Build the passrush through the offense

pehawk

Reaction score
I think it was Dungy's first year that he selected Dwight Freeney. Much like our own Bruce Irvin, Freeney was seen as a one-trick pony, blazingly fast yet raw. The pick drew a level of criticism.

When questioned on that pick, Dungy (or whomever) stated Freeney's speed was vital to their pass rush. That speed KILLS at DE when you're playing with the lead. Dungy tailored his defense to the offense.

I think we could see similar in Seattle. Which is why I kind of expect to see Seattle sniff around the Bowes and Wallaces of the world. Add a true #1 receiver, without having to give up Sydney or Miller, and that Seahawks offense may vault to the best in the NFL.

I wont say this is a random thought, more a loony rambling.

sutz

Reaction score
The NFL is crowded with players that took a year or two to develop. Patience is often rewarded for players like Irvin, with a lot of raw talent and upside. Freeney's not a bad comparison, either. He was considered "undersized" as well.

mrblitz

Reaction score
put up a lot of points on offense and turn the pass rush loose on defense... sounds like a plan to me!

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
mrblitz":9dgsl6pi said:
put up a lot of points on offense and turn the pass rush loose on defense... sounds like a plan to me!

I know it sounds trite, but, I do remember Dungy saying that.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2n7rvkby said:
Add a couple of pass rushers and a coverage linebacker together with what will surely be a top 5 offense...championship!

Maybe SF or Atl suffer a plane crash...and it comes this year?

GoHawks

Reaction score
Good post - I have no doubt this defense/team would have tore it up playing from a lead, as the defense can just pin their ears back, get pressure/sacks and cause turnovers which would allow to either add-on to lead or chew clock with BeastMode

Hopefully, Carroll's defensive philosophy doesn't prevent him and Bevell from adjusting the gameplan to adopt this tactic.

From what we saw in the later games this season, I'd say we can have hope, now let's get RW's some more weapons

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be stoked if we got

FA-DE Osi
1st rd-Pass Rush DT (Richardson, Floyd, Short, Williams)
2nd rd- WR hope we can get (Allen, Patterson, Hopkins, Williams, Hunter, Woods, Rogers, Hamilton, Wheaton)
3rd rd- Athletic TE like (Ertz, Eifert, Escobar, Toilolo, Fauria)

4th and later grab a few LB's and DE's to compete

Zowert

Reaction score
Hawks should remain a 4-3 Defense but add a few plays with a 3-4 formation. I think Irvin lined up as a LB on the edge in a 3-4 formation might help. But i'm not sure how good he is at rushing when he's NOT in the 3 point stance.

3-4 would be cool because i'd like to see KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Leroy Hill and Malcolm Smith on the field at the same time. The only problem is the lack of a NT. Mebane and/or Branch are not the type to play in a 3-4. At least I don't think they are.

I was wondering how good Red Bryant would be as a DT..? If we get a better defensive end and Clemons makes a healthy comeback. Then Bryant has the size to be a defensive tackle, at 6'4" 323 pounds.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Z, couldn't Red be that NT in the occasional 3-4? I'm sure he could occupy some blockers for 5-10 plays. Different mindset from doing it all game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Its a fine line.
Look at NE's offense, awesome, but they score to qucik and as a result, they tend to give the opponents more touchs on offense.

the best scenerio for the Hawks is to take a 14 pt lead, then ground out the clock, while the opposing offense is stuck looking for long passes.

Zowert

Reaction score
pehawk":1pyzn8qj said:
Z, couldn't Red be that NT in the occasional 3-4? I'm sure he could occupy some blockers for 5-10 plays. Different mindset from doing it all game.

Well, Red sure has the size to be a Nosetackle. Usually them boys are BIG, and Red Bryant is bigger than a lot of DT's. I have noticed that a lot of defensive tackles are between 6'1" - 6'3" and around 315 pounds. While Red is 6'4" 320+ pounds. I heard he's one strong mo-fo too. So, yeah, you could be right.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
2005 Seahawks: led the league in offense, led the league in sacks, went to the Super Bowl.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2pzufbag said:
2005 Seahawks: led the league in offense, led the league in sacks, went to the Super Bowl.
I keep this a one of the big reasons that our 2005 team is better; they got home.

If we can have an elite, clock-milking offense it makes out defense that much better. It was very evident when we put up 150 points in three games.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
How long did Freeney take to develop that beautiful spin move? And can Irvin learn it?

BASF

Reaction score
The main reason Red Bryant was not successful at defensive tackle is that he plays too high. The defensive tackle position is all about leverage and being able to get under the pad level of the center or guards and Bryant isn't that type of player.

seabowl

Reaction score
pehawk":3picy81b said:
I think it was Dungy's first year that he selected Dwight Freeney. Much like our own Bruce Irvin, Freeney was seen as a one-trick pony, blazingly fast yet raw. The pick drew a level of criticism.

When questioned on that pick, Dungy (or whomever) stated Freeney's speed was vital to their pass rush. That speed KILLS at DE when you're playing with the lead. Dungy tailored his defense to the offense.

I think we could see similar in Seattle. Which is why I kind of expect to see Seattle sniff around the Bowes and Wallaces of the world. Add a true #1 receiver, without having to give up Sydney or Miller, and that Seahawks offense may vault to the best in the NFL.

I wont say this is a random thought, more a loony rambling.

Understand and agree with theory behind this however there is a major difference between Freeney and Bruce. Freeney had 17.5 sacks his last year in college and was considered a polished pass rusher. Bruce was and still is raw and needs a ton of work. Not saying he can't become very good at some point but he has a long way to go before we can even put him in the same sentence as Dwight.

Funny thing was before Freeneys draft i and a few others were calling for the Hawks to pick him on I believe this sight. or one Again though I agree with the theory.

Latest posts