Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:36 am
  • Barnwell gives a few (three) options on how a free agent decision will trickle through the rest of the league. He does this for Clowney signing elsewhere. Thoughts on the possible outcomes? Do you have a preference? I don't like option 2.

    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... move-chaos
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107089
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 am
  • 4 years $92mil for Fowler? Yikes..

    Oh and for the record, I dont think Clowney resigns here.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3404
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm
  • If Clowney want to be here i think a deal gets done even if means overpaying at the expense of a KJ, Justin Britt or resigning Reed. The fact the they went out and got Clowney even on a sweetheart deal shows Pete and John love Clowney.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4227
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:10 pm
  • getnasty wrote:If Clowney want to be here i think a deal gets done even if means overpaying at the expense of a KJ, Justin Britt or resigning Reed. The fact the they went out and got Clowney even on a sweetheart deal shows Pete and John love Clowney.

    I don't really agree. Hawks were desperate for pass rush help and the Texans needed to get something for clowny. I don't see the hawks selling out to sign clowny. It goes against everything that I've seen over the last 10 years.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 958
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:13 pm
  • HawkerD wrote:
    getnasty wrote:If Clowney want to be here i think a deal gets done even if means overpaying at the expense of a KJ, Justin Britt or resigning Reed. The fact the they went out and got Clowney even on a sweetheart deal shows Pete and John love Clowney.

    I don't really agree. Hawks were desperate for pass rush help and the Texans needed to get something for clowny. I don't see the hawks selling out to sign clowny. It goes against everything that I've seen over the last 10 years.



    Agreed.

    I think Pete and John have a hard line number they are willing to go to, but not above.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3404
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:59 pm
  • That whole thing was so far out there... I feel like I just orbited Pluto!
    Where does ESPN find these people?
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1282
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:59 pm
  • Wartooth wrote:That whole thing was so far out there... I feel like I just orbited Pluto!
    Where does ESPN find these people?



    It’s the off-season, gotta write about something. That being said, Barnwell is anything but out there IMO. He has to be one of the most knowledge, objective writers in the industry. The guy knows the NFL. He can talk about ANY team in the league with the same fluency as a local beat writer.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2047
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:36 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:
    getnasty wrote:If Clowney want to be here i think a deal gets done even if means overpaying at the expense of a KJ, Justin Britt or resigning Reed. The fact the they went out and got Clowney even on a sweetheart deal shows Pete and John love Clowney.

    I don't really agree. Hawks were desperate for pass rush help and the Texans needed to get something for clowny. I don't see the hawks selling out to sign clowny. It goes against everything that I've seen over the last 10 years.



    Agreed.

    I think Pete and John have a hard line number they are willing to go to, but not above.


    Having a hard line number they can't go above is built into the NFL system for every team. The Wilson contract puts stress on that number for us, and we have others with formidable contracts as well. I think it's a matter of "want to" for both Clowney and the Seahawks. If it isn't a two-way feeling it won't happen. If it is, it will. All indications from both parties up to now point in that direction.
    I'm all in for it to happen, but not to an extent that is detrimental to building our team. No one player is worth that, not even Russ.
    Appyhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 505
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:32 pm
  • A team can be built for nearly any price but a winning team's going to cost bucks. Impact players aren't found cheap.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1104
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:
    getnasty wrote:If Clowney want to be here i think a deal gets done even if means overpaying at the expense of a KJ, Justin Britt or resigning Reed. The fact the they went out and got Clowney even on a sweetheart deal shows Pete and John love Clowney.

    I don't really agree. Hawks were desperate for pass rush help and the Texans needed to get something for clowny. I don't see the hawks selling out to sign clowny. It goes against everything that I've seen over the last 10 years.



    Agreed.

    I think Pete and John have a hard line number they are willing to go to, but not above.


    Having a hard line number they can't go above is built into the NFL system for every team. The Wilson contract puts stress on that number for us, and we have others with formidable contracts as well. I think it's a matter of "want to" for both Clowney and the Seahawks. If it isn't a two-way feeling it won't happen. If it is, it will. All indications from both parties up to now point in that direction.
    I'm all in for it to happen, but not to an extent that is detrimental to building our team. No one player is worth that, not even Russ.


    So I was playing with OTC earlier today, and I honestly feel if Clowney would take 20.5 maybe 21 tops. We could get him, plus the other pieces we need. (A few cuts need to happen, saving a few million on honestly fodder numbers that they currently show) and stay within cap to sign our draft prospects and UD draft prospects.

    Some of this course depends on the price of Jefferson (Who I think we should resign for a moderate price and let reed walk), Kendricks, Britt. (Those last two are still up in the air on what kind of contract they are going to get I feel personally)

    and ...Dare I say it... Ifedi? Though I would like to see Jones develop to that position instead


    One of those ESPN picks on that article had him going to the Ravens taking a "Team friendly deal to be with a competitor". Which literally went against what he said.. He wants money, and he wants to win. Period. Ravens have less than half the cap room we do, I just don't see them being a contender unless they make some big moves.
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 55
    Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:41 pm


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 am
  • Be thankful that SF or KC don't have the $ to take Clowney . Remember ; he is looking to sign with a SB contender now . If he doesn't see the Hawks getting back there very soon he will probably walk regardless of the $ offered . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1693
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 am
  • "Be thankful that SF or KC don't have the $ to take Clowney . Remember ; he is looking to sign with a SB contender now."

    OK. I'm trying to identify a SB contender that is in better cap shape than Seattle. Having trouble finding one. At the same time Seattle may have more holes to fill than many of the other contenders, which evens things out in that competition.
    We continually hear that pro football is a business, with money being the bottom line determining factor for all decisions. But that didn't seem to be the case for Clowney landing in Seattle. That also didn't seem to be the case for his comments after being here for awhile when he stated that the atmosphere in the Seattle locker room was unlike anything he has previously experienced. He seemed adamant that was an important factor to him. He made a point of making a personal visit to Schneider's office after locker cleanout to implant his satisfaction with his time here and desire to continue.
    Any team that offers him an amazing amount of money to come play for them will have to hedge on what he is surrounded with in terms of supporting teammates. He has to know that and understand what that will mean in terms of being a "contender".
    Seems to me Seattle is a top Clowney condertender on all counts.
    Appyhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 505
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Free Agent Dominos (Clowney Related)
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:
    OK. I'm trying to identify a SB contender that is in better cap shape than Seattle.



    Bills have $81mil of cap space. If Brady does fly the nest, that division is theirs.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3404
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle




It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online