Keeping it real. Blowing up the team talk is nonsense.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Seymour":370jdwf7 said:
imnKOgnito":370jdwf7 said:
Seymour":370jdwf7 said:
imnKOgnito":370jdwf7 said:
We lost the game because Wilson spotted the Falcons 14 points. I don't hear many people clamoring to replace Wilson.

Wilson let the DT by and pummeled himself for the strip 6 sack? Wilson gave up the 35 yards for the TD after the pick?

Nope, in fact Wilson made the TD saving tackle. Yes, he has some blame, but so do others.

Of course that has nothing to do with my post that Cable needs to go. :roll:

Wilson has thrown two of the worst interceptions I've ever seen him throw in the last two home games. As for the strip sack, yes, that is Wilson's fault. Do the twirly bird all you want at the 50 yard line to escape pressure, but don't do that inside the 10 yard line. He's a veteran QB, and that should have sunk in by now. Not like it's the first time he's had that happen.

As for Cable, I agree. But we both know that's probably not going to happen. So, the remedy is then to fire everyone? You think a new staff would recognize the greatness of this roster and just make the necessary tweaks? Not likely. They'd come in with their own brand of hubris and tear it down to rebuild in their own image. There are very few coaches/GM's that don't do that. So, in my opinion, the people that want the coaching staff gone are asking for a complete rebuild, whether they explicitly know that or not.

Wilson was 90% of the offense, but sure blame him.

QB's throw picks....ALL OF THEM, and Wilson throws less than most. That spin move was developed for Cable who cannot do his job. It saved us last game and most....but sure lets stop that business too. :roll:

When it's his fault, I will call it out. All coaches make bad coaching decisions, all kickers miss kicks, all defensive linemen lose contain, all linebackers miss tackles, all defensive backs get beat deep. See how easy it is to exonerate everyone with that logic?

Without those two completely avoidable turnovers, we win this game by double digits. It's not like that interception went off someones hands. Lockett had 4 steps on the defender and he threw it 4 steps behind him right TO the defender. And it's not like he doesn't have hands the size of baseball mitts. If you're going to pirouette inside the 10 yard line, put the ball away. Better yet, don't even pull that move there. The pocket collapses when you're backed up in your own end zone, move forward not backwards. Absolutely no reason to get reckless there, especially that early in the game.

But, just because I lay a lot of the blame on this game on Wilson's early turnovers, I'm not calling for him to get benched the way half the board is calling for the entire coaching staff to get canned. To me, it sounds like half of you want us to go back to wandering the desert for 40 years, like once wasn't enough. This season isn't going as planned, but we still have it pretty good. And, frankly, I still think we win the division and make the playoffs. We lose to San Fran this week, I'll totally eat crow, but I think it's more likely we're in 1st place in the division come Monday with a deciding head to head against the Rams still to come. Apparently one Superbowl win spoiled this fan base and that's not an achievement of note anymore. With that sentiment, I simply disagree.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
two dog":4cypf0xc said:
All this because the Seahawks lost by three to the defending NFC champions in a game
they might have won even with a diminished roster both pre and in-game.

Grandmother Larry Stone had a piece in this morning's Seattle times where he was
spending doom and gloom. "End of an era", "Seattle aura has changed", "time marches on",
and other assorted crap.

He was selling but I'm not buying.

Its not because we lost by 3 to the Falcons. Its because of the continuing downward trend of the last 3 seasons. I'm sorry, but this franchise has gone as far as its going to go with this coaching staff and its now time for a change. Pete and company arent just going to magically get it and make the necessary adjustments. They are going to continue with their tired, old, stale philosophy and schemes that have us in this current regression. Seems like half the fans realized this after last season with this year only confirming it, but i'm not sure whats taking the other half so long.

Grandmother Larry Stone is right.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
hawker84":34a5igu8 said:
Jerhawk":34a5igu8 said:
Fade":34a5igu8 said:
The team is talented, but not well coached.

Until that changes it's going to be the same thing every year.

Win 9 or 10 games due to the talent, and the gift that is having a franchise QB. Maybe win a home playoff game if they can get there. Rinse repeat.

Talking about players on the roster, and who to keep, or who to upgrade is moot at this point.

A new coaching staff offers the biggest upgrade in the win column, over any player moves at this juncture.

