Should the Seahawks look at bringing Bruce Irvin back to Sea

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
Irvin appears very open to the idea.

What say you?

"Pass rush is the name of the game for the Seahawks offseason and while a reunion with one former Seattle defensive lineman, Michael Bennett, has been discussed by the 710 ESPN staff, another former Seahawk made a bit of a social media splash by seemingly implying that he would be open to coming back to the Pacific Northwest.

"Bruce Irvin, who played both defensive end and outside linebacker for the Seahawks from 2012 to 2015, is a free agent and is coming off a career year with the Carolina Panthers where he had 8.5 sacks."

Full article here: https://sports.mynorthwest.com/825316/s ... k-seattle/

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Never a fan of bringing back someone thinking there will be some nostalgic catching of former glory but if the price was right I guess it's worth a look.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The price on Irvin would have to be right. But given our situation it is certainly worth considering if our draft doesn't work out the way we hope. Also hoping for a miraculous jump fro Collier and Greene. If that happens and we are able to draft a couple interior guys we'll be on our way to making this thing work out pretty well.
C'mon back Clowney!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Absolutely hell yes. I'd be willing to slightly overpay, too. He gets you 7 sacks from Leo and is an amazing locker room guy who WANTS to be in Seattle.

He's exactly what the doctor ordered for a year or two.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2twncb15 said:
Never a fan of bringing back someone thinking there will be some nostalgic catching of former glory but if the price was right I guess it's worth a look.

How bout a guy that would have led our defense in sacks last year with 8.5, and only cost 4M? Cause that's Irvin.

Give me Clowney and Irvin, and 2-3 second or third wave free agency interior lineman and our D-line just got a whole lot better.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2pkborn6 said:
Depends upon what he wants $ wise.
Yeah, of course. When he left, IIRC, he was demanding top dollar DE money and we weren't willing to pay that. Perhaps he's a bit more realistic these days. I'm not necessarily a fan of having a 20 sack guy. Would rather have two or three 8-10 sack guys. Better allocation of resources.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yes.

A good hedge. It's kind of a brutal DE market if the tags work out as expected. Also a brutal draft for edge talent. Seattle needs probably 2 edge rushers, assuming they still retain Clowney.

The landscape for edge guys is really barren. Irvin would be a good addition at what presumably would be a fairly modest expense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3cinfz27 said:
What he got from Panthers was 4-5M. That's probably what he'll shoot for. Sounds reasonable to me as compared to other options.

I'd take 4-5M for Irvin in a heartbeat.

Unlike other FA's, he's not an unknown. Tough as hell, plays with an edge, good locker room player (as long as Jimmy Graham's not on the team), and it's the biggest position of need.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He'd want more than $5-6 million APY without a doubt.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wasn't he one of the most vocal players about the botched Super Bowl play? Maybe I'm thinking incorrectly. Just wondering about his and Petes relationship. Anyways, I truly haven't followed him at all once he left, so I don't really know.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He always seemed respectful of Russ after leaving so I think you're wrong although I too could have it wrong.

His pressure rate stuff is still pretty good. For the right price I wouldn't mind.

olyfan63

Reaction score
At the right price he would be a good fit. If he still has his wheels we'll need him to chase that Cardinals QB, and Lamar Jackson. IIRC, we used him as a spy on Kraepernick including in the NFCCG and Kraep knew he couldn't outrun Irvin, and so he threw instead of ran, including The Tip.

He'd probably give us the sack production that Chris Clemons gave us in his prime, and that's a good thing to have.