How much is Wilson allowed to call plays

xray

Reaction score
I ask because I don't have a clue of what he is allowed to do as far as play calls. It seems that he isn't allowed much leeway. He is however allowed to run for his life in any direction he chooses . Does anyone know for sure what's up with that?

justafan

Reaction score
I have never seen anything about that. But even in 2 min offense the headsets are on. The plan is in place and the plays they like and want to run have already been put in place. Wilson isnt just winging it,

I do feel that players on the field need to get better at line calls,protections and presnap reads. They have enough experience to handle it.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
xray":3pru8ck8 said:
I ask because I don't have a clue of what he is allowed to do as far as play calls. It seems that he isn't allowed much leeway. He is however allowed to run for his life in any direction he chooses . Does anyone know for sure what's up with that?

I guess seeing him in the last pre-season game with the headset and calling plays that were successful ; made me wonder does he get that power in a real game ?

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
justafan":2x9s5f1j said:
I have never seen anything about that. But even in 2 min offense the headsets are on. The plan is in place and the plays they like and want to run have already been put in place. Wilson isnt just winging it,

I do feel that players on the field need to get better at line calls,protections and presnap reads. They have enough experience to handle it.

If Wilson calls the play he isn't "winging " it. Its a play call isn't it?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Call plays... in the huddle? That’s what the OC is for. Wilson gets to audible. In the past the OC called in two initial plays.
What QB calls their own plays? That’s more of a past era.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Basis4day":1813xefq said:
Call plays... in the huddle? That’s what the OC is for. Wilson gets to audible. In the past the OC called in two initial plays.
I don't mean total control of the offense...so he gets what every QB in the NFL as far as play calls ?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Basis4day":q7fpmxez said:
Peyton Manning did. The play call from the OC was merely a suggestion.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Because of evolutions in the passing game most teams don't call audibles the way we still think about and talk about audibles.

Save for gadget and gimmick plays (which are taking up much larger swaths of playbooks than they have in the past) most modern passing plays have route combos on either side of the formation that are designed to beat different coverages.

The "front side" of the play is defined by what the defense is showing once you get to the line of scrimmage. If you correctly diagnose the defense who you throw to on that side of the field is defined by what the key defender who you're trying to put in conflict does. For that reason, save for checkdowns QBs are really only going through what used to be "progressions" if they've misdiagnosed the defense pre-snap (it's why when you see modern QBs going through progressions they're always turning all the way to the other side of the field rather than progressing on the same side of the field -- as reading a key defender and throwing to one receiver and not the other isn't really a progression).

Long story short, the only "audibles" that still really exist that much for most teams are changing from run to pass and vice-versa, which is based on the box count. I'd be incredibly surprised if Wilson didn't have the power to do this.

justafan

Reaction score
xray":is1j7mo2 said:
xray":is1j7mo2 said:

I guess seeing him in the last pre-season game with the headset and calling plays that were successful ; made me wonder does he get that power in a real game ?

There has been assumptions that he is calling the plays in the 2 minute offense. I dont think its that cut and dried. I am sure there are plays they favor in that situation with a plan in place and Schotty is still in his ear. What i was meaning by winging it was Wilson isnt just calling whatever he wants. Just my opinion.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Wasn't that one of the reasons Aaron Rogers wanted the previous coach gone was so he could call some plays? If all world AR doesn't call plays why would RW be calling plays? It seems to me that it's just not something that is done all that much in today's NFL.

Tical21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2o2c2tj8 said:
Because of evolutions in the passing game most teams don't call audibles the way we still think about and talk about audibles.

Save for gadget and gimmick plays (which are taking up much larger swaths of playbooks than they have in the past) most modern passing plays have route combos on either side of the formation that are designed to beat different coverages.

The "front side" of the play is defined by what the defense is showing once you get to the line of scrimmage. If you correctly diagnose the defense who you throw to on that side of the field is defined by what the key defender who you're trying to put in conflict does. For that reason, save for checkdowns QBs are really only going through what used to be "progressions" if they've misdiagnosed the defense pre-snap (it's why when you see modern QBs going through progressions they're always turning all the way to the other side of the field rather than progressing on the same side of the field -- as reading a key defender and throwing to one receiver and not the other isn't really a progression).

Long story short, the only "audibles" that still really exist that much for most teams are changing from run to pass and vice-versa, which is based on the box count. I'd be incredibly surprised if Wilson didn't have the power to do this.
He does. Yet he almost exclusively audibles to the run. He does change routes from time to time, usually when he sees cover-0 and wants to get a shot to somebody.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TreeRon":1uv4yh7b said:
Wasn't that one of the reasons Aaron Rogers wanted the previous coach gone was so he could call some plays? If all world AR doesn't call plays why would RW be calling plays? It seems to me that it's just not something that is done all that much in today's NFL.

The tension with Rodgers as I recall was that in the huddle he was flat out calling different plays than the ones that were radioed in. An example of this would be the Packers are playing the Seahawks who are running a lot of cover three, so the OC calls in a play that has a Yankee concept on one side of the play to beat Cover 3, but Rodgers ignores it and decides he'd rather run a dagger on that side for whatever reason.

Everyone across the entire NFL runs the same route combos and agrees which route combos beat which coverages, but with Rodgers it was just a battle of wills over if the OC or Rodgers got to pick which route combo to use. That's a mess and pretty unsustainable.

That's really different from what we're talking about though.

Remember how Peyton Manning used to redirect all the routes and plays from the line of scrimmage after seeing what the defense was showing. He did that a lot but practically every QB was doing it at least some of the time.

You rarely if ever see QBs doing that anymore because modern passing concept design has already done that work for the QB before he gets to the line.

Instead of all that pointing and gesticulating and adjustment you now just hear one word calls to shift from pass to run or to adjust blocking assignments as based on how the defense has lined up in the box.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":229c1q3h said:
Basis4day":229c1q3h said:
Peyton Manning did. The play call from the OC was merely a suggestion.
And probably why Wilson was getting into the Peyton Manning metrics...I doubt that he was just doing it for s#its & giggles. 8)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
QBs used to call the plays, but they would get concussed and continue to play, making some terrible decisions. The job was given to guys who don't get hit in the head.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
So Schotty via Carroll are basically responsible for all plays and Wilson is just along for the ride . Must be frustrating for Wilson to be locked into that situation a lot of the time . He's one of the few QBs that can take over a game without much sideline input at all .IMO

Torc

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":18850clo said:
QBs used to call the plays, but they would get concussed and continue to play, making some terrible decisions. The job was given to guys who don't get hit in the head.

I would think that even in the modern more concussion-aware NFL, that a QB who just took a big hit and needs a moment to shake it off would adversely affect him trying to call plays. It doesn't take quite as much concentration to listen to the OC in those situations. It may only be a few seconds but that's a lot of time when the 25 second clock is running.