Does Russell Wilson attack the short middle?

Jville

Reaction score
So the linked article pivots around the throwing history and tendency of Russell Wilson and various league quarterbacks. The heat maps posted below offer visual insight as to how unique Russell Wilson is as a quarterback. And for me, visual insight into the annual slow starts for both the offense as well as the defense. A defense which doesn't have the more typical advantage of practicing against a starting quarterback that mimics the tendencies of a typical passing attack. An offense that minimizes short quick opening passes in favor of setting up explosive plays and being patient with developing deep ball accuracy early on in the season. Russell's uniqueness places demands on teammates (on both sides of the ball) that are unique to the Seattle Seahawks. .

EESBt8JWkAAnlmg

EEWyL8vWsAACxPc

What Douglas did, under the account @ChiefsAnalytics on Twitter, was to publish a map showing the frequency with which quarterbacks targeted different areas of the field. This allows for an easy visualization of the specific areas an NFL quarterback throws the ball relative to the other quarterbacks in the NFL. Specifically, in his heat map, red indicates that the quarterback targets that area of the field more than the average NFL quarterback, while blue indicates that the quarterback targets that area of the field less than the average NFL quarterback. The intensity of the color is used to indicate how far above or below league average the quarterback attacks that area.

Does Russell Wilson attack the short middle? >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/9/13/20864035/heat-mapping-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-throws-parts-field-patrick-mahomes[/urltargetblank]

........................ I'm accustom to slow starts and why. I've just never before run across a couple of useful heat maps to share ....... until now. :biggthumpup: Enjoy.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
So does the high heat in the flats indicate the "bubble screen" frequency of the Bevell era?

I think in general shorter QB's will struggle with dink and dunk throws because of the angles. So it's not a big surprise he favors deeper throws where its easier to get some air under the ball.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
That was most likely the case and the receiver bubble screen in the flat is no doubt still in the play book. But the running back was featured in the flat, as promised, in week one verses the Bengals.

Route chart CAR568144 2019 reg 1 1567987009049

Same quarterback and quarterback tendency throwing to a running back instead of a receiver.

Mick063

Reaction score
Play action is the name of the game for Seattle. Typically, because the action takes time, it makes for deeper routes. It is the primary reason for the run emphasis play calling. Pound on the defense with the run game and them surprise them with big splash plays in the passing game.

To be effective, the run game has to be effective.

What is disconcerting is that Wilson is taking most of his snaps from the shotgun and even with the supposed added time to survey the short middle, there is still no time. The pressure is arriving that quickly.

DK Metcalf may be the best option for attacking the short middle as we saw on his slant route. He can get that big body in front of the coverage and has proven he can catch the ball in traffic. Makes it tough for the corner to play through him from behind. Wilson is just going to have to trust him to come up with the ball, even though he looks covered.

What I really want to see is more timing routes. 1,2,3 and fire. Doesn't necessarily have to be over the middle. Let the improvising occur when play action is effectively slowing down the pass rush.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Russell does not attack the short middle. He is the short middle and is usually under attack. :sarcasm_off:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":1b2kllsy said:
Russell does not attack the short middle. He is the short middle and is usually under attack. :sarcasm_off:

I don't see the need for any sarcasm there.

xray

Reaction score
He seems to be using everything except short middle ...not so much . His height does affect how he plays . My opinion is; if they let Wilson roll he usually rocks . IMO

sutz

Reaction score
Mick063":1lf8un3z said:
Play action is the name of the game for Seattle. Typically, because the action takes time, it makes for deeper routes. It is the primary reason for the run emphasis play calling. Pound on the defense with the run game and them surprise them with big splash plays in the passing game.

What is disconcerting is that Wilson is taking most of his snaps from the shotgun and even with the supposed added time to survey the short middle, there is still no time. The pressure is arriving that quickly.

DK Metcalf may be the best option for attacking the short middle as we saw on his slant route. He can get that big body in front of the coverage and has proven he can catch the ball in traffic. Makes it tough for the corner to play through him from behind. Wilson is just going to have to trust him to come up with the ball, even though he looks covered.

What I really want to see is more timing routes. 1,2,3 and fire. Doesn't necessarily have to be over the middle. Let the improvising occur when play action is effectively slowing down the pass rush.
Play action freezes the LBs in place, therefore, the 'short middle' part of the field tends to be full of defenders. ;)

Mick063

Reaction score
sutz":1v5cpwrm said:
Mick063":1v5cpwrm said:

Play action freezes the LBs in place, therefore, the 'short middle' part of the field tends to be full of defenders. ;)

Exactly. Hence, the explanation why Seattle rarely attacks the short middle. Perhaps after the first paragraph, I wasn't clear enough that I was describing pass plays from the shotgun that didn't include play action.

But if they do attack the short middle, and not from play action, I believe DK Metcalf has the size and strength to be the guy.

Tical21

Reaction score
I mean, he can’t see. I’d bet Brees throws less short middle than most as well.

John63

Reaction score
You guys do know that PC has said he does not like throwing in the middle, to many people, to many hands to much risk.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
His chart on Mahomes (apparently also doesn't use the short middle):

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChiefsAnalytics/status/1172189230375813120[/tweet]

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Brady:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChiefsAnalytics/status/1172203512941416448[/tweet]

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tical21":2pjp0kl4 said:
I mean, he can’t see. I’d bet Brees throws less short middle than most as well.

He doesn't have a chart for Brees, but if you look at Mahomes vs. NFL and Mahomes vs. Brees (below) I think you can infer that Brees is at least NFL typical on short middle throws:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChiefsAnalytics/status/1172188347680395265[/tweet]

Latest posts