Get anything for Reed?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Simple, maybe dumb question, but is there anyone out that there say, with a disgruntled vet receiver or something? Is Reed of value that a team would trade before he's FA?

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Reed's a UFA now, right? Or is he still under team control for a year?

I'd have a hard time giving up one of our best DL even though he underperformed this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Yep, Reed is currently a UFA. He could come back if we give him the best offer but as a rule most UFAs end up on other teams.

Quinton Jefferson is also a UFA and I think the team may be more comfortable resigning him, signing a veteran DT run stuffer (or two) from another team, and then giving more snaps to Poona Ford and Bryan Mone. I suspect that Collier will also see some playing time at 3 technique on passing downs next season.

If we're spending big on the DL in free agency I would expect that to come at DE.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Reed could be franchise tagged and traded a la Frank Clark.
Not sure that's a great idea as he's not really a top 5 DT in the league. I think he's more like a top 20 tackle and I'm not sure what the value of a top 20 guy is.

justafan

Reaction score
Last year I thought he was a must sign. Dts with pass rush abilities are hard to find. The D had me thinking screw em all none deserve to be here but I think he has earned a contract but less than he would have got last year. I think he does have trade value under franchise tag but I wouldnt want to lose the cap space if it doesnt work out and we keep him

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hopefully post suspension and not a great season, he'll be a bit cheaper than he otherwise would have been.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I bet we resign him.

Honestly after the year he just had and the suspension I doubt other teams are lining up to throw money at him. Only he knows if 2 years ago was a perfect storm for
Sacks and maybe cash in based off what looks to be the real him or he could bet on himself and do a 1 year deal to build up value.

I’d be scared if he signed with the hawks long term for cheap because that means he’s cashing in and not betting on himself. Hard to say what his trajectory is but I really don’t think you can give him too much. If he’s over 10 per I think you go a different direction because you can get Al Woods for 3 mill that’s 7 mill u could put towards a DE that can pass rush

kf3339

Reaction score
AgentDib":9eukis2w said:
Yep, Reed is currently a UFA. He could come back if we give him the best offer but as a rule most UFAs end up on other teams.

Quinton Jefferson is also a UFA and I think the team may be more comfortable resigning him, signing a veteran DT run stuffer (or two) from another team, and then giving more snaps to Poona Ford and Bryan Mone. I suspect that Collier will also see some playing time at 3 technique on passing downs next season.

If we're spending big on the DL in free agency I would expect that to come at DE.

I am leaning this way as well. Jefferson is the more priority signing in my book. He is able to push the pocket and had more hurries, sacks and PD's than Reed. In addition, he will come with a much more reasonable price.

Reed went back to being his old self this season. Nothing wrong with that, but we have Ford and Mone to fill that role, in addition to Al Wood who should come back with a low veteran contract.

If it was me I would sign Clowney, Jefferson, Wood and then try to snag a true quality DE in free agency who is more the proven pass rusher we need. That even allows us to draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft.

hawks85

Reaction score
kf3339":xxl7vxcy said:
AgentDib":xxl7vxcy said:

I am leaning this way as well. Jefferson is the more priority signing in my book. He is able to push the pocket and had more hurries, sacks and PD's than Reed. In addition, he will come with a much more reasonable price.

Reed went back to being his old self this season. Nothing wrong with that, but we have Ford and Mone to fill that role, in addition to Al Wood who should come back with a low veteran contract.

If it was me I would sign Clowney, Jefferson, Wood and then try to snag a true quality DE in free agency who is more the proven pass rusher we need. That even allows us to draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft.

What about Ansah? Is he under contract? I can't remember if he was signed to a 1 year deal or a 3 year deal.

seabowl

Reaction score
hawks85":jknxr9ci said:
kf3339":jknxr9ci said:
AgentDib":jknxr9ci said:

What about Ansah? Is he under contract? I can't remember if he was signed to a 1 year deal or a 3 year deal.

One and DONE thank the good heavans.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1wusxs0c said:
Reed could be franchise tagged and traded a la Frank Clark.
Not sure that's a great idea as he's not really a top 5 DT in the league. I think he's more like a top 20 tackle and I'm not sure what the value of a top 20 guy is.

Even top 20 is a stretch... Sacks in career:

Can't really give a guy top 20 money for 1 good season in his career.
I would sign him to a team friendly deal around 6-8MM per year for a few years though.

xray

Reaction score
He had 1 great season with 10 sacks . That might of been a fluke though . He was wanting 10 mill per last year but he is a 5 mill player at best . Let him walk .

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a UFA now. He can resign with Seattle at this point. But there is no incentive for him to do that. Failing that, the team has the option to franchise him before the new league year starts. That's not likely either.

He'll most likely get on the open market at which point, it'll be highest bidder. Don't expect him to be signed in the first wave of signees. Seattle likely will lose him, but have a chance to resign him if the market is cool. Which may be the case, as the DL group of UFAs is pretty decent this year. It's not a bad year to let your UFA DL test the market and come back for a reasonable figure.

Depending on UFAs we sign, which is likely to be significant -- I would not expect a comp pick in return.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think the idea that Reed taking less for a longer term being indicative of him not believing in himself is a bit of a misread. Players are not stupid, but their agents are greedy. Players are acutely aware of the law of averages in terms of NFL career longevity. Having the security afforded by a longer term deal is a very attractive option, especially when a cash big NOW deal is not readily available.
"Bird in the hand"...but a bush can support a lot more birds.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
he should be cheap to re -sign. got suspended for 6 games then when he comes back he's shows absolutely nothing. Disaster contract year for Reed. nobody is going to give him the money he wants.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Article posted 1/22 on Reed negotiation stance.
[color=#FFFF00]https://seahawkswire...witter-clarify-contract-expectations/[/color]

The remedy shown for increasing available cap does not add up as it creates additional problems to resolve, the resolution of which would like cost as much or more than whatever "relief" they provide.
Reed evidently values himself at the premier level. I like him, but not at the price he says he's shooting for. I don't think his contribution is worth Britt and Fluker combined, that's for sure.