last time Seattle drafted a lineman (O or D) who consistently progressed?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think playing time has at least a little to do with it. Leonard Williams already has more snaps on defense than Hall and he's only been here for what 6 games? It seems like this team always eases these drafted edge rushers in the first season, I could be wrong, don't feel like looking it up.

CactusJack

Reaction score
He was a reach. I thought he was taken a round too early.

Now, Mafe got off to a slow start his first year. So maybe the light will come on for him as well. But I would not have taken him that early.

I was much higher on guys like Brian Branch, John Michael Schmitz, etc.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
To be fair, they said he was a developmental player coming out. He's just been thrust into more playing time because of Nwosu's injury.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
When was the last time Seattle drafted a lineman (O or D) who consistently progressed?
C'Mon @renofox , That's easy, there's a ton, you're being hyperbolic.

(thinking)

There's...Hold on, having a 50 y/o brain fart.

(thinking)

Umm..

(me thinking)

(still thinking)

(starting to sweat)

Jones?

(thinking)

Tez?

bileever

Reaction score
As a point of comparison, Boye Mafe (40th pick in 2022) was also underwhelming in his first year, with 41 tackles and 3 sacks. Mafe has been better this year, although pretty quiet in the last 4 games.

morgulon1

Reaction score
As a point of comparison, Boye Mafe (40th pick in 2022) was also underwhelming in his first year, with 41 tackles and 3 sacks. Mafe has been better this year, although pretty quiet in the last 4 games.
I was thinking about that. My theory is with Nwousu being hurt , it's come at the cost of the guys left playing. Teams are able to take a deep breath and concentrate on who's playing without the worry Nwousu would bring.

That's not a slight on the younger fellows.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
dude how many snaps total does he have? it's not very many. it might be less than 40 for the entire year.

bileever

Reaction score
I was thinking about that. My theory is with Nwousu being hurt , it's come at the cost of the guys left playing. Teams are able to take a deep breath and concentrate on who's playing without the worry Nwousu would bring.

That's not a slight on the younger fellows.
I think you're right. Mafe was on a roll until the other teams figured out they had to account for him, and with no Nwosu, he's been neutralized. Even with Leonard Wiliams, the D line has been a disappointment this year, to put it mildly.

renofox

Reaction score
PC has been playing his overpaid, underperformed vets over his developmental talent ever since he was actually bold and named RW the starter.

Sherman only saw the field due to injury, and he was a revelation from day 1.

It took Haynes being the lowest rated guard in the NFL for weeks to finally see some Bradford.

Brown started out as a mid-rated center but has been regressing for half the season. Not just regressing - he is playing so bad that in only half a season he's gone from mid-rated to #32 on the season. Olu is mostly on the bench even though he's equal to early season good-enough Brown.

Where's Bryant? He was making mistakes here and there but otherwise kicking ass last year.

Why hasn't Kmac got at least 1 snap? DJ Dallas? Really?

Tyreke Smith? Worse than Frank Clark and Daryl Taylor?

J Reed before injury? Worse than Adams and Diggs?

Where's the snaps for Cam Young. Instead he's wearing out our DL by having them play 80%+ of snaps. Idiotic.

I could go on and on, but this is already a too long insane rant. I'll shut up now.

cymatica

Reaction score
PC has been playing his overpaid, underperformed vets over his developmental talent ever since he was actually bold and named RW the starter.

Sherman only saw the field due to injury, and he was a revelation from day 1.

It took Haynes being the lowest rated guard in the NFL for weeks to finally see some Bradford.

Brown started out as a mid-rated center but has been regressing for half the season. Not just regressing - he is playing so bad that in only half a season he's gone from mid-rated to #32 on the season. Olu is mostly on the bench even though he's equal to early season good-enough Brown.

Where's Bryant? He was making mistakes here and there but otherwise kicking ass last year.

Why hasn't Kmac got at least 1 snap? DJ Dallas? Really?

Tyreke Smith? Worse than Frank Clark and Daryl Taylor?

J Reed before injury? Worse than Adams and Diggs?

Where's the snaps for Cam Young. Instead he's wearing out our DL by having them play 80%+ of snaps. Idiotic.

I could go on and on, but this is already a too long insane rant. I'll shut up now.
Kenny McIntosh is the one I'm not happy about. There's no excuse, except for bad coaching, to not give him at least 1 snap. Someone in the media should have hounded Pete about this while he was calling out his players.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He was a reach. I thought he was taken a round too early.

Now, Mafe got off to a slow start his first year. So maybe the light will come on for him as well. But I would not have taken him that early.

I was much higher on guys like Brian Branch, John Michael Schmitz, etc.
Me too as were most people.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Mafe was the same way. His first year you almost forgot he was on the team. This year he's been one of the best players on the defense. Hopefully Hall has the same kinda of sophomore season. Give it some time.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Wasn't he limited in camp/pre this year? I'll reserve judgement for season 2-3 with a guy like hall. Just think he needs his fair shake, not sure he's had his number called up. Seattle could use his potential leadership in the lockeroom.