The analogy I heard was that the Seahawks are like a nice sports car, but the driver (coaches) is like a 13 year old who has never driven a car before. I think that is apt, and that is what it has looked like for weeks, going on years now.

It's a shame we'll never be able to see this team win a superbowl. The fact that coach Carroll hasn't even won a playoff game for us is embarrassing.

Hopefully they draft Baker Mayfield this spring

Remember that one time we won the SB, that was cool. The funny thing is how we get on whiner fans for holding on to their ancient championships. We won it 5 years ago, and the team has not changed that much. We still have the same talent on both sides of the ball up until recently, so what's changed? This is a what have you done for me lately sport. Pete and company, built something very special here, a whole new culture, we set standards in across the sport. And they are now systematically destroying everything they've built here, with their lack of discipline coaching style, and pathetic game planning and game day play calling.

Some peoples satisfaction with mediocrity is baffling to me. Why can't a fan be thankful for the success this coaching staff has brought us in the past, and still understand this coaching staff is underperforming, and has been for the last few years?
Are you saying past success doesn't matter or past success does matter? It's hard to understand based on this post.

hawker84

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2dlma7is said:
hawker84":2dlma7is said:
Jerhawk":2dlma7is said:
Fade":2dlma7is said:
The team is talented, but not well coached.

Until that changes it's going to be the same thing every year.

Win 9 or 10 games due to the talent, and the gift that is having a franchise QB. Maybe win a home playoff game if they can get there. Rinse repeat.

Talking about players on the roster, and who to keep, or who to upgrade is moot at this point.

A new coaching staff offers the biggest upgrade in the win column, over any player moves at this juncture.

The analogy I heard was that the Seahawks are like a nice sports car, but the driver (coaches) is like a 13 year old who has never driven a car before. I think that is apt, and that is what it has looked like for weeks, going on years now.

It's a shame we'll never be able to see this team win a superbowl. The fact that coach Carroll hasn't even won a playoff game for us is embarrassing.

Remember that one time we won the SB, that was cool. The funny thing is how we get on whiner fans for holding on to their ancient championships. We won it 5 years ago, and the team has not changed that much. We still have the same talent on both sides of the ball up until recently, so what's changed? This is a what have you done for me lately sport. Pete and company, built something very special here, a whole new culture, we set standards in across the sport. And they are now systematically destroying everything they've built here, with their lack of discipline coaching style, and pathetic game planning and game day play calling.

Some peoples satisfaction with mediocrity is baffling to me. Why can't a fan be thankful for the success this coaching staff has brought us in the past, and still understand this coaching staff is underperforming, and has been for the last few years?
Are you saying past success doesn't matter or past success does matter? It's hard to understand based on this post.

It matters, but keep it in it's place. I'll be the first to shake Pete and John hand and thank them from the bottom of my heart for everything they've done here. But I'm also a realist, and reality is, this coaching staff has sucked ass ever since the last play of the 2nd SB, and has been declining every year. Sometime it's just time for a change.... I'm old school, I was taught play disciplined football and not hurt your team by committing asinine penalties game after game after game. How many times have we extended drives because of a dumb penalty, how many countless drives have we killed by doing the same. Yes it's the players committing them, but that starts with coaching. How many idiotic decisions do we have to see from Pete to start holding him accountable for our horrible clock management and time outs and stupid play calling? How many draft choices and fines does this team have to endure before we start holding Pete accountable? How many ridiculous play calls by Bevell do we have to see before we start holding Pete accountable? He brought us a championship, he also lost us one imo. He is not untouchable.

Bottom line to answer your question. I'm very greatfull for the one SB and 2 NFCC this coaching staff has brought us, and i'll cherish them for the rest of my days. At the same time, I know football, and I Know this team has waaaaaay to much talent to be satisfied with division banners. JMO

