Seahawks-Clowney reunion not likely

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mizak":31y0pb8p said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29143390/source-reunion-jadeveon-clowney-seahawks-not-likely

Damn. JS referring to Clowney in the past tense.
That’s what I’m thinking as well. Go get Griffin.

mistaowen

Reaction score
They're pretty clearly still waiting for him with the moves to clear some $$. The defense is worse without him and he's the 'tilt the field' player Pete loves. This might be their response to his interview about loving the team, coaches, culture, etc but not signing. Seems like they're both playing games now. There's a good chance this bleeds into training camp.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
mistaowen":3eq5rz88 said:
They're pretty clearly still waiting for him with the moves to clear some $$. The defense is worse without him and he's the 'tilt the field' player Pete loves. This might be their response to his interview about loving the team, coaches, culture, etc but not signing. Seems like they're both playing games now. There's a good chance this bleeds into training camp.

Agree. This about face article is just another media change of direction, like a school of fish changing direction while still caught in a one direction current. Less than 24 hours ago the same outlet came to exactly the opposite conclusion from the same interviews. This is what happens when news is hard to come by.
I know what I want to happen, and I'll keep wanting that to happen until it can't.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Eh, it's all talk at this point. Negotiations come in waves; my emotions won't get beached until I see Jadeveon hanging 10 on another team's surfboard.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm tired of caring about these players and their contract demands. Move ON. Another guy is coming to replace you, yeah, even YOU the reader of this.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If he REALLY wanted to play here, he'd be here by now. Period. End of story.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
WarHawks":fn6cgl5w said:

Not necessarily. Jarran Reed did squat last year and still got a new contract which gives him $14M this season (which is a raise from his previous year). Why should Clowney take less? Clowney made $15M last season between the Seahawks and Texans. He's not going to stay for any amount lower than that. He shouldn't have to. Doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play here. Even Russell Wilson wouldn't take what he feels is bare minimum.

Jadeveon Clowney - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jadeveon-clowney-14410/cash-earnings/

Jarran Reed - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jarran-reed-18998/cash-earnings/

pmedic920

Reaction score
WarHawks":qk74sp1r said:

Possibly but not absolutely.

He may really want to play for Seattle but not at the cost of 2,3,4 million less per year.

Edit:
And I’m sure that length of contract matters to him as well.

xray

Reaction score
Big news last month.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Yeah... don't think he'll be with us. I was hoping we could've got both Clowney and Griffen, but I just don't think that'll happen now.

morgulon1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":289rr1qn said:
WarHawks":289rr1qn said:

Not necessarily. Jarran Reed did squat last year and still got a new contract which gives him $14M this season (which is a raise from his previous year). Why should Clowney take less? Clowney made $15M last season between the Seahawks and Texans. He's not going to stay for any amount lower than that. He shouldn't have to. Doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play here. Even Russell Wilson wouldn't take what he feels is bare minimum.

Jadeveon Clowney - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jadeveon-clowney-14410/cash-earnings/

Jarran Reed - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jarran-reed-18998/cash-earnings/

But Russell Wilson has never missed a game and is arguably one of the top couple of quarterbacks
In the league. You cant count on Clowney and he ended up with 3.5 sacks. He took over one game .
One.

He wants 18 million for that?
He wants top tier Defensive end money .

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's gone and I have come to accept it.
We can't just pay out huge contracts to everyone after all
the ones we currently have and not weaken the team overall.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":b28dgowe said:
mistaowen":b28dgowe said:

Agree. This about face article is just another media change of direction, like a school of fish changing direction while still caught in a one direction current.

Less than 24 hours ago the same outlet came to exactly the opposite conclusion from the same interviews. This is what happens when news is hard to come by.

I know what I want to happen, and I'll keep wanting that to happen until it can't.

Bingo. Sports radio shows behind the scenes "Please give us something to talk about!"

That "past tense" reference was brought up a couple of days ago, took them that long to spot it and say "HERE'S A STORY!"

No games being played, just 2 sides being patient and going about their business, while radio and print desperately look to invent talking points.

I'm ambivalent. I see Clowney looking at how he handled it last year, how it turned out best for him, and thinking "Why not be patient again this year?"

Some DE is going to get hurt early on, and Clowney will get close to the deal he wants. He prefers to come back to Seattle, and I believe that if the dollars are close, he will come back to Seattle. I don't see Clowney as the petty type. It's all about the fun of the game and the dollars for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2htl2ltb said:
mistaowen":2htl2ltb said:

Agree. This about face article is just another media change of direction, like a school of fish changing direction while still caught in a one direction current. Less than 24 hours ago the same outlet came to exactly the opposite conclusion from the same interviews. This is what happens when news is hard to come by.

We're clearing space to sign another DE or DT, doesn't mean it's Clowney. Vernon, Griffen, Sheard, Covington, Snacks Harrison. All still available.

Or two if it's not Clowney. Obviously he's #1, but again doesn't mean we're clearing cap specifically for him. He's obviously dug his heels in and isn't budging on his salary demands. So come June/July we will sign one or two of these other guys.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
morgulon1":2ilms6dq said:
hawkfan68":2ilms6dq said:
WarHawks":2ilms6dq said:

But Russell Wilson has never missed a game and is arguably one of the top couple of quarterbacks
In the league. You cant count on Clowney and he ended up with 3.5 sacks. He took over one game .
One.

He wants 18 million for that?
He wants top tier Defensive end money .

Do you actually watch games or review the stat line? With the statement you made, it seems the latter. He was the most keyed on player on the DL. He was the best player on that line. He took over more than just one game. He also took over the playoff game against the Eagles (with a core injury). Teams double teamed him and he was still able to be disruptive. Rasheem and QJeff's benefited from Clowney getting attention and double-teamed. He also had two interceptions for TDs. He was clearly in the top 2 or 3 of the defensive players on the team, if not the best. This is all with having to learn the system on the go and then getting injured. Playing with that injury, which would end the season for most players, for most of the latter half of the season. He was still making big impact even though his stats don't show it.He is the guy offenses have to gameplan for upfront. Without him, the Seahawks don't have that guy on the DL.

Reed got a raise to $14M for doing nothing. He produced more than Reed did last season and is only being offered the same or less. That's not justified at all. He may not be worth over $20M but he has done enough to warrant something around $17-18M range.

Leonard Williams is earning $16M/yr and produced .5 sacks last season. In his best season (thus far in his career), only had 7 sacks.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/leonard-williams-16730/stats-valuation/

getnasty

Reaction score
Seems like Seattle should be to sign him to a 1 year deal with incentives give him 13 million with the chance to earn 17 if he plays in 13 games and has 8 sacks.