A must read.

suppaball

Reaction score
Forget that I failed Algebra twice so I won't even attempt to read this. But thanks for sharing. What I got from the couple of sentences I read was #24 is a BEAST!

OP
OP
VHawk

VHawk

Reaction score
No doubt I was never good at math either.......perfectly said #24=BEASTMODE!!

Schadie001

Reaction score
When you look up "trucked" in the dictionary it has a picture of of Goldson trying tackel Lynch.

sam1313

Reaction score
Talking about two football players as though they are two meteors flying through space is a little much. I like the math/science discussion usually, but most tackles are made by tripping up a runner, not necessarily overcoming his mass and force (certain hits most notably by Kam and BB are certainly exceptions).

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Claden":366c59es said:
Math :Dunno:
Physics actually...but yes math is involved.

Personally, the physics don't interest me as much as the fact that Lynch gets more yards after first contact than anyone I can recall seeing. Simplistic perhaps, but imho yards after first contact says it all.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Never saw Earl Campbell play then I take it? Marshawn is as close to Earl as anybody that has come along since Earl (Eddie George being pretty close in his first couple of years before injuries piled up). Something about Earl was just amazing. His legs were like tree trunks. He'd hit a guy going full speed and slow down slightly as the guy got smashed out of his way and then accelerate back to full speed again within about 3 steps and do it all over again. He was amazing to watch. It's sad to see him trying to walk around now though. His knees are just destroyed.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Earl Campbell, I miss the Oilers
[youtube]3GoaYkqq_KA[/youtube]
Our own badass
[youtube]rRfh9hARNyI[/youtube]
Both are a couple rungs below this specimen though...
[youtube]-qCqtjIuIR0[/youtube]

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Okay, I'll translate the gist of it for those physicsally challenged ;)

Lynch doesn't have a high top speed, but he has a very fast acceleration, which means he generally hits harder than he's being hit, which allows him to drive his would-be tacklers. One thing this analysis didn't touch on, as it didn't come into play, is that Lynch keeps his feet wider than most running backs, meaning he has a better center of gravity, which means he's harder than most running backs to knock down. Add the two together - fast acceleration so he hits harder and better center of gravity and you've got a guy who gets a lot of yards after contact.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
All that makes sense. Football is a game of geometry with 22 variables and Lynch is one hell of a variable. It can be extremely complicated and yet sometimes you just line up and whoop somebody's arse and that's why it's the ultimate game.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Sorry to say it but this is a "it might or might not be worth your time to click on the link and quickly scroll through but do not read" rather than a "must read".
It's pretty easy to figure out by watching the video that Lynch had a head of steam going into the tackle and the defender did not. Advantage number 1. Then he lowers his shoulders while the defender does not. Advantage number 2. He drives his feet while the defender is still trying to tackle high instead of low. Advantage number 3. Easy first down. 'Nough said. Whoever wrote that article needs to spend less time being a nerd and more time trying to get some tail, even if it's a dude's tail. I don't judge. That's not true; I just did.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Omahawk":1ld6jqx2 said:
Sorry to say it but this is a "it might or might not be worth your time to click on the link and quickly scroll through but do not read" rather than a "must read".
It's pretty easy to figure out by watching the video that Lynch had a head of steam going into the tackle and the defender did not. Advantage number 1. Then he lowers his shoulders while the defender does not. Advantage number 2. He drives his feet while the defender is still trying to tackle high instead of low. Advantage number 3. Easy first down. 'Nough said. Whoever wrote that article needs to spend less time being a nerd and more time trying to get some tail, even if it's a dude's tail. I don't judge. That's not true; I just did.

Free laughing smiley emoticon