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Weathering the down times with faith in Pete, John and staff will make the redemption so much more rewarding. Personally, I would feel quite hollow inside if I considered myself a fan of this team and demanded the architects of this franchise's renaissance be replaced, only to see the team get into its time-tested groove and charge into the playoffs and beyond.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawker84":xynjxgs2 said:
It matters, but keep it in it's place. I'll be the first to shake Pete and John hand and thank them from the bottom of my heart for everything they've done here. But I'm also a realist, and reality is, this coaching staff has sucked ass ever since the last play of the 2nd SB, and has been declining every year. Sometime it's just time for a change.... I'm old school, I was taught play disciplined football and not hurt your team by committing asinine penalties game after game after game. How many times have we extended drives because of a dumb penalty, how many countless drives have we killed by doing the same. Yes it's the players committing them, but that starts with coaching. How many idiotic decisions do we have to see from Pete to start holding him accountable for our horrible clock management and time outs and stupid play calling? How many draft choices and fines does this team have to endure before we start holding Pete accountable? How many ridiculous play calls by Bevell do we have to see before we start holding Pete accountable? He brought us a championship, he also lost us one imo. He is not untouchable.

Bottom line to answer your question. I'm very greatfull for the one SB and 2 NFCC this coaching staff has brought us, and i'll cherish them for the rest of my days. At the same time, I know football, and I Know this team has waaaaaay to much talent to be satisfied with division banners. JMO

Best post i've read around here in quite awhile.

Seymour

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":1cwhbzmf said:
Seymour":1cwhbzmf said:
imnKOgnito":1cwhbzmf said:
Seymour":1cwhbzmf said:
Wilson let the DT by and pummeled himself for the strip 6 sack? Wilson gave up the 35 yards for the TD after the pick?

Nope, in fact Wilson made the TD saving tackle. Yes, he has some blame, but so do others.

Of course that has nothing to do with my post that Cable needs to go. :roll:

Wilson has thrown two of the worst interceptions I've ever seen him throw in the last two home games. As for the strip sack, yes, that is Wilson's fault. Do the twirly bird all you want at the 50 yard line to escape pressure, but don't do that inside the 10 yard line. He's a veteran QB, and that should have sunk in by now. Not like it's the first time he's had that happen.

As for Cable, I agree. But we both know that's probably not going to happen. So, the remedy is then to fire everyone? You think a new staff would recognize the greatness of this roster and just make the necessary tweaks? Not likely. They'd come in with their own brand of hubris and tear it down to rebuild in their own image. There are very few coaches/GM's that don't do that. So, in my opinion, the people that want the coaching staff gone are asking for a complete rebuild, whether they explicitly know that or not.

QB's throw picks....ALL OF THEM, and Wilson throws less than most. That spin move was developed for Cable who cannot do his job. It saved us last game and most....but sure lets stop that business too. :roll:

When it's his fault, I will call it out. All coaches make bad coaching decisions, all kickers miss kicks, all defensive linemen lose contain, all linebackers miss tackles, all defensive backs get beat deep. See how easy it is to exonerate everyone with that logic?

Without those two completely avoidable turnovers, we win this game by double digits. It's not like that interception went off someones hands. Lockett had 4 steps on the defender and he threw it 4 steps behind him right TO the defender. And it's not like he doesn't have hands the size of baseball mitts. If you're going to pirouette inside the 10 yard line, put the ball away. Better yet, don't even pull that move there. The pocket collapses when you're backed up in your own end zone, move forward not backwards. Absolutely no reason to get reckless there, especially that early in the game.

But, just because I lay a lot of the blame on this game on Wilson's early turnovers, I'm not calling for him to get benched the way half the board is calling for the entire coaching staff to get canned. To me, it sounds like half of you want us to go back to wandering the desert for 40 years, like once wasn't enough. This season isn't going as planned, but we still have it pretty good. And, frankly, I still think we win the division and make the playoffs. We lose to San Fran this week, I'll totally eat crow, but I think it's more likely we're in 1st place in the division come Monday with a deciding head to head against the Rams still to come. Apparently one Superbowl win spoiled this fan base and that's not an achievement of note anymore. With that sentiment, I simply disagree.

