Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russell Wilson reads negative Draft Profile w/Dan Patrick

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • A little fun, going down memory lane :stirthepot:

    I'll never forget the "Check this out! I just gave Seattle my worst grade ever!" post draft review! :laugh:




    Then there's this:

    3. The Seahawks should trade Russell Wilson and draft his replacement

    This take died its rightful death when Russell Wilson got the lucrative extension he so obviously deserved the week before the 2019 NFL Draft.

    But for a while there was somehow a debate whether or not Wilson was a player the Seahawks should build around. Banging that drum has been Sports Illustrated’s Andy Benoit, who says Wilson has “never been a top-10 quarterback” and that he’d rather have Jacoby Brissett.

    https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/19/1848 ... kes-ranked
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 20447
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • There was a time I was convinced that there was no way Wilson would re-sign with us. How could he? We had games where Wilson would literally throw for 50 at the half - and it was clear Wilson was not the reason.

    I was convinced we had to trade him. Still feel he could almost double his #s almost anywhere else, which is saying something given he either the leader or top 5 in almost every meaningful passing category when often only allowed to take the limiters off in the 2nd half.

    Whatever else John and Carroll do in their lives, we have to be thankful for the decision to bring him in and to use him. All against conventional wisdom at the time.

    He has to go down as one of the greatest Seahawks ever, even above Largent - and I say this as someone regularly accused of being a Wilson 'hater'.

    We were so lucky that he is not the kind of person that is so focused on his numbers like so many QBs. We are fortunate he never demanded that trade so many expected him to. How we even got him to sign another contract with us is beyond me. But what a treat both Wilson and Carroll have been.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4031
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • Funny how the special players you can tell sometimes from their first snap. Russels preseason that year you could tell he was special
    94Smith
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


  • 94Smith wrote:Funny how the special players you can tell sometimes from their first snap. Russels preseason that year you could tell he was special


    It was just a preseason game, but his first preseason start in week 3 of 2012, he basically came in and beat the Chiefs by himself. Now, the Chiefs were very bad that year, however, I've still never seen a rookie come into even his first preseason start and dominate the way he did.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6825
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:
    94Smith wrote:Funny how the special players you can tell sometimes from their first snap. Russels preseason that year you could tell he was special


    It was just a preseason game, but his first preseason start in week 3 of 2012, he basically came in and beat the Chiefs by himself. Now, the Chiefs were very bad that year, however, I've still never seen a rookie come into even his first preseason start and dominate the way he did.


    It was obvious in that preseason game that he had the “it factor”! I’m still amazed that some of this fan base has taken so long to understand that.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2415
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • TwistedHusky wrote:There was a time I was convinced that there was no way Wilson would re-sign with us. How could he? We had games where Wilson would literally throw for 50 at the half - and it was clear Wilson was not the reason.

    I was convinced we had to trade him. Still feel he could almost double his #s almost anywhere else, which is saying something given he either the leader or top 5 in almost every meaningful passing category when often only allowed to take the limiters off in the 2nd half.

    Whatever else John and Carroll do in their lives, we have to be thankful for the decision to bring him in and to use him. All against conventional wisdom at the time.

    He has to go down as one of the greatest Seahawks ever, even above Largent - and I say this as someone regularly accused of being a Wilson 'hater'.

    We were so lucky that he is not the kind of person that is so focused on his numbers like so many QBs. We are fortunate he never demanded that trade so many expected him to. How we even got him to sign another contract with us is beyond me. But what a treat both Wilson and Carroll have been.


    Great post, Twisted.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2437
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am


  • 94Smith wrote:Funny how the special players you can tell sometimes from their first snap. Russels preseason that year you could tell he was special


    I couldn't agree with any post more! It was clear from the very beginning that RW was an improvement over Matt Flynn and that he had the potential to be special and exceptional as he has now proven he is.

    For me I have never understood the "he's too short" BS. It holds as much credibility as the "He's not black enough" rubbish. I can honestly say I was simply overjoyed when the Hawks picked RW at pick #75 and was legitimately fearful he was going to get picked by another team. He will be a first ballot HOF inductee, and sooner or later recognized as the league MVP.

    Without a doubt he is THE BEST QB the team has ever had. There were moments early however that he was skittish in the pocket and he did run around quite a bit and even a couple of funny clips of him avoiding the pass rush to Benny Hill music were made; but that got better as he gained experience. Now he uses his mobility and running ability to keep opposing D's off balance.

    However, he does have a quality arm indeed.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7161
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • jammerhawk wrote:For me I have never understood the "he's too short" BS. It holds as much credibility as the "He's not black enough" rubbish. I can honestly say I was simply overjoyed when the Hawks picked RW at pick #75 and was legitimately fearful he was going to get picked by another team. He will be a first ballot HOF inductee, and sooner or later recognized as the league MVP.


    He had to do something that hadn't done before, so I understand why some were skeptical about his chances, even though he had everything else you look for in a QB. That's a difficult first-round investment, or at least a really ballsy one. After we took him, it seemed like half the league was hoping to have landed him in the same range. Not Jacksonville though, who took a punter while he was still on the board.

    I'm a Big 10 guy, so I was familiar with him and was happy with the selection, but I'll admit, it was like two rounds earlier than I thought he would go. I was at one of the libraries at my college watching the draft ticker, and wrote "Russell Wilson, nice!" on the message board I was posting on during the third round.

    A few people were really hard on the pick, but it felt like most of the main draft analysts were saying things to the effect of "he's short, but if anyone can overcome that, it's Russell Wilson". Turned out to be our Brady at #199 moment.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6013
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • 94Smith wrote:Funny how the special players you can tell sometimes from their first snap. Russels preseason that year you could tell he was special


    Yup, I remember that whole preseason, from the first game, being eager to see Russell get in the game, and knowing he would make things happen. Each succeeding game he'd get in a little earlier, have success, and by season start, he'd forced Pete Carroll to realize that the ex-GB backup QB was "injured" and to make Russell the starter. I think the other dude had like a really, really bad hangnail? His name escapes me now. I'll remember it after clicking submit.

    That picture of KC safety Eric Berry airborne and upside down is an all-time classic, in my book. Russell was scrambling, being chased, and somebody lit Berry up. Also showed how Russell brought out extra effort in other players, from day 1.
    Image
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • I hate that Dan Patrick always brings up Drew Brees' reaction ad nauseum whenever he does this.

    Just let your guest react how they see fit because it doesn't mean they're less competitive or less of a leader if they choose to react differently.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 336
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


  • I had a strong feeling Russell might end up the starter after the three-day rookie minicamp when Pete said Russ would compete for the starting job. It reminded me of the previous year when he ended up picking true freshman Matt Barkley to start at USC. Once Russ played against KC in the preseason game, I was sure he was the guy.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 7221
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • By the time Russ retired many years from now, he will be remembered a d honored as one of the very best ever to play the game.

    There will a line of footnote on his resume :

    Too short, game manager and not black enough. Lol

    Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2299
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm




It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online