John Clayton update on Clowney and Griffen

morgulon1

Reaction score
Too injury prone . I hope Seattle signs someone else. Clowney was part of a bottom feeder defense so what is the
purpose of giving him 16 million dollars? :pukeface:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
From what I saw, Clowney (generally) created pressure that could have led to more sacks had literally any other pressure been applied anywhere in the vicinity. It was screaming for it, but it seldom happened. QJeff cashed in a few times, but that was about it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":24h85st0 said:
From what I saw, Clowney (generally) created pressure that could have led to more sacks had literally any other pressure been applied anywhere in the vicinity. It was screaming for it, but it seldom happened. QJeff cashed in a few times, but that was about it.

Yeah, Clowney gets a lot more sacks/QB hits last year if there was a single other competent pass rusher with him. He would collapse an entire side of the pocket alone while being double teamed and they'd still get an easy completion. Desperately need one or two other guys who can win 1 on 1's. I like the guys they've added so far and think there's a good chance one of them can be the future LEO, especially Darrell Taylor. Getting Clowney to a multi-year deal would be huge, Griffen at $3 mil as a bonus would be insane.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Enough with the injury prone thing, geez man. He hasn't missed that many games, and he played thru a ton last season. And he STILL was a game wrecker for opposing offenses. Stats don't always show the real contribution. He contributes plenty.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Clowney was a beast last year. I don't know that he is the same with a big contract but since it isn't my money, give him the best deal Seattle can afford, Griffen too.

Defense wins championships, even on the NE Patriots they needed a very good to great Defense and had one year in and year out.

Solid on Defense, and an Offense that can score on any play from anywhere on the field. A team that scores the first TD nearly every game, and a 3 and out for the Defense. Why are the Hawks always on the wrong end of that scenario?

Help the Defense, open up the Offense from the first snap. Always deferring the toss to the second half? Predictable.. Flip the script sometimes. Establish the run? Why not wait until you get the first score, and have the opposition on their heels mentally?

I know this is a minority opinion, but the "grey" in Petes coaching is showing. Coach Shula died today, even this great coach had that problem as he aged. Pete MAY be the anchor holding the team back. Why can't the team
use RW like KC uses its QB? Watch a tape of Joe Montana slicing and dicing the Defenses of the 80's. RW can run that type of offense. I drool at the thought of the defensive lines of the league struggling to catch a breath.

Sign Clowney, THEN OPEN UP THE OFFENSE...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
morgulon1":3h3r5haq said:
Too injury prone . I hope Seattle signs someone else. Clowney was part of a bottom feeder defense so what is the
purpose of giving him 16 million dollars? :pukeface:

Because he was the only difference maker on said bottom feeder D-line last year, and that D-line will once again be a bottom feeder line without him. With him, it has at least a chance to be respectable.

Own The West

Reaction score
So Clayton thinks we can get both Griffen and Clowney for $19M?

Ok, let's do that. :D

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No way you could have convinced me of that even just a few weeks ago. As long as it is taking for both, it doesn't seem that far fetched. This D would get a hell of a lot better with those two guys, obviously.

sutz

Reaction score
Remember, too, that if we can get Clowney on a 1 year deal, we'll be eligible for a comp pick again. :mrgreen:

nrayorr

Reaction score
I would absolutely love to see Griffen and Clowney on the team. I believe the two rookie DEs will make some noise as well, so if we can do this... DO THIS!!

toffee

Reaction score
If Griffen will sign for less than $5 mil, why not sign him now, and wait for Clowney later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Clayton said we couldnt afford both Clowney and Griffen but surely that is what we need and we could rework Russ or Bobbies contracts to make the space :irishdrinkers:

HawkGA

Reaction score
jeremiah":34lcf2oa said:
Clowney was a beast last year. I don't know that he is the same with a big contract but since it isn't my money, give him the best deal Seattle can afford, Griffen too.

At potentially $3 mil, I don't see how Griffen is a back up option and not an, "Oh ya, and him too" option.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":qyqrqrnj said:
If Griffen will sign for less than $5 mil, why not sign him now, and wait for Clowney later?

This ; If healthy, and we can For Sure get him on a reasonable deal? I don't see the down side to signing Griffen.
I am curious as to why this hasn't already happened....Obviously we fans aren't privy of what the hold up is, so there is that.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
scutterhawk":zelz54ia said:
toffee":zelz54ia said:

This ; If healthy, and we can For Sure get him on a reasonable deal? I don't see the down side to signing Griffen.
I am curious as to why this hasn't already happened....Obviously we fans aren't privy of what the hold up is, so there is that.
this

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm convinced we will get at least one of the two. The Clowney problem is he wants security at a high number and we can't do all we need to do and do that long or short term, so the FO is WISELY installing our backup plan in case he won't come around to what we CAN do.

getnasty

Reaction score
If you can get Griffin for 3 just do it and find a way to make room for Clowney later. Even if you lose KJ later i sign Griffin for that price now.

sutz

Reaction score
getnasty":3bm5gisu said:
If you can get Griffin for 3 just do it and find a way to make room for Clowney later. Even if you lose KJ later i sign Griffin for that price now.
I have to believe that if they made Clowney (or anybody, for that matter) an offer that they already have a plan for how to make it fit in the salary cap. "Losing" KJ just seems like it won't happen this year from how they've structured things so far.