No that is not the same logic. You conveniently left out the key part...He does it less than others.
So yes, all those other things are also forgivable if in each case that is not a typical problem for that person in that scenario.

massari

Reaction score
I don't recall ever reading someone wanting to blow this team up.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
hawker84":3ni0p9xj said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ni0p9xj said:
hawker84":3ni0p9xj said:
Jerhawk":3ni0p9xj said:

You don't demand a divorce the moment things get challenging. Especially when that marriage has brought you something only a handful of teams have had in decades

There's a reason owners like Dan Snyder and others are perennial failures. They think like you. In the context of Super Bowl history, your logic is to scrap a coach/FO when they start to screw up. That is idiotic, wrong headed, and not the way you run a franchise. It took Bill Belicheck 10 years to win another Super Bowl and there were a lot of boneheaded decisions in between that

When you make the playoffs every year, you build on that, you don't blow things up. And yes, although people said there was little comparison Jim Harbaugh does come to mind. The teams who consistently fail are the ones who, like you think winning football games is as simple as starting fresh and hiring young talent. If that was the case, we'd have a lot more Super Bowl winners

And then, if you're proven wrong, if Pete wins another Super Bowl you'll be here to say you're wrong and that you'll eat crow. How about our fan base try to be reasonable from the get go. We have issues, some of our coaching staff has to go. Bevell and Cable have not been given much to work with(even if they suck). We consistently get great production from 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks. As well as undrafted picks. This team DOES NOT have a lot of talent. We have very little run game. We have an aging defense. We have players that would be 2nd or 3rd string at best on other teams. Which of our cornerbacks at the moment is super talented? What about running backs? Which WR would be #1 or #2 on the Falcons, Rams, or Eagles offense? We have a great QB with good to average talent surrounding him. We have a defense that is very good but injury riddled. What part of our roster convinces you we've been more talented than the Falcons or Panthers during their Super Bowl runs?

Franchises wait years and years for ONE Super Bowl win. They don't even make the SB, yet alone the playoffs. You can compare us to the Patriots, but which other franchise has been as successful year after year in the Pete era? You can say you're grateful for a Super Bowl, but words are words. And your words don't indicate someone who merely wants better for the team but rather, is crapping all over what the Hawks have accomplished with little patience for the missteps made

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Fans lose perspective so quickly. Take what I consider the longest tenured dynasty in NFL history, the Patriots ( I hate typing those words). Their coach has been there since 2000, 17 years! They have won 5 SB in that time. They've lost 2. They have missed the playoffs 3 times during that span. They won 3 SB early 02, 04, 05. They went 10 years until they won another one. I'm sure everyone remembers that one. Do you think they should've canned Bill 2, 3, or even 5 years into that 10 year stretch of not winning the SB? I know it's not an apt comparison because they won 3 early but it's still in the ball park. Pete is not Bill and Russell is not Tom. Even with a hall of fame coach and QB New England's dynasty has been aided by being in one of the worst divisions in football for 20 years. They're the only team with a pulse in that division every year.

It's hard enough to make the playoffs in this league. When you have a coach/GM/QB combo that has shown they can do it consistently you don't move away from it unless you're forced to. You keep tweaking the roster after off years trying to get back to the bowl. Now coordinators and assistants you absolutely have to stay on top of. Your going to have to as the Hawks have due to losing coaches to other teams etc.... But unless Pete wants to retire you don't make that change until or unless we hit a 2+ year streak of missing the playoffs, PERIOD. In my opinion. The odds of Seattle getting a completely new staff and even sustaining where we are at right now are much lower than the odds of this staff making adjustments and keeping us in the mix and making runs when we have years with low injury issues.

Again just my opinion, but going with a new staff is a much bigger risk of wasting Russell's remaining prime years than improving on what we have going. I absolutely want to move away from Cable though. I'm guessing with no basis of proof or anything close to it, but I believe the if Cable goes, the offense opens up. I like to think that Cable is the one in Pete's ear reinforcing this run at all costs philosophy that has us constipated offensively.

chris98251

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2uooe7y3 said:
Fans lose perspective so quickly. Take what I consider the longest tenured dynasty in NFL history, the Patriots ( I hate typing those words). Their coach has been there since 2000, 17 years! They have won 5 SB in that time. They've lost 2. They have missed the playoffs 3 times during that span. They won 3 SB early 02, 04, 05. They went 10 years until they won another one. I'm sure everyone remembers that one. Do you think they should've canned Bill 2, 3, or even 5 years into that 10 year stretch of not winning the SB? I know it's not an apt comparison because they won 3 early but it's still in the ball park. Pete is not Bill and Russell is not Tom. Even with a hall of fame coach and QB New England's dynasty has been aided by being in one of the worst divisions in football for 20 years. They're the only team with a pulse in that division every year.

It's hard enough to make the playoffs in this league. When you have a coach/GM/QB combo that has shown they can do it consistently you don't move away from it unless you're forced to. You keep tweaking the roster after off years trying to get back to the bowl. Now coordinators and assistants you absolutely have to stay on top of. Your going to have to as the Hawks have due to losing coaches to other teams etc.... But unless Pete wants to retire you don't make that change until or unless we hit a 2+ year streak of missing the playoffs, PERIOD. In my opinion. The odds of Seattle getting a completely new staff and even sustaining where we are at right now are much lower than the odds of this staff making adjustments and keeping us in the mix and making runs when we have years with low injury issues.

Again just my opinion, but going with a new staff is a much bigger risk of wasting Russell's remaining prime years than improving on what we have going. I absolutely want to move away from Cable though. I'm guessing with no basis of proof or anything close to it, but I believe the if Cable goes, the offense opens up. I like to think that Cable is the one in Pete's ear reinforcing this run at all costs philosophy that has us constipated offensively.

Comparing Carroll and Belichek is like comparing Peanut Butter and Jelly, both are spreads and go on a sandwich but are miles apart on flavor, Bill adjusts game by game and changes until he gets the results he wants, Pete has been stubbornly entrenched in one way of doing things hoping to swap players out until one clicks. Worked great at first, but the league has adjusted and caught up to him. Belichek has Tom Brady as his consistent piece, they adjust to run they adjust to pass and they adjust their defense all depending on personnel and what the opponents weakness is.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":376sbc4r said:
OrangeGravy":376sbc4r said:

Comparing Carroll and Belichek is like comparing Peanut Butter and Jelly, both are spreads and go on a sandwich but are miles apart on flavor, Bill adjusts game by game and changes until he gets the results he wants, Pete has been stubbornly entrenched in one way of doing things hoping to swap players out until one clicks. Worked great at first, but the league has adjusted and caught up to him. Belichek has Tom Brady as his consistent piece, they adjust to run they adjust to pass and they adjust their defense all depending on personnel and what the opponents weakness is.

Not an in game coaching prowess comparison. Not sure how you got that from what I said. I never mentioned anything specific about either team and it's coaching or game tendencies. If you read that and go straight to shooting in down because Pete is not on Belichek's level you're just looking for an argument. Just using them as reference. If you have a perennial playoff team you don't take it down to the studs until it stops being a perennial playoff team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Changing up a few things is all that is needed to return the team to being a clear elite team.

Even back in the day of solid team dominance the OLine was always suspect and subject to development. He's tried to convert DLinemen and to develop TEs. Finding rock solid OLinemen and developing them is not a strength of the team, but that is mostly upon the supposed guru of the OLine and ZBS, in each failing case he's the common factor. Replacing him would in my mind go a long way toward resolving the continuing OLine problems which has formed the underlying weakness in the running game. Removing him and acquiring an experienced OLine coach with more conventional

I'd argue that he has guessed right on a couple of young players but has swung and missed more often than not. The team has as well guessed right on the talent at RB with the recent woeful and clear miss with Lacy who is big soft and S-L-O-W, Lacy is an overpaid huge liability. Lately though they have given away some genuine RB talent ( Collins, Ware) while keeping the bums. Cable is the common factor in the running game not working as both the 'Running Game Coordinator' and the OLine Coach. The problem seems frankly to be him. Sherman Smith was let go this last off season and replaced, and the running game got worse. The team had more than ten RBs in camp this year before the cuts and sure enough from that crew few have worked, injury hasn't helped, but it is rare for the talent to develop and yet when they leave here as not being up to coach's RB parameters they play well elsewhere. Cable's recent answer for Rawls is 'don't try so hard'. Really?

Replace Cable and things will quickly start to improve.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Seymour":3697971k said:
imnKOgnito":3697971k said:
Seymour":3697971k said:
imnKOgnito":3697971k said:

No that is not the same logic. You conveniently left out the key part...He does it less than others.
So yes, all those other things are also forgivable if in each case that is not a typical problem for that person in that scenario.

What is Pete Carrol's record as coach of the Seahawks? Would you consider it winning more or less